Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do with Matt Flynn...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
If we're not gonna play Flynn, trade him. It just makes sense. It's stupid to keep a backup who is making more than the starter. It's also not fair to Flynn, since he came here to be the starter and he wasn't even given a chance.

Trade him, because we could get a high pick for him. There are a lot of teams that need an immediate starter at QB and this is gonna be a poor year to draft a starting QB. The best QB's in college are mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. I could see a team like the Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles or Cardinals paying upwards of a 2nd round pick for Flynn. He should be starting next year. Why waste that pick by keeping Flynn and sitting him on the bench.

If you can get a high pick, take it and draft a late rounder to backup Wilson, since Pete has no intentions of using Flynn anyway. We could then turn around and use that pick to draft a WR, OLB or RT, one of the positions of immediate need.

Flynn was given the chance he just got beat out by Russell Wilson he will probably get cut no team really looked at him besides us and the Dolphins just don't see the trade value.

Disagree. Only us and the dolphins looked at Flynn because everyone else was looking at Manning. He has un-tapped potential and a lot of teams could use QB help. I can see him getting traded no later than free agency, when teams know their draft position and know who they're pursuing in free agency.

Let's be honest, I doubt he'll comfortably sit another season on the bench.

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I don't think salary is much of a factor here. We're paying our 2 QBs less than most teams are paying just their starter. Considering that, I don't think they care how much the backup is making. If you get a good offer like a 3rd or even a 4th, you deal him, but anything less than that and he's more valuable to us as a backup.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacks98 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
If we're not gonna play Flynn, trade him. It just makes sense. It's stupid to keep a backup who is making more than the starter. It's also not fair to Flynn, since he came here to be the starter and he wasn't even given a chance.

Trade him, because we could get a high pick for him. There are a lot of teams that need an immediate starter at QB and this is gonna be a poor year to draft a starting QB. The best QB's in college are mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. I could see a team like the Chiefs, Jaguars, Jets, Eagles or Cardinals paying upwards of a 2nd round pick for Flynn. He should be starting next year. Why waste that pick by keeping Flynn and sitting him on the bench.

If you can get a high pick, take it and draft a late rounder to backup Wilson, since Pete has no intentions of using Flynn anyway. We could then turn around and use that pick to draft a WR, OLB or RT, one of the positions of immediate need.

Flynn was given the chance he just got beat out by Russell Wilson he will probably get cut no team really looked at him besides us and the Dolphins just don't see the trade value.

I disagree with everything you just said.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, I don't think salary is much of a factor here. We're paying our 2 QBs less than most teams are paying just their starter. Considering that, I don't think they care how much the backup is making. If you get a good offer like a 3rd or even a 4th, you deal him, but anything less than that and he's more valuable to us as a backup.

Personally, I take nothing lower than a 3rd. He's worth it. He's a quality starter on most teams.
Boom!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:
^^Russell Wilson isn't a running QB.

I honestly think RW will be starting for the Jets next season. I could see it happening.

RW starting for the Jets next season??? How can you see that happening????

i think he means flynn...or i hope so

My bad. I meant I could see Matt Flynn playing for the Jets next season.

Legion of Boom!
chpjns15

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! wrote:
imani wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:

I honestly think RW will be starting for the Jets next season. I could see it happening.

You scared me for a second Wink

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
Boom! wrote:
imani wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:

I could easily see the Jets giving up a 2nd round pick for Flynn. They are desperate as QB is the achilles heel of the team and he's better than any QB entering this draft.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
chpjns15 wrote:
Boom! wrote:
imani wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:

Why would any team be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for him after no team was willing to give up anything to get him from the Packers?

I could easily see the Jets giving up a 2nd round pick for Flynn. They are desperate as QB is the achilles heel of the team and he's better than any QB entering this draft.

TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
chpjns15 wrote:
Boom! wrote:
imani wrote:
klyon7634 wrote:
Boom! wrote:

Why would any team be willing to give up a 2nd rounder for him after no team was willing to give up anything to get him from the Packers?

1. Because desperation has set in. Teams like the Chiefs, Jags, Jets and Eagles are in dire straits at QB. They essentially HAVE to make a change at QB and the other QB's on their roster aren't starting material.

2. This is a very poor QB class, unlike last season. It's not deep and there isn't really an elite guy or guys in this class. The options for QB starved teams is very limited. Looking at NFL backups that might be available, who can be quality starters, Flynn is at the top of a very, very short list.

3. One year, changes a lot of things. I truly believe Flynn's value has gone up, due to timing.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You could have said the same thing last offseason. Bad reason.

2. Fair point.

3. His value has gone up since he's now making more money, lost his job to a rookie, and has remained on the bench? I'm sure....
bobob123

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we can't trade him this year, that time has passed!... But if Wilson shows signs of progression the rest of this year and hopefully into the playoffs!, Please! Pray , I say shop Flynn in the draft next year, with how Pete & John like to wheel-&-deal in the draft, I think we could get a huge return for him.... If we can get one high round pick for him say like a 2nd or 3rd that would be great, and even if we could get a 4th & 5th-or-6th that would be a good move as well...

"Guess what! I got a fever, and the only prescription, is MORE COWBELL!!" - Christopher Walken
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
1. You could have said the same thing last offseason. Bad reason.

2. Fair point.

3. His value has gone up since he's now making more money, lost his job to a rookie, and has remained on the bench? I'm sure.....

To be fair, he has a very reasonable contract for a starting QB. Any team would love to have a solid starting QB, at Flynn's price.

It's still debateable to me if he "lost" his job to a rookie. I still think the rookie was "given" the job and no one is gonna change my mind. Other organizations that understand Pete Carroll, will understand how badly the situation was handled. Very Happy Disagree with me, if you want, but my mind is set.
BBIB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this league with woeful QB play Matt Flynn definitely has SOME trade value but it's not the same as it was last year where those 2 starts were fresh in everyone's mind.

But although it's not saying much, other than Michael Vick, Matt Flynn is the best QB on the market potentially right now in the draft or free agency or who may potentially be traded

The other names are guys like Jason Campbell, Byron Leftwich, David Carr, Matt Leinart, etc

So yeah, I'd take my chances with Flynn if I didn't have a shot at Vick and wanted a veteran QB
Sacks98

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

I disagree with everything you just said.

Ok well we will see what his worth is in the Off Season then if they do decide to trade him.

JJ89 wrote:
Sacks98 wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:

What??? I completely disagree..

How does "Loosing" the job to Wilson give him no trade value? Do you think Wilson is that bad?

I'm not sure about the argument about "loosing" the job

Flynn was injured and couldn't start so Wilson had to be the starter, nobody knows who would've started if Flynn didn't get injured and Wilson showed more than enough to remain the starter - so it isn't fair to hold the "loosing" the job thing against Flynn's value.

There are a lot of teams with questionable QB situations out there.

Jags, Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, Vikings, Cardinals, Jets - all potential teams looking for a QB. The draft this year doesn't even come close to comparing to the Qb class of last year. All this equals greater demand and less supply. I definitely see a market for him this year.

If he doesn't draw attention I can't see why you would cut him? Let him stay until his contract ends, we can afford it. He provides great insurance if anything happened to Russ or if his play fell off a cliff next year.. Furthermore we would properly spend a draft pick on a new backup QB if Flynn is cut.

How do you come to the conclusion that i am calling Wilson bad? I said he beat Flynn out which means they think he is better.
JJ89

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How do you come to the conclusion that i am calling Wilson bad? I said he beat Flynn out which means they think he is better.

You said the fact that Wilson won the job means Flynn has no value. Well Wilson has been great and shows a lot of potential - that doesn't kill his value unless you think Wilson is kind of bad?[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: