Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brooks Reed Injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Brooks is officially back at practice. He practiced fully today, although it was a walk-through putting in the gameplan, but Kub was quoted as saying he was moving around nicely out there and was really eager to get back to it.

Kub also said he has a good chance at playing this weekend and that if he makes it through Thursdays and Fridays practices, he'll be out there Sunday.

If I'm Kubiak I would still start Mercilus and let Reed come off the bench. I have been impressed with Mercilus far more than I have with Reed this season.

I agree. But the bigger question is when Reed is back in the flow do we go Mericlus and Reed as the primary rushers with Barwin the one rotated in every now and again.

Really? I would have thought that people would finally understand Brooks Reeds impact on this team when he went down in the Detroit game and all of the sudden Pettigrew and Scheffler racked up 13 catches for 130 yards and a gaggle of mediocre backs started putting up 5 ypc and teams like Indy and New England started gashing us for 130 yards on the ground. I agree that Merci is a more fearsome pass rusher, but Reed is a complete LB in that he plays sideline to sideline, is solid in the short zone on 3rd downs, and is versitile enough to move around and be used in exotic blitz schemes while Merci is pretty much just told to fire at the QB around the edge. There is a need for both, but much like Antonio Smith, it is a mistake to define Brooks impact strictly by sack totals as often it is his efforts that allow sacks to happen. A guy like Kalil this week is used to guys like Merci who will just try to beat him around the corner, but the stunts that Wade uses by shuffling the front 7 are where this system really fires on all cylinders and rattles guys like Ponder. Additionally, in a week where the primary job is to shut AP down and make sure Kyle Rudolph doesn't get open in the red zone, Brooks Reed is more valuable than Merci. I just hope we aren't rushing him as ultimately, I don't see this week mattering much.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Brooks is officially back at practice. He practiced fully today, although it was a walk-through putting in the gameplan, but Kub was quoted as saying he was moving around nicely out there and was really eager to get back to it.

Kub also said he has a good chance at playing this weekend and that if he makes it through Thursdays and Fridays practices, he'll be out there Sunday.

If I'm Kubiak I would still start Mercilus and let Reed come off the bench. I have been impressed with Mercilus far more than I have with Reed this season.

I agree. But the bigger question is when Reed is back in the flow do we go Mericlus and Reed as the primary rushers with Barwin the one rotated in every now and again.

Really? I would have thought that people would finally understand Brooks Reeds impact on this team when he went down in the Detroit game and all of the sudden Pettigrew and Scheffler racked up 13 catches for 130 yards and a gaggle of mediocre backs started putting up 5 ypc and teams like Indy and New England started gashing us for 130 yards on the ground. I agree that Merci is a more fearsome pass rusher, but Reed is a complete LB in that he plays sideline to sideline, is solid in the short zone on 3rd downs, and is versitile enough to move around and be used in exotic blitz schemes while Merci is pretty much just told to fire at the QB around the edge. There is a need for both, but much like Antonio Smith, it is a mistake to define Brooks impact strictly by sack totals as often it is his efforts that allow sacks to happen. A guy like Kalil this week is used to guys like Merci who will just try to beat him around the corner, but the stunts that Wade uses by shuffling the front 7 are where this system really fires on all cylinders and rattles guys like Ponder. Additionally, in a week where the primary job is to shut AP down and make sure Kyle Rudolph doesn't get open in the red zone, Brooks Reed is more valuable than Merci. I just hope we aren't rushing him as ultimately, I don't see this week mattering much.

Being ready to play doesn't necessarilly mean 100%. And given how important he is I'd prefer not to tempt fate with an injury like a groin. As important as you say he is it is important that we have him healthy for the playoffs. That is why I wouldn't put him as the starter/primary OLB just yet. A week to get his bearings back helps us in the ultimate goal.

And if it wasn't clear, I wasn't advocating keeping Mercilus as the starter and Reed coming off the bench. It was whether Mercilus or Barwin is the starter with Reed. I imagine you can't possibly think Barwin has been valuable this year.

#JDI
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Being ready to play doesn't necessarilly mean 100%. And given how important he is I'd prefer not to tempt fate with an injury like a groin. As important as you say he is it is important that we have him healthy for the playoffs. That is why I wouldn't put him as the starter/primary OLB just yet. A week to get his bearings back helps us in the ultimate goal.

And if it wasn't clear, I wasn't advocating keeping Mercilus as the starter and Reed coming off the bench. It was whether Mercilus or Barwin is the starter with Reed. I imagine you can't possibly think Barwin has been valuable this year.

We are in agreement here. I'm all for Reed getting a few reps in this week, but primary need is to have him 100% for the playoff run.

Barwin does more than he gets credit for as well and remains an incredibly unselfish player as he has given up the "money spot" in this defense (WLB) in a contract year for the betterment of the team. I hope that we retain him next year at a reasonable salary as despite his minimal sack total (3) he is still second on the team in TFL (7) and has 37 solo tackles. It's pretty rare to see such a large gap in solo tackles and assists (37 solo, 7 assists) with a front 7 player which tells me that he has been a sure tackler often outside on an island. Just for comparison's sake, Bradie James has 38 solo tackles and 26 assists. I still think Barwin has a big game in him this year like last year in Jacksonville where he notched 4 sacks and 10 tackles (a game that probably set expectations for too high for this year as 7.5 sacks vs. 11.5 is huge perceptually but it really was just one great game against a really bad rookie QB).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: