Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harbaugh starting Kaepernick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blast

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex is a class act that's for sure, kids has always gotten the bad end of the stick. A lot of players would've faded into the darkness without ever being heard from again, after going through what he has.
John232

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
niner530 wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
Feel so bad for Alex though. Talk about an unlucky career.

Yea, i feel bad for the guy as well has he lost his starting job every time hes been injured?

Oh please no QB maybe in history got as many chances as Alex Smith. The guy from 2005 to 2010 got chance after chance.

If there is a guy to feel sorry for it's a Tim Tebow who got kicked to the curb in his FIRST season as a starter after leading a team to a playoff win.

Bottomline is that 2011 was a career year for Alex Smith with a whopping 19 total TDs in 16 games

Harbaugh knows that with that type of game manager, that his chances of winning a Super Bowl are much greater with a guy who has more potential than that

That's why he's rolling with Kaepernick

He may not be the next Steve Young, but you know for sure that Alex Smith isn't one

lol...You must be new to the 49er forum..

No one is going to disagree with you on the potential of Kaepernick, but Alex Smith really never had a fair chance. Most of the guys who were his coaches aren't working jobs even remotely close to the position they had with us. Most of the guys he had for weapons aren't in the league.

Kevan Barlow, Darrell Jackson, Johnnie Morton(our coach), Curtis Conway, Jonas Jennings, Arnaz Battle, Maurice Hicks, one good year from Issac Bruce, Josh Morgan....

With the exception of bruce and too a lesser extent Morgan, those guys were Jokes when they were playing. That's what our franchise gave to Smith for offensive relief.

Then we had a defense that was just as inconsistent where Mark Roman and Parys Haralson were regular starters.

If you think Alex Smith has had a "Fair Chance' then you are extremely uninformed and you're merely taking this oppurtunity to just bash Smith.

There are quite a few fans who have wanted to upgrade form Smith, I'm one of them. But none of us are furious with Smith and thought he deserved a benching like this. Or at least it wasn't a completely unargued opinion. Even guys like SoCal and Steady could see the logic in starting Smith.

He's not a bad QB by ANY means. Limited? Yes, Bad? Not even close. Like I said in the other thread, ultimately Kaepernick had a lot more potential and since this game it really felt like he would be given the job at some point...I just did not expect it to be mid-season after one game. Really comes off as a whimsical decsion.

xsaMainevent on the sig
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
niner530 wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:

Yea, i feel bad for the guy as well has he lost his starting job every time hes been injured?

Oh please no QB maybe in history got as many chances as Alex Smith. The guy from 2005 to 2010 got chance after chance.

If there is a guy to feel sorry for it's a Tim Tebow who got kicked to the curb in his FIRST season as a starter after leading a team to a playoff win.

Bottomline is that 2011 was a career year for Alex Smith with a whopping 19 total TDs in 16 games

Harbaugh knows that with that type of game manager, that his chances of winning a Super Bowl are much greater with a guy who has more potential than that

He may not be the next Steve Young, but you know for sure that Alex Smith isn't one

No one is going to disagree with you on the potential of Kaepernick, but Alex Smith really never had a fair chance. Most of the guys who were his coaches aren't working jobs even remotely close to the position they had with us. Most of the guys he had for weapons aren't in the league.

Kevan Barlow, Darrell Jackson, Johnnie Morton(our coach), Curtis Conway, Jonas Jennings, Arnaz Battle, Maurice Hicks, one good year from Issac Bruce, Josh Morgan....

With the exception of bruce and too a lesser extent Morgan, those guys were Jokes when they were playing. That's what our franchise gave to Smith for offensive relief.

Then we had a defense that was just as inconsistent where Mark Roman and Parys Haralson were regular starters.

If you think Alex Smith has had a "Fair Chance' then you are extremely uninformed and you're merely taking this oppurtunity to just bash Smith.

There are quite a few fans who have wanted to upgrade form Smith, I'm one of them. But none of us are furious with Smith and thought he deserved a benching like this. Or at least it wasn't a completely unargued opinion. Even guys like SoCal and Steady could see the logic in starting Smith.

He's not a bad QB by ANY means. Limited? Yes, Bad? Not even close. Like I said in the other thread, ultimately Kaepernick had a lot more potential and since this game it really felt like he would be given the job at some point...I just did not expect it to be mid-season after one game. Really comes off as a whimsical decsion.

Let's not forget the lack of support he had from coaches... Singletary, Nolan, Mike Martz... the revolving door of offensive coordinators that featured one passable guy (Turner)... and he finally gets one coach who stands behind him, puts up a year and a half of very good QB play, and has a young guy light up an elite defense when he misses a game.

I like the move. CK is more talented than Alex and has a way higher ceiling. Just feel bad for the way Alex's career has gone. Everyone in SF hated the guy. There were we want Carr chants at one point. Just some awful luck for the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
niner530 wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:

So? Hes had a great TE in Davis for most of his career. Jackson, Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan. Hes had a Pro Bowl RB to take the pressure off of him. Noone should feel sorry for Alex he put himself in this situation. I really wouldnt care if he took shots and threw 3 INTs a game because at least he would try to do deep. You have the best defense in the league, I wouldnt care if the opp team starts at our 20 because of Alex's INTs I would have trust in our defense. As should he. Kaepernick played against the 2nd ranked defense in the league and lit them up. While Smith played solid against GB we saw how he fared against NY. While Kaepernick WILL have his low points at least he has a Elite Defense who will try their best to hold those INTS and FUMBS to punts and 3 points. No more excuses Alex
in po we trust

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for Alex, but whether it's Kaep or Peyton Manning or Troy Smith or Shaun Hill .. there is always gonna be that threat of Alex being replaced, because his style of play leaves a lot to be desired. You see his games against the Saints and Bills where he hits receivers in tiny windows or hits back shoulder throws or drops perfectly thrown deep balls right into a receivers hands and it makes you wonder where is this guy the other 90% of the time. It's a constant feeling that he's leaving plays to be made on the field after a game. Now whether you wanna say that's a product of him or the talent around him is up to you, but if Kaepernick can come in and do those things and do them consistently with the same talent then he should easily be the starter. However, if Kaep comes in Sunday to New Orleans and completely lays an egg then it'll probably be back to slow and steady with flashes of brilliance Alex for the rest of the year until the next challenger approaches.

*(as an extra blocker)
John232

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny/Patrick wrote:
John232 wrote:
BBIB wrote:
niner530 wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:

So? Hes had a great TE in Davis for most of his career. Jackson, Edwards, Crabtree, Morgan. Hes had a Pro Bowl RB to take the pressure off of him. Noone should feel sorry for Alex he put himself in this situation. I really wouldnt care if he took shots and threw 3 INTs a game because at least he would try to do deep. You have the best defense in the league, I wouldnt care if the opp team starts at our 20 because of Alex's INTs I would have trust in our defense. As should he. Kaepernick played against the 2nd ranked defense in the league and lit them up. While Smith played solid against GB we saw how he fared against NY. While Kaepernick WILL have his low points at least he has a Elite Defense who will try their best to hold those INTS and FUMBS to punts and 3 points. No more excuses Alex

So...he had one great player on offense in Gore(not a receiver) and Vernon Davis. I love VD but he's hot and cold. He's the Terrell Suggs of offensive players.

Braylon Edwards? He sucks. Josh Morgan got benched on a team with very little depth at wide out. Darrell Jackson was a frickin joke. Crabtree was MIA most off-seasons up until this past year(look how it's paying off).

Do we need to bring up the offensive line? or as UofM brought up, the rotating door of coaches?

Your logic is borderline idiotic. If a QB is throwing three INTS a day he's benched after two starts but you like that because he's "trying". I can try to glue a car engine back together but doesn't mean its going to yield the best results. and what do you mean Trust int he Defense? Our success the past two seasons has been based on his ability to trust the defense.

I don't get your logic with the trusting the defense thing. It makes little to no sense to me.

Look, at the end of the day I don't disagree that Kap is potentially a better starter, but I think the timing and manner in which the move was made was poorly handled.

Simply put, there will be NO middle ground on this move.

Harbaugh will either be brilliant or it will be a huge blemish in his career. That's not meant to sound forboding, it's just a fact.

Nolan tied his fate to Smith and now Harbaugh is tying his to Kaepernick.

Going to be a hell of a season.

xsaMainevent on the sig

Last edited by John232 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny/Patrick wrote:
Jackson, Edwards

Manny/Patrick wrote:
I really wouldnt care if he took shots and threw 3 INTs a game

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Manny/Patrick wrote:
Jackson, Edwards

Manny/Patrick wrote:
I really wouldnt care if he took shots and threw 3 INTs a game

Yeah..mfw I read that:

xsaMainevent on the sig
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Alex died from some of the posts. It's the right move imo, a very risky one, but one that could pay off in a big way. Alex will get another shot somewhere else, there's no doubt about that. The Jets, Jags, or Browns just to name a few.

Nice article I found while looking around.

Colin Kaepernick is right QB for San Francisco 49ers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098972/article/colin-kaepernick-is-right-qb-for-san-francisco-49ers

Quote:
Smith is a perfectly solid, improving door No. 1. He has improved in all facets of his game since Harbaugh took over, and did it in a way that no one saw coming. Statistically, Smith could be an NFL MVP candidate with his high completion percentage and yards-per-attempt average. Harbaugh has done such a good job with Smith that people actually will be outraged at this decision. (It wasn't long ago that 49ers fans were chanting for David Carr to replace Smith.)

Quote:
Kaepernick is a wildly athletic quarterback with clearly improving accuracy. We can't just ignore how well he played Monday night. It was only one start, but it was a one hell of a start. It was the type of start Smith might not be capable of. We don't fault Harbaugh for wanting to see more.

Quote:
Kaepernick allows 49ers coaches to unlock even more of their creativity. That support, the running game and the defense all provide an atmosphere conducive to success for a young quarterback (not to mention this week's opponent, the Saints).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah, wrote everything wrong. Meant to say i wouldnt mind Alex taking shots downfield and while his INTs might go up so will his passing yards and TDs. No much check down crap.
John232

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny/Patrick wrote:
Blah, wrote everything wrong. Meant to say i wouldnt mind Alex taking shots downfield and while his INTs might go up so will his passing yards and TDs. No much check down crap.

lol, I get ya..Smith was solid. But he had his fair share of average games and even a couple outright terrible games.

The move makes sense for a lot of reasons....But it just feels like bad juju.

xsaMainevent on the sig
Manny/Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
Manny/Patrick wrote:

lol, I get ya..Smith was solid. But he had his fair share of average games and even a couple outright terrible games.

The move makes sense for a lot of reasons....But it just feels like bad juju.

I just feel that If and When we play NY in the playoffs hes going to go into 05 form again
49ersfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stat projections for Kaepernick against New Orleans?

His current 2012 statistics- 32/49, 65.3% completion, 9.2 YPA, 2 TD, 0 INT, 6 sacks, 108.3 passer rating (this is apparently the go to stat).

Rushing- 25 carries, 187 yards, 7.5 YPC, 3 TD, 3 fumbles, 1 turnover

The Saints have also struggled against mobile QB's this year- RG3 and Newton specifically.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
USC_Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one is glad to see CK get a chance. If he fails so be it we will move back to Smith.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pry that this move works out. I cant take another season of getting my hopes up, for it to all fizzle toward the end. Another thing to look at with this move is how the vets on the team will perceive this move. I know there is no loyalty in pro sports, but how do you trust a guy who backs you one minute and then throws you away the next especially when your injured. I just dont think you make this kind of move in season. This is the definition of cutthroat.
At this rate all I care about is winning and we need to keep pace to at least get the second seed. Rollercoaster season for sure.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 3 of 44

Jump to: