Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 12 GDT: Houston visits Detroit... Gobble Gobble
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Why in the world did the coaches take the ball out of Stafford's hands on that final drive? And why in the world did we kick it on 3rd down?

If the snap is botched on third down, the holder can fall on it and kick it again on fourth down. It's a pretty common tactic in sudden death situations.

Okay. I still don't get why they ran it twice after the Scheffler 1st down. Stafford played well today and you take it out of his hands. Trust him. 47 yards isn't a chip shot...

Stafford didn't have that amazing of a game. His completion % was barely 50%. I like the call to run it to minimize the chances of a turn over and that area of the field Hanson is usually automatic.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Why in the world did the coaches take the ball out of Stafford's hands on that final drive? And why in the world did we kick it on 3rd down?

If the snap is botched on third down, the holder can fall on it and kick it again on fourth down. It's a pretty common tactic in sudden death situations.

Okay. I still don't get why they ran it twice after the Scheffler 1st down. Stafford played well today and you take it out of his hands. Trust him. 47 yards isn't a chip shot...

Stafford didn't have that amazing of a game. His completion % was barely 50%. I like the call to run it to minimize the chances of a turn over and that area of the field Hanson is usually automatic.

His completion % isn't a good indicator of how well he played today.

47 yards isn't automatic for anyone no matter how good they have been. Dumb coaching.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
Big Cat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
It's Schwartz's karma. He played not to lose and he did.

it is totally his fault grew fumbled and Hanson missed. don't be an idiot

Kind of a disconnect there. Do you know what karma is?

of course I do. you said he played not to lose but he put us in a position to win twice in ot alone

On our last possession IMO he played not to lose. Instead of trying to get closer he ran the ball twice and make the FG attempt on 3rd down. This was the same thing our opponent did on their second to last possession.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:

of course I do. you said he played not to lose but he put us in a position to win twice in ot alone

On our last possession IMO he played not to lose. Instead of trying to get closer he ran the ball twice and make the FG attempt on 3rd down. This was the same thing our opponent did on their second to last possession.

Twice in the fourth quarter we were borderline in field goal range then Watt gets a sack and we had to punt. It would have been foolish not to run the ball imo.

As has been said in the other thread multiple times, you kick the field goal on third down in case their is a bad snap you still get a shot on fourth down. Very common tactic in sudden death situations.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:

the risk of a turnover was great than the benefit of a TD or a slightly closer FG. Besides, doing it on 3rd gives us another chance if theres a bad snap.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:

the risk of a turnover was great than the benefit of a TD or a slightly closer FG. Besides, doing it on 3rd gives us another chance if theres a bad snap.

Oh please. You can't take the ball out of your franchise quarterback hands because you're afraid of a turnover.

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd of played it the same way at the end if I was Schwartz. How can you expect a coach to not have faith one of the most accurate/consistent kickers in NFL right now?

Tough loss... Tough one. Not disagreeing coaching lost the game but I'm not going to nit pick everything like how they managed the game before the field goal kick, they were in a position to win with that kick, idk what more you want from the coach. Players gotta make the plays to win coaches can only put them in proper position for the right oppertunitty's.

Schwartz needs to "Know the rules", ironic.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
Big Cat wrote:

Oh please. You can't take the ball out of your franchise quarterback hands because you're afraid of a turnover.
But Hanson is one of the most reliable kickers in the league and that would have been good if we were 1 yard closer. If it would have gone in, there'd be no discussion of this.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Calvin Johnson now has 1,257 yards on the year. Just 424 yards away from last years total and 591 yards away from matching Jerry Rices record. With 5 games remaining, will he get close? or will he break it?

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Jrugges

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
So Calvin Johnson now has 1,257 yards on the year. Just 424 yards away from last years total and 591 yards away from matching Jerry Rices record. With 5 games remaining, will he get close? or will he break it?

Ohh man....... Not talking This is what we are left to cheer for, for the rest of the year?

Hm... Will Lions be picking top 10? It's very possible they don't win a remaining game.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Ohh man....... Not talking This is what we are left to cheer for, for the rest of the year?

Hm... Will Lions be picking top 10? It's very possible they don't win a remaining game.

Our team isn't tanking. They just have the toughest schedule of any team this year, by far. We're out of the playoff hunt. We can build on on our strengths, try to iron out our weaknesses. Root for records and pray we get a solid player in the draft to help us immediately (Dee Milliner).

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off Lions fans, Happy Thanksgiving.

Aside from the Packers game, your team's offense made me so freaking nervous. Stafford and Calvin is going to be a sick combo for years to come, and hopefully Broyles can be a good target for Stafford too. (Huge fan of Broyles).

Good luck the rest of the season Lions fan!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

47 yards isn't automatic for anyone no matter how good they have been. Dumb coaching.

Actually it's an accurate indicator of how he played today. Once again he was inconsistent and didn't win the game. Cj made a few circus catches and Broyles chalked up YAC which inflated his yards.

The only statistics which were favourable to Stafford today were yards and the fact he didn't turn the ball over. 31-61 for a 7.2 yard average and a rating of 85.5 isn't a stellar performance in anyone's books. That's not to suggest other players don't also deserve criticism

I do agree 47 yards isn't automatic but Hanson has been consistent this year so I certainly understand why they made the attempt.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Actually it's an accurate indicator of how he played today. Once again he was inconsistent and didn't win the game. Cj made a few circus catches and Broyles chalked up YAC which inflated his yards.

The only statistics which were favourable to Stafford today were yards and the fact he didn't turn the ball over. 31-61 for a 7.2 yard average and a rating of 85.5 isn't a stellar performance in anyone's books. That's not to suggest other players don't also deserve criticism

I do agree 47 yards isn't automatic but Hanson has been consistent this year so I certainly understand why they made the attempt.

Stafford sitting in the pocket 60 plus times when the Texans knew were passing had a whole lot to do with it too.

For the 2nd straight week, not enough runs or screens.

I think there was a stretch from the 4th into OT where we dropped back to pass maybe 20 plus straight times. At no point in which we were in a hurry.

Stafford missed 2 throws early, and then maybe another couple the rest of the game. We had probably 5 drops from our TE's alone. We were in constant 3rd and longs.

Stafford was awesome.

And I agree settling for a 47 yarder was a terrible move. I personally dont like settling for any kick. I want to start playing to win games and not to not lose them.

And Schwartz needs to act like an HC, and not a position coach. Although that just may not be possible.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
ManeLine wrote:

Stafford sitting in the pocket 60 plus times when the Texans knew were passing had a whole lot to do with it too.

For the 2nd straight week, not enough runs or screens.

I think there was a stretch from the 4th into OT where we dropped back to pass maybe 20 plus straight times. At no point in which we were in a hurry.

Stafford missed 2 throws early, and then maybe another couple the rest of the game. We had probably 5 drops from our TE's alone. We were in constant 3rd and longs.

Stafford was awesome.

And I agree settling for a 47 yarder was a terrible move. I personally dont like settling for any kick. I want to start playing to win games and not to not lose them.

And Schwartz needs to act like an HC, and not a position coach. Although that just may not be possible.

Some of the passes you count as drops were on poor balls some of which had far to much velocity. Just because a player can contort and get a hand on the ball doesn't mean he should be catching it. Stafford overthrew open receivers three times. He threw to the wrong spot on two occasions and was plainly through gestures indicating it was his fault.CJ was targeted 17 times today and made eight catches. There was one ball I recall and would consider a drop. Broyles was targeted 12 times, caught six and I recall one drop. While they each may have dropped a pass they both made some difficult catches which other receivers probably wouldn't have caught.

Stafford was close to 12% below this seasons average completion percentage and about 9% below his career completion percentage.

I don't blame Stafford for the loss but I didn't view his performance as close to being awesome. He as well as others share the blame for this one.

I agree about playing to win. I would like to know Schwartz's thought process but it seemed the last few series they weren't getting it done and maybe he just had to much confidence in Hanson's ability.

EDIT: the most consecutive passing plays I found was eleven.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: