Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Take a bow; Bengals defence finishes as AFC #1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Take a bow; Bengals defence finishes as AFC #1 Reply with quote

Thought this from Joe Reedy with the "Cincinnati Enquirer" was worth a mention.

"The Cincinnati Bengals finish the 2013 regular season with the best defense in the AFC, and the third-best in the NFL. They've allowed 305.5 yards per game, which, on average, is 12 yards better than seventh-ranked Houston, who also finished second in the AFC. Cincinnati also finished with the AFC's second-best scoring defense, allowing 19.1 points/game, to the Kansas City Chiefs.

It's the first time that they'll have led the conference on defense since 1983.

The Bengals have held opposing offenses to under 300 yards seven times this season, including each of the past three games when they held Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Baltimore to 290 yards, 209 yards and 222 yards respectively. Cincinnati's defense also finished third in the NFL, allowing opposing offenses to convert 33 percent of their third down opportunities. When the game is played at Paul Brown Stadium this season, that conversion rate drops significantly to 23.1 percent.

It's even more amazing when you consider that Cincinnati lost Pro Bowl defensive tackle Geno Atkins in week 9 and starting cornerback Leon Hall in week 7"

ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing despite the injuries

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Zimmer...

chris00cm wrote:
Lavelle Hawkins figures he's already cut, so YOLO.
Anonymous3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I love Zimmer...

I'd give my left nut for him to never leave.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I love Zimmer...

Getting him to stay may be the single most important off-season move we make.

Not sure I'd give up my left nut for him though.........
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bengals defence went 4-0 v SB winning QB's, scored six defensive TD's, whilst allowing visiting QB's to score only a combined total 8 TD's. Impressive numbers.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
I love Zimmer...

and Burfict. He's the intimidator we've been missing for years.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray we somehow keep Zimmer, I will be so upset if he leaves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this team would be devestated without Zim. If he keeps up interviewing like he has previously we have nothing to worry about. Hopefully he stays Zim and we get to keep him long term. Being regarded as the top Coordinator in football is a nice gig. Especially when you have your defense built the way you want it. Wouldn't surprise me to see MJ93 follow Zim if he leaves though.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been posting threads, but didn't want to start a new one as this might go in here. I was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind ranking your top defensive players and if you can live without them or not or maybe a few you want out of Cincy. Thanks and HappY Holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
Well I have been posting threads, but didn't want to start a new one as this might go in here. I was wondering if you guys wouldnt mind ranking your top defensive players and if you can live without them or not or maybe a few you want out of Cincy. Thanks and HappY Holidays.

We've ended up with the #1 defence in the AFC. I don't want to lose any of 'our guys', including the co-ordinator.

Even guys like Taylor Mays and Rey Maualuga have stepped up a little, and 're-treads' like Adam Jones, Chris Crocker, Terence Newman and Wallace Gilberry continue to play big filling in for injuries.

CB Brandon Ghee is a FA, Vincent Rey is a RFA, Taylor Mays is a FA, Chris Crocker will be the 54th man on the roster at home on the sofa.

The big FA fish will be Michael Johnson, and whether we can find enough to sign him having just given Dunlap and Atkins big raises.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmer is AMAZING.

Scheme>>>>>Elite players

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:

1. Atkins
2. Burifict
3. Nelson
4. Hall
5. Dunlap
6. Newman
7. M. Johnson
8. Gilberry
9. Illoka
10. V. Rey

This is just my opinion, obviously. We lost Emmanuel Lamur in pre-season who is an outstanding nickel (coverage) LB. Taylor Mays replaced him in his role, and looked to have finally found his niche in the NFL, but he suffered a season-ending injury as well. Maualuga has had a solid season, but Vinnie Rey has proven to be a more than adequate replacement in case an injury arises.

The only defender I would like to see let go is Pacman Jones. He is awful. Just really, really awful.

I think it's amazing this team finished 1st in the AFC in total defense while playing half the season with Atkins and Hall, not to mention other serious injuries to various players. A true testament to both the depth of this team and Mike Zimmer, IMO.

Best of luck to the Packers in the NFC. They've always been my 2nd favorite team, though I don't follow them closely and I'll root for the Bengals to beat them by 100 if they play. Smile
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Zimmer is the heart and soul of this team. If he decides to leave this team after the season is over, the defense will not be able to recover from it IMO.

Its Superbowl or bust now.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
I have said it before and I'll say it again. Zimmer is the heart and soul of this team. If he decides to leave this team after the season is over, the defense will not be able to recover from it IMO.

Its Superbowl or bust now.

Looks like Zimmer is an early interview in DC once our season is over.

Zimmer is important, but we'll still be good without him. There are other DC's out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: