Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harbaugh starting Kaepernick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Personally I like going for the jugular, and taking calculated risks. Playing at a high level where errors won't cost us. .

I like going for the jugular and taking calculated risks too. One of the things I hate most about our team - and I fear this goes back to Jim, not just to Roman, is that it always seems we play "not to lose" rather than to win. I would prefer us to throw more deep passes. I would prefer us to not sit on the ball when we have a lead. I would prefer us to use more multiple receiver sets and fewer "jumbo" packages. But I don't want to see our QB try to thread the ball into a very tight window a long way downfield, or drop back over 20 yards into our own endzone trying to make something out of nothing. It just comes down to the results of the calculation in that "calculated risk" you are talking about. Simple fact of football - the team with the fewest turnovers is highly likely to win. I'm sure that is very much more highly correlated to winning than the QB who throws for the most yards in a game is.

Like a lot of things in life there's a continuum and perhaps you and I just draw the line in different places on that continuum.

Whole-heartedly agree with the bolded. A lot of quarterbacks that throw for 400+ yards do so because they don't have a good defense and they're shooting it out. Or, they're throwing interceptions and have to make up for the 7 points they just gave up. Yardage is a horrendously overvalued statistic. Especially in General/Comparisons.

I'm perfectly fine with 200-250 yards per game and getting the win. Both Alex and Colin can do that. Colin does heave it downfield more, where Alex prefers the dink-and-dunk offense. Sometimes, the downfield pass is the best option. Your receivers get open, play action draws defenders in, good quarterbacks can trick a safety, etc... But, there are those quarterbacks that just throw them to be flashy. And, they usually have a lot of interceptions and not a very good win record.

Colin has the raw talent to make the throws and get the ball to its destination in the blink of an eye. This is something Alex has struggled in, but has also made vast improvements as well. I think Colin will get much better. I just....I have to say it again...didn't like the timing. I wanted ring #6 this year. I don't see us doing that with a rookie learning curve in the works, despite how excited I am of his potential.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Personally I like going for the jugular, and taking calculated risks. Playing at a high level where errors won't cost us. .

I like going for the jugular and taking calculated risks too. One of the things I hate most about our team - and I fear this goes back to Jim, not just to Roman, is that it always seems we play "not to lose" rather than to win. I would prefer us to throw more deep passes. I would prefer us to not sit on the ball when we have a lead. I would prefer us to use more multiple receiver sets and fewer "jumbo" packages. But I don't want to see our QB try to thread the ball into a very tight window a long way downfield, or drop back over 20 yards into our own endzone trying to make something out of nothing. It just comes down to the results of the calculation in that "calculated risk" you are talking about. Simple fact of football - the team with the fewest turnovers is highly likely to win. I'm sure that is very much more highly correlated to winning than the QB who throws for the most yards in a game is.

Like a lot of things in life there's a continuum and perhaps you and I just draw the line in different places on that continuum.

Whole-heartedly agree with the bolded. A lot of quarterbacks that throw for 400+ yards do so because they don't have a good defense and they're shooting it out. Or, they're throwing interceptions and have to make up for the 7 points they just gave up. Yardage is a horrendously overvalued statistic. Especially in General/Comparisons.

I'm perfectly fine with 200-250 yards per game and getting the win. Both Alex and Colin can do that. Colin does heave it downfield more, where Alex prefers the dink-and-dunk offense. Sometimes, the downfield pass is the best option. Your receivers get open, play action draws defenders in, good quarterbacks can trick a safety, etc... But, there are those quarterbacks that just throw them to be flashy. And, they usually have a lot of interceptions and not a very good win record.

Colin has the raw talent to make the throws and get the ball to its destination in the blink of an eye. This is something Alex has struggled in, but has also made vast improvements as well. I think Colin will get much better. I just....I have to say it again...didn't like the timing. I wanted ring #6 this year. I don't see us doing that with a rookie learning curve in the works, despite how excited I am of his potential.

One of the biggest reasons I want to see us throw more passes downfield, and why I appreciate what Kap's arm and attitude bring is not that it improves the passing game. It's because it helps to open up the running game. If you're only throwing 5 to 10 yards the defenders covering the pass can still make a play if it's a run. Take them 20 yards downfield and they're either out of the play or are only making a stop after we've gotten a long gainer on the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

One of the biggest reasons I want to see us throw more passes downfield, and why I appreciate what Kap's arm and attitude bring is not that it improves the passing game. It's because it helps to open up the running game. If you're only throwing 5 to 10 yards the defenders covering the pass can still make a play if it's a run. Take them 20 yards downfield and they're either out of the play or are only making a stop after we've gotten a long gainer on the ground.

Agreed, but that makes me wonder why were fairly ineffective against the Rams. I know their defense has improved dramatically, but man....we should be able to gash defenses with a multiple threat quarterback and Gore in the equation. However, they pretty much did what we did all last year. Stop the run and make you one-dimensional. Not sure what happened to our run game. We run some of the best run plays in the league, but the Rams had our number nearly every time. Even with a strong arm, play extension ability, and a good RB, if you're forced to pass nearly every down, you're still going to get shut down.

Towards the end of the game, Gore was done. This isn't the first game he's looked rough in the fourth quarter, either. He needs rest, but more importantly, he needs help. It's only a matter of time before Gore gets hurt with that many snaps, and without Hunter, our running game is done for. Why on Earth aren't we seeing James in for 5-10 snaps?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Towards the end of the game, Gore was done. This isn't the first game he's looked rough in the fourth quarter, either. He needs rest, but more importantly, he needs help. It's only a matter of time before Gore gets hurt with that many snaps, and without Hunter, our running game is done for. Why on Earth aren't we seeing James in for 5-10 snaps?

A thousand times yes to this. Gore's late season injuries and lack of production have become routine. The whole approach this year was to play Hunter several snaps a game, even if/when Gore is running well to spare some wear and tear on his body and get him some rest so he'd be relatively healthy and fresh for the playoffs. He just looked dead tired by the end of the game yesterday. Somebody else needs to take on that load. Personally I hope it's James. If not, then Jacobs or Dix. I don't care. But we can't just keep running Gore until his body falls to pieces.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:

A thousand times yes to this. Gore's late season injuries and lack of production have become routine. The whole approach this year was to play Hunter several snaps a game, even if/when Gore is running well to spare some wear and tear on his body and get him some rest so he'd be relatively healthy and fresh for the playoffs. He just looked dead tired by the end of the game yesterday. Somebody else needs to take on that load. Personally I hope it's James. If not, then Jacobs or Dix. I don't care. But we can't just keep running Gore until his body falls to pieces.

Even in limited time Kendall has looked better than Gore most of this year and last year. Gore is still good but this late in the season he is barely a threat to go for big yards or even go over 100. Someone has to step up.

To be honest I've been kind of bummed that Gore gets as much playing time as he does. He gets a lot of 1 yard gains or gets stuffed. When Hunter is on the field I get excited because he doesn't get stuffed like Gore. It has been this way since last season. His injury was huge.
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Even in limited time Kendall has looked better than Gore most of this year and last year. Gore is still good but this late in the season he is barely a threat to go for big yards or even go over 100. Someone has to step up.

To be honest I've been kind of bummed that Gore gets as much playing time as he does. He gets a lot of 1 yard gains or gets stuffed. When Hunter is on the field I get excited because he doesn't get stuffed like Gore. It has been this way since last season. His injury was huge.

Well, there have been many games where Gore gets 5+ yards on nearly every play. I love me some Gore, but the one thing Gore lacks is the ability to get passed the secondary. Either he just runs north/south or if he does get by someone(usually via a block by someone else), he just doesn't have the afterburner to go the distance. I think Gore, if he stays in San Francisco, will become our short yardage back.

I love Hunter, too, though. He's not the guy that will grind out 8 more yards after contact usually, but the guy can find holes and dance through them. I'm just waiting for him to break some tackles and get a 70 yard run. He seems to have the speed, but I can't really remember too many big runs by him. He's had a few, they're just not fresh in my mind right now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Well, that's everything I want in our game too. When it comes to our QB throwing into a tight window a long way, I don't mind it, if it's one on one and our guy has the advantage. However, I wouldn't want our guy throwing into triple coverage down field. Looks like we have similarities in what we want in an offensive attack. You just appreciate the aspect of no errors more than I do, and that's fine. Working in marketing all my life, it's been beaten in my head to take risks, and if you screw up you better be able to fix it. We don't get awards for not making mistakes, but get rewarded is a risk pays off, so it's just how I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
Agreed, but that makes me wonder why were fairly ineffective against the Rams. I know their defense has improved dramatically, but man....we should be able to gash defenses with a multiple threat quarterback and Gore in the equation. However, they pretty much did what we did all last year. Stop the run and make you one-dimensional. Not sure what happened to our run game. We run some of the best run plays in the league, but the Rams had our number nearly every time. Even with a strong arm, play extension ability, and a good RB, if you're forced to pass nearly every down, you're still going to get shut down.

I think you're underestimating their defense too much. A Fisher defense is much better than a Spags defense. Fisher has been a master a creating amazing defensive fronts, and the fact that his was set for him upon arrival made it much more easier for him. This Rams defensive unit is no joke.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Ataal wrote:

I think you're underestimating their defense too much. A Fisher defense is much better than a Spags defense. Fisher has been a master a creating amazing defensive fronts, and the fact that his was set for him upon arrival made it much more easier for him. This Rams defensive unit is no joke.

And he has done it with far lesser talent before. Right now, he has two stud first round DEs, a rookie DT with a lot of potential, and a highly athletic former third rounder at the other spot. They really are no joke.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Ataal wrote:

I don't think I'm underestimating their defense. We gashed Seattle, and they have a much better run defense, despite their recent drop in the rankings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
Ataal wrote:

I don't think I'm underestimating their defense. We gashed Seattle, and they have a much better run defense, despite their recent drop in the rankings.

Bringing Seattle into this doesn't mean anything, we just match up worse in the run against the Rams than we do Seattle. Seattle's run defense hasn't really stopped that many teams as of late, since we've face them the Vikings ran for 243 against them and the Dolphins ran 189 against them. While that same Dolphin team was held down to 36 rushing yards against the Rams. Seattle might have more talent on that line, but the Rams line seems to be a more dominant one against the run at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we see a good game from Kaep on Sunday. He made his mistakes and will learn from them. The coaches learned from their mistakes too I'm sure we'll see that by the play selection on Sunday.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I think we see a good game from Kaep on Sunday. He made his mistakes and will learn from them. The coaches learned from their mistakes too I'm sure we'll see that by the play selection on Sunday.

I think Kaep will bounce back in a big way this sunday. He's back at home and should be really hungry for a win after the way the rams game ended. I know if I was on the 49ers after what happen last week. All i would be thinking about is getting back on the field and erasing that horrible loss and taking my frustrations out on the Dolphins.

The 49ers NEED this win in a bad way too. The Seahawks are getting a little too close for comfort.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

I think Kaep will bounce back in a big way this sunday. He's back at home and should be really hungry for a win after the way the rams game ended. I know if I was on the 49ers after what happen last week. All i would be thinking about is getting back on the field and erasing that horrible loss and taking my frustrations out on the Dolphins.

The 49ers NEED this win in a bad way too. The Seahawks are getting a little too close for comfort.
Yeah every win matters now for both teams. We can't let them back in the race for the division.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An article about Colin Kaepernick and his birth mom.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--birth-mother-still-trying-to-connect-with-new-49ers-starting-qb-colin-kaepernick-052911423.html

Quote:
Heidi Russo has watched her son from the stands, half of her desperately wanting to rise and wave her arms with excitement in hopes that Colin Kaepernick might finally recognize her. She dreams, after all these years, that there might finally be a connection with the young man she once gave up for adoption.

I'm rooting hard for this kid to be an amazing QB. I was pretty vocal about not wanting to draft him, but I've completely turned around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 32 of 44

Jump to: