Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harbaugh starting Kaepernick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:
Chiming in here one one aspect of this that's troubling and don't know if it was brought up already or not but the union and the NFL have to be worried that a player lost his job after sustaining a concussion. Alex and the Niners did the right thing and went through the protocol for the injury. Then when he's cleared physically he's lost his job, not through his play but after sustaining the injury the NFL is most worried about. Does this send a message to other veterans that they could lose their jobs to this injury and maybe they shouldn't say anything when getting hit?

Either way been a fan of Kap for a long time living here where he went to college and wish him the best, just not this weekend.

Yes, it absolutely does say that. Alex "self reported" that he was still having symptoms - and doing that might end up costing him millions. Not sure there's much the league can do about situations like this. But it's almost inevitable that players will tend to hide concussions in the future.

Well, the league probably has a clause somewhere that if a player fails to report an injury, they can't be sued over it. It's the nature of the business. So it's really up to the player. If players want to trade their long-term health for millions of dollar, they shouldn't be allowed to whine about it afterward. I think the league is doing a good job of warning them, and I think seeing former players share their past experience with concussions is an important lesson to current players. In the NFL, just like in society in general, I prefer to educate and leave the responsibility to the individuals. If the individuals choose to overlook what they've been told, they do it at their own risk.

In Alex's case, he was probably just hoping he'd shake it off and he could go on. Because he knew that leaving the field could mean never stepping on it again. When he saw the concussion was a good one, it was over. Nature of the business...

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get over it dude. Geez. I made a comment about a player. Don't go to NFL General if you don't approve of stuff like that. People there call guys garbage, turds, worthless etc...
I'm sorry if I offended anyone here with that. All I was saying that Alex was widely considered one of the biggest busts of all time for a #1 pick. Harbaugh helped him be the safe QB we see today, well not anymore. You know what I mean though. If Harbaugh didn't keep Alex he would've probably been a backup somewhere in the NFL. I'm surprised Alex lasted so long with us TBH. Most teams would've got rid of him long ago but we kept him and kept making him rich when he didn't deserve it.

The writing was on the wall for Alex. Kaep was drafted to replace him and that time is now. Kaep adds a new element to this offense and hopefully it turns out to be something great. I am excited and intrigued for the future of this team with Kaep and Harbaugh at the helm. We have a beast defense and a great offense to work with. This could be the beginning of something special and you guys are dwelling on Alex's feelings. Screw feelings, this is a business and it's cutthroat as we have witnessed first hand. I'm rollin with what this team has planned.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
We all know perfectly well what is going on here... just let it go. Times have changed...

Yes, please. Can we all work on the bolded?

As for the word in question, I asked the webmaster his thoughts on the matter, so if we can return to the Kaepernick-ish discussion specifically, that'd be great.

Please and thank you.
I don't see any cause for that, as he called Alex a turd. It wasn't an insult directed at any poster as far as I could tell. If I want to say Brandon Jacobs is a turd I see no problem with that at all, and would actually be offended (not really, just bugged) by the over-sensitive censoring should it be disallowed.

The very first listed for the forum is

"1. Do not post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs."

Since more than one of us appears to be confused whether that only applies to language directed at another forum poster, or is it a general rule that also applies even when talking about players, could one of the mods please clarify that for us so that we don't run afoul of this rule in the future.

The rule applies to everyone and everything (posters, players, etc.). I'd prefer people would use a more constructive term than "turd," but I have clarified this and it's not a term the website considers 'vulgar' or 'obscene.'

That said, we will not tolerate anyone calling another member a 'turd,' or any name for that matter, as discussions should always be about the 49ers and not other members.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
We all know perfectly well what is going on here... just let it go. Times have changed...

Yes, please. Can we all work on the bolded?

As for the word in question, I asked the webmaster his thoughts on the matter, so if we can return to the Kaepernick-ish discussion specifically, that'd be great.

Please and thank you.
I don't see any cause for that, as he called Alex a turd. It wasn't an insult directed at any poster as far as I could tell. If I want to say Brandon Jacobs is a turd I see no problem with that at all, and would actually be offended (not really, just bugged) by the over-sensitive censoring should it be disallowed.

The very first listed for the forum is

"1. Do not post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs."

Since more than one of us appears to be confused whether that only applies to language directed at another forum poster, or is it a general rule that also applies even when talking about players, could one of the mods please clarify that for us so that we don't run afoul of this rule in the future.

i wasnt going to say anything , but this just annoyed me.

i think the key here is to notice the use of the bolded, not agianst the law to call someone a 'turd", you are arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. Although, i will say that the rule in its written context doesnt make sense, but lets not be ridiculous and just realize it means not to threaten each other or us hate speech.

Now lets put on our big boy pants and be adults about it.[/b]

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - let's get back to football. If there's any further clarification needed on this, please just PM myself or SoCal so that way we can get back to arguing relentlessly in 4 separate threads about the quarterback (for the on-topic threads, anyway).

Madmike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
This could be the beginning of something special and you guys are dwelling on Alex's feelings. Screw feelings, this is a business and it's cutthroat as we have witnessed first hand.

My feelings exactly. Then again I think Alex's positive contributions the last season and a half have been downplayed a bit. He protected the ball well but limited the offensive potential. Like it or not, the future is here. And for that we thank you(JH).

De Oppresso Liber
cHaInBrEaKeRiii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
This could be the beginning of something special and you guys are dwelling on Alex's feelings. Screw feelings, this is a business and it's cutthroat as we have witnessed first hand.

My feelings exactly. Then again I think Alex's positive contributions the last season and a half have been downplayed a bit. He protected the ball well but limited the offensive potential. Like it or not, the future is here. And for that we thank you(JH).

Yup, completely agree. I can't believe how some people are taking this. Wow is all I gotta say. But I'm ready and happy for the Kap era. I'm ready for our offense being explosive. I'm pumped.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man we have become extremely hypocritical around here and it become sickning. I had a few pm's last nite with a very good poster thanking me for being around more. Its tough because people cant express their feelings about one player but all others are fair game. Over the years i have hear all kinds of terminology about nearly every player and coach around here and never a peep of backlash. Ive seen emotioncons that resemble crap about players and no one says anything. Its difficult to stick around or at least post. Now i see very good posters not posting because alex isnt starting and it makes you wonder if they care more about alex than they do the niners. Then i see other posters only post about alex not being here as if there only love or motivation is his demise.

My personal opinion about the QB controversy is that players lose their position because of injury all the time. young vs montana is a good example. Luck bs peyton is another. But it happens with many players not just the QB. I also feel that harbs wanted Kap to get more PT but didnt really know how to do it and the opportunity rose. Actually this type of thing happens alot as well especially when there is a starter in a "contract" year(alex isnt in a contract year but has a big roster bonus due at seasons end)and there is a young incumbant. You start reducing their snaps, carries, touches etc. I dont feel alex lost his job to injury per se. The injury just open the door of opportunity for Kap. Now if he didnt walk thru that door and knock it down he would have went back to the bench. But JH had to know whether or not he had a future QB in Kap or not and there really was no other time to find out and the perfect storm kind of arose for harbs and Kap.

No one here should feel sorry for alex. Or anyone who has accomplished what he has in his life. If he were a undrafted player who finally got his shot and maybe on his way to his first long term contract to help support his family i probably would. But he has made millions. Was the first overall pick a heisman finalist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomani Jones on the situation: http://youtu.be/cF2GW6t5s9k
Really funny guy.

Huge Kaepernick fan. Wish I would have pimped him out a little more before he broke out. Would have looked really smart. So uh...keep winning games by lots of points and stuff and then maybe throw us a game in the playoffs or something? Yeah?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
No one here should feel sorry for alex. Or anyone who has accomplished what he has in his life. If he were a undrafted player who finally got his shot and maybe on his way to his first long term contract to help support his family i probably would. But he has made millions. Was the first overall pick a heisman finalist.

Thousands of players get bad news each year in the NFL. At least 1184 players get cut from the NFL EVERY year after the preseason, many of whom will never set foot on a NFL field again. Many players league-wide suffer terrible and painful injuries that could cost them anywhere from a year to their career, and plenty of players currently in the NFL are playing their last season, whether its because of skill, age, or whatever.

So do i feel bad for Alex, well after seeing him on the sidelines how could you not. It was awkward and looked painful for him to sit there and watch another QB take the reins. But that shouldn't even factor into the decision. Start the better player. Its tough for him but its irrelevant when it comes to making the best football decision for the team.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
John232

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
Now i see very good posters not posting because alex isnt starting and it makes you wonder if they care more about alex than they do the niners. Then i see other posters only post about alex not being here as if there only love or motivation is his demise.

I've tried to bring this up multiple times but it's a touchy subject. it gets to the point where I don't care discussing anything on this forum and I just go to /r/49ers

sbrown wrote:

And this is all it really comes down too. CK7 came in and played just as well, if not better then Alex Smith. He's also younger, cheaper and is "new".

IIRC Harbaugh is quoted as saying" You have to want to take someones job" when speaking to incoming freshman at Stanford. I also don't see how this can be held against Harbaugh or the FO. They're making a move they think is best for their team and they know the 49ers better then anyone else in the country.

Move on guys, we have a young athletic QB who checks out in all things that make up pro-bowl QB's. This could very well end up being the start of a dynasty. We don't want one superbowl, we want multiple. That's what 49er fans expect, thats what our history says and more importantly that's what Jed York and the 49ers origination expects. He's not settling on just competing for this year. If you have a guy that potentially gets you to that caliber of a team you do not hesitate on making that switch.

Sorry if I rambled but it's really sucky when we have great QB play and most of our fan base is still grumbling.

xsaMainevent on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was the best thread for this one:

Jim Harbaugh has done this before

Quote:
The true star is Jim Harbaugh, the man courageous/crazy enough to bench the NFL's No. 5-rated QB for an unproven player while the best record in the league remains in reach. "What tips the scales is Colin has the hot hand," Harbaugh said Wednesday. I think what tips the scale is Harbaugh, a guy who trusts his own voice so much that he would bench a guy who went 20-6-1 for him and was 18-for-19 with 3 TDs and no interceptions in his last full game. I don't know whether there's another coach out there who would rock the boat like that. Nor should there be. You're not supposed to do that … mess with a winning formula. But that's Harbaugh, writing his own story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8691524/jim-harbaugh-makes-another-bold-decision

justo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for totally intruding in on this conversation but what are you guys arguing about? Seems like a pretty heated conversation TBH
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Sorry for totally intruding in on this conversation but what are you guys arguing about? Seems like a pretty heated conversation TBH

Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick

That's the short story. The long story will require 8 years of forum thread digging.

justo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
justo wrote:

Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick

That's the short story. The long story will require 8 years of forum thread digging.
Wasn't it pretty obvious that Kaep was going to be the starter in the future? Smith was a FA when the Niners were trying to pitch Manning and wasn't Harbaugh like super in Luck's ear to coach up Kaepernick in the offense during the lockout? Just seems like the team was never really committed to Smith. Not a totally bad thing. You see across the league teams that are too tied up with the one they got now to go (risk) cashing another one. When you got two decent ones then you are in good position. When the other one takes the job over and you think he has more talent and upside then that's even better, right? Look at the Bledsoe/Brady, Favre/Rodgers stuff. Teams went with the young, hot hand with a higher upside instead of the vet that would be tied down with most of the teams in the league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 22 of 44

Jump to: