Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Woodson's Return
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siman08/OH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that if we return to the 2010 defense, were unstoppable down the stretch. I believe we need Woodson back for that to occur...at S obviously. Though old, i dont think he's done quite yet. After this season he can ride off into the sunset....

This week, with Manning/Cruz/Nicks well see how good our young guys really are...
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Harmon wrote:

O and Woodson doesn't make that play vs megatron that McMillian got beat on. He would of gotten beat deep as well. It is Calvin Johnson

If the ball wasn't under thrown I'd agree. Ed Reed in his prime would have been stretched to make that play. But on a deep ball that is under thrown needs to be broken up if not intercepted. That was inexcusable and a direct result of a trait that Woodson excels in: Awareness.
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siman08/OH wrote:
We all know that if we return to the 2010 defense, were unstoppable down the stretch. I believe we need Woodson back for that to occur...at S obviously. Though old, i dont think he's done quite yet. After this season he can ride off into the sunset....

This week, with Manning/Cruz/Nicks well see how good our young guys really are...

Woodson isn't playing anywhere near his 2010 level though.

I actually like this defense more than our 2010 defense. While that group made more bigger plays, this group lets up less big plays and more stout vs the run. We dont have a younger Woodson or a top notch safety in Nick Collins back there so we have to play to our strengths and play solid fundamentaly sound football IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
Siman08/OH wrote:

I actually like this defense more than our 2010 defense. While that group made more bigger plays, this group lets up less big plays and more stout vs the run. We dont have a younger Woodson or a top notch safety in Nick Collins back there so we have to play to our strengths and play solid fundamentaly sound football IMO.
I can't go ahead and say I like this defense better than 2010 simply because that team won a Super Bowl but I certianly like this defense. I really, really, really wish we still had Nick Collins. A bit of a riverboat gambler but won a quite a bit more than he lost. For as impossible as we were to throw on at the end of 2010, I do like this cast of CB's we have now. Hayward and House>>>>Lee and Underwood.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Siman08/OH wrote:

I can't go ahead and say I like this defense better than 2010 simply because that team won a Super Bowl but I certianly like this defense. I really, really, really wish we still had Nick Collins. A bit of a riverboat gambler but won a quite a bit more than he lost. For as impossible as we were to throw on at the end of 2010, I do like this cast of CB's we have now. Hayward and House>>>>Lee and Underwood.

Me too man. As much as people point to CM3/Raji and Chuck as our leaders/ most important players on our 2010 D, I truely believe Nick Collins was our glue that held everything together. I really do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
Siman08/OH wrote:

Me too man. As much as people point to CM3/Raji and Chuck as our leaders/ most important players on our 2010 D, I truely believe Nick Collins was our glue that held everything together. I really do.
I can agree with Woodson, Raji and Matthews being the emotional leaders of the team but with Collins the heady director of the defense. I know I'm guilty of taking Nick Collins for granted, I knew he was a great safety but he did a lot more on the defense then just play a safety position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

O and Woodson doesn't make that play vs megatron that McMillian got beat on. He would of gotten beat deep as well. It is Calvin Johnson

If the ball wasn't under thrown I'd agree. Ed Reed in his prime would have been stretched to make that play. But on a deep ball that is under thrown needs to be broken up if not intercepted. That was inexcusable and a direct result of a trait that Woodson excels in: Awareness.

Didn't Woody give up the hail mary at the half in the Giants playoff game?

Just sayin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWyt8UKUos

Chalk me up for the youth movement. I think people get too tied to players, and as we have seen in the past- players ability can fall off a cliff in a hurry.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

Chalk me up for the youth movement. I think people get too tied to players, and as we have seen in the past- players ability can fall off a cliff in a hurry.

That's Peprah's third of the field and that is some god awful defense by Shields, Bush, and Peprah. Bush and Shields might as well not be on the field playing trail way too far. Peprah doesn't play the ball. Woodson goes for it at the highest point but Nicks gets it with no contact from Peprah.
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
PACKRULE wrote:
I don't post near enough but reading this thread makes me pissed. Woody gets heat for a few plays and yet no one remembers the 300 plays where he ws supposed to be. Woody has plenty left and was playing exceptionally before his injury. His run defense was probably best on the team next to Pick. Dam to many on this form that only remember the big play and don't watch nothing else. Maybe more folks need to watch the game again and get a better point of view. There is a reason that Wood was not IR'd the coaching staff want him back. and for good reason.

He wasn't IRed because his injury wasn't severe.

You missed the point we've IR'd with less alot, if woody was that bad we would have put him on IR and or cut him. Point is the brass thinks a hell of allot on Woody so do I.
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

That's Peprah's third of the field and that is some god awful defense by Shields, Bush, and Peprah. Bush and Shields might as well not be on the field playing trail way too far. Peprah doesn't play the ball. Woodson goes for it at the highest point but Nicks gets it with no contact from Peprah.

Not defending anyone on the play. Woodson was in position to make a play on the ball- just like McMillan on Sunday vs. CJ- and didn't. To look at that play and say Woodson's ball skills are elite is to be blind. He played that thing horribly and that was anything but "high-pointing" the ball.

Overall point is I take the young guy with legs in the situation as it will be better in the long term for the team, and arguable better in the now. No one can argue that the D has been performing better now than when Woody was in.

Fans are fans and it can be tough to let go of players- especially ones that have been favourites and have won DPOY- but that player isn't the one who has been suiting up the last 2 years for us. That is a memory.
Scuba St3ve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

uh..............no

bush let him run right past him and peprah didnt get in front of nicks

/yourargument
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hail Mary defense was done correctly. Shields and Bush are supposed to trail closely behind to cut off the angle in front of the WR. But Peprah is supposed to cover the high ball. Woodson was where he was supposed to be--swatting at the ball at the same time the much taller Nicks is reaching for it. But Peprah fails completely. His presence there was useless. He did nothing. It could very well be why he's not with the team--failing basics.

McMillian probably has a better chance to run down the entire field with Megatron. But on an under thrown ball, you MUST defend that. I'm also sure that's why Woodson moves to the slot--it's about quick twitch and intelligence there, not top end speed.

ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

Not defending anyone on the play. Woodson was in position to make a play on the ball- just like McMillan on Sunday vs. CJ- and didn't. To look at that play and say Woodson's ball skills are elite is to be blind. He played that thing horribly and that was anything but "high-pointing" the ball.

Overall point is I take the young guy with legs in the situation as it will be better in the long term for the team, and arguable better in the now. No one can argue that the D has been performing better now than when Woody was in.

Fans are fans and it can be tough to let go of players- especially ones that have been favourites and have won DPOY- but that player isn't the one who has been suiting up the last 2 years for us. That is a memory.

that had nothing to do with woodson. nicks was let right through and peprah literally sat on his a$$
Dubyajay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

that had nothing to do with woodson. nicks was let right through and peprah literally sat on his a$$

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point here.

2 years ago Woodson makes that play on the ball.
Last year he came up short.
Now he is just injured all the time and his legs are gone.

But by all means, keep hanging on to scraps.
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubyajay wrote:
ajhawk5047 wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Dubyajay wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
G Harmon wrote:

Just sayin.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point here.

2 years ago Woodson makes that play on the ball.
Last year he came up short.
Now he is just injured all the time and his legs are gone.

But by all means, keep hanging on to scraps.

injured all the time? come on now. he broke his collarbone, it's one significant injury.

i'm not trying to say he's as good as he was a few years ago. he's not, that much is obvious, but he's still a very smart player that does not hurt your team. the guy doesn't miss tackles and i feel comfortable with him back there, rotating with mcmillian.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: