Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers V. Browns GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know it's a miserable day when Matt Spaeth has as many touchdowns as the entire Steelers offense. Embarassed

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the Wallace hate? Doesn't seem to me like he didn't care. Really didn't like Tomlin calling him out on the INT's thrown his way; especially when the deep ball INT was badly underthrown.

If anything, he should be calling out his RB's. How did all of them fumble?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers just commited another turnover.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea that Wallace is supposed to catch every single poorly thrown ball his way and win every game on offense by himself or else it means he "isn't trying" and "doesn't deserve paid" is getting to be pretty ridiculous.

Neither one of those INT's were on Mike Wallace. COULD he of caught the slant pass? Yes. But it was a garbage throw behind him, and he fought off the first defender to break up the INT, the ball was tipped to another one. What was Wallace supposed to do there? Use Jedi mind power to force push the ball away from him? I don't know why anyone is even talking about Wallace being at fault on the deep throw, it was way underthrown into TWO defenders while Wallace is on a straight shot. What's he supposed to do there?

Stop confusing Mike Wallace for some godly receiver who can make every single difficult catch that you can imagine. Just because the man wants a new contract does not mean he's quitting on the team or claiming that he's the greatest WR in history. Even if he did, who cares? Every WR in the NFL thinks he's the greatest WR in history. It's their nature. It's pretty simple how you utilize Mike Wallace. You have to put the ball in front of him. Charlie Batch cannot do that.

If you want to single out someone for "losing" that game, look no further than four RB's all fumbling and making idiots out of themselves. Mendenhall/Redman especially, as they're supposed to be our reliable guys. Or blame whoever in our front office that thought keeping Charlie Batch on the roster was going to pay off. Granted, he's never meant to see the field, but then why have him at all? Screw this "mentor" crap. Let him retire and hire him as a coach if it's like that.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
This idea that Wallace is supposed to catch every single poorly thrown ball his way and win every game on offense by himself or else it means he "isn't trying" and "doesn't deserve paid" is getting to be pretty ridiculous.

Neither one of those INT's were on Mike Wallace. COULD he of caught the slant pass? Yes. But it was a garbage throw behind him, and he fought off the first defender to break up the INT, the ball was tipped to another one. What was Wallace supposed to do there? Use Jedi mind power to force push the ball away from him? I don't know why anyone is even talking about Wallace being at fault on the deep throw, it was way underthrown into TWO defenders while Wallace is on a straight shot. What's he supposed to do there?

Stop confusing Mike Wallace for some godly receiver who can make every single difficult catch that you can imagine. Just because the man wants a new contract does not mean he's quitting on the team or claiming that he's the greatest WR in history. Even if he did, who cares? Every WR in the NFL thinks he's the greatest WR in history. It's their nature. It's pretty simple how you utilize Mike Wallace. You have to put the ball in front of him. Charlie Batch cannot do that.

If you want to single out someone for "losing" that game, look no further than four RB's all fumbling and making idiots out of themselves. Mendenhall/Redman especially, as they're supposed to be our reliable guys. Or blame whoever in our front office that thought keeping Charlie Batch on the roster was going to pay off. Granted, he's never meant to see the field, but then why have him at all? Screw this "mentor" crap. Let him retire and hire him as a coach if it's like that.

At least someone gets it.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's supposed to help his team out and make an effort to break up the INT. That's what everyone is referring to when they say it seems like he doesn't care. How often do you hear announcers talking about WRs having to "play defensive back?" How often do you ever see Wallace do it? He doesn't go up for 50/50 balls EVER. If the ball isn't thrown to him, he's not catching it. And this year, often if it IS thrown to him he's not catching it. "Fast Money" can take the first bus out of town this off-season for all I care. If I'm the Steelers I'm not paying him more than I'm paying Brown, that's for sure.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're all resigned to not wanting Wallace back now I expect to see a lot more WR picks in the first two rounds in our mock draft threads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
He's supposed to help his team out and make an effort to break up the INT. That's what everyone is referring to when they say it seems like he doesn't care. How often do you hear announcers talking about WRs having to "play defensive back?" How often do you ever see Wallace do it? He doesn't go up for 50/50 balls EVER. If the ball isn't thrown to him, he's not catching it. And this year, often if it IS thrown to him he's not catching it. "Fast Money" can take the first bus out of town this off-season for all I care. If I'm the Steelers I'm not paying him more than I'm paying Brown, that's for sure.

He DID break up an INT on the slant route though, so I don't know what you're talking about. On the deep ball he was running forward in full stride. Not one, but two defensive backs are trailing him. The ball is way underthrown and lands right into the DB's laps. Wallace is running full speed forward. What's he going to do there? Do you understand the concept of momentum? He can't stop on a dime, turn back around, and torpedo into two defenders to try and break up a garbage throw. There was no time or opportunity for that. The guy can't defy physics to break up an INT. He didn't "give up" on the play, the throw was awful and nowhere near where it was supposed to be.

I can't wait until Wallace is gone and killing it for another team to see the reactions from his naysayers here. While I agree that his ball skills suck, he's just not that kind of receiver. He's an elite weapon though.
xjayex

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:

He DID break up an INT on the slant route though, so I don't know what you're talking about. On the deep ball he was running forward in full stride. Not one, but two defensive backs are trailing him. The ball is way underthrown and lands right into the DB's laps. Wallace is running full speed forward. What's he going to do there? Do you understand the concept of momentum? He can't stop on a dime, turn back around, and torpedo into two defenders to try and break up a garbage throw. There was no time or opportunity for that. The guy can't defy physics to break up an INT. He didn't "give up" on the play, the throw was awful and nowhere near where it was supposed to be.

I can't wait until Wallace is gone and killing it for another team to see the reactions from his naysayers here. While I agree that his ball skills suck, he's just not that kind of receiver. He's an elite weapon though.

He's not worth the money he wants.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. But this idea that we're better without him because he's quitting on the team or doesn't care or isn't trying or doesn't break up INT's is ridiculous. Every time we lose a game, there seems to be this brigade that points out how Wallace blew a play.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we can all agree, Wallace is not worth Fitz money. IMO he is starting to not be worth Brown money either.

I thought in money years a player was supposed to do really good?

I guess another myth is busted.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....

Last edited by stillersenat on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:

The play that upset me was the pass outside the numbers that looked to be a out or a hook. The ball landed a yard from his feet in a game like the one yesterday you'd think he'd at least get his jersey dirty. M. Wallace has cashed it in and while many are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt I'm not. The deep ball that clanged off the of the DBs head could of been a PI if Wallace would of came back to the ball. The DB wasn't even looking for the ball at all. Wallace can't run routes the reason he doesn't get many balls thrown to him during games that Ben is out. E. Sanders has more targets and catches then wallace. Why? Because E. Sanders can run routes. You can't mover M. Wallace around he is a outside WR only. Victor Cruz is probably Wallace's equivalent at his point and he's always lined up in the slot in 3 WR sets. The reason being is his speed, route running get him open. I thought Todd Haley's offense was going to help Wallace by given him more chances to run different route combination. But it's apparent that he only capable of running 3 routes. ( 9 route, drag route, and WR screen) As a WR in the NFL you have to have a back up plan and Wallace doesn't have one. In the beginning of the year I was all for paying him, but right now he's not worth the money AB is getting. Hopefully the addition of Burress pays off and he can talk some sense into M. Wallace. I think that's the biggest negative of H. Ward retiring was his ability to mentor the younger WR.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two observations:

1. I love the Steelers.

2. This team makes me sad.

Deep, huh.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:

The play that upset me was the pass outside the numbers that looked to be a out or a hook. The ball landed a yard from his feet in a game like the one yesterday you'd think he'd at least get his jersey dirty. M. Wallace has cashed it in and while many are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt I'm not. The deep ball that clanged off the of the DBs head could of been a PI if Wallace would of came back to the ball. The DB wasn't even looking for the ball at all. Wallace can't run routes the reason he doesn't get many balls thrown to him during games that Ben is out. E. Sanders has more targets and catches then wallace. Why? Because E. Sanders can run routes. You can't mover M. Wallace around he is a outside WR only. Victor Cruz is probably Wallace's equivalent at his point and he's always lined up in the slot in 3 WR sets. The reason being is his speed, route running get him open. I thought Todd Haley's offense was going to help Wallace by given him more chances to run different route combination. But it's apparent that he only capable of running 3 routes. ( 9 route, drag route, and WR screen) As a WR in the NFL you have to have a back up plan and Wallace doesn't have one. In the beginning of the year I was all for paying him, but right now he's not worth the money AB is getting. Hopefully the addition of Burress pays off and he can talk some sense into M. Wallace. I think that's the biggest negative of H. Ward retiring was his ability to mentor the younger WR.

He has terrible ball skills, this isn't anything new. He never tries to go up and get it. All I am saying is that every time we lose a game, people go out and look for reasons to bash Mike Wallace and claim he's giving up or not trying, and then convince themselves that we're better off without him because he doesn't try.

It's BS, plain and simple. He doesn't make or break this offense but we are a better football team with him. Ben Roethlisberger is a better QB with him, and he's going to be very angry when he walks. He's the most dangerous WR in the NFL when going deep, and he's one of the most dangerous with the ball in his hand and given space. He is a very valuable weapon. Not top 10 WR in the NFL kind of money-valuable, but he's most definitely great at his role. And he can open so much up for our offense, since any time he goes down the field he has to take two defenders with him.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
The Curtain wrote:
Irish 11 wrote:

He has terrible ball skills, this isn't anything new. He never tries to go up and get it. All I am saying is that every time we lose a game, people go out and look for reasons to bash Mike Wallace and claim he's giving up or not trying, and then convince themselves that we're better off without him because he doesn't try.

It's BS, plain and simple. He doesn't make or break this offense but we are a better football team with him. Ben Roethlisberger is a better QB with him, and he's going to be very angry when he walks. He's the most dangerous WR in the NFL when going deep, and he's one of the most dangerous with the ball in his hand and given space. He is a very valuable weapon. Not top 10 WR in the NFL kind of money-valuable, but he's most definitely great at his role. And he can open so much up for our offense, since any time he goes down the field he has to take two defenders with him.

I doubt Ben gets angry just for the simple fact that he loss Burress and Holmes and still won SBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: