Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Trying Out Billy Cundiff/Nate Kaeding #Suck4Barkely
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: 49ers Trying Out Billy Cundiff/Nate Kaeding #Suck4Barkely Reply with quote

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/11/27/report-49ers-try-out-kaeding-cundiff-with-akers-slumping/

Quote:
Two days after David Akers missed two more field goals, the 49ers tried out two kickers Tuesday: veterans Nate Kaeding and Billy Cundiff.

.....now it's time to question Barlbaugh's move. Nothing good can come of this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...this is REALLY going to help Akers confidence if we end up not signing anyone
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 49ers Trying Out Billy Cundiff/Nate Kaeding #Suck4Barkel Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/11/27/report-49ers-try-out-kaeding-cundiff-with-akers-slumping/

Quote:
Two days after David Akers missed two more field goals, the 49ers tried out two kickers Tuesday: veterans Nate Kaeding and Billy Cundiff.

.....now it's time to question Barlbaugh's move. Nothing good can come of this.

What if it lights a fire under Akers' arse and he kicks it (pun intended) into gear?

Or is it possible Akers has an small injury? Not enough to keep him from kicking it a mile long, just enough to cause discomfort. That could be the difference between a field goal made and a miss.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Ataal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we'll find out what Akers is made of. It might just be the motivation he needs to find a way to get things done.

I can hardly blame anyone for wanting a kicker to be on his game for the impending playoffs. An overtime win is the difference between a field goal made or a field goal missed. If we end up playing the Giants again in the playoffs, we're going to need all our weapons to be on their game. Kicker included.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's this board's obsession with players confidence? Yes, for some guys, it is a factor. But is it really true of anyone? These guys are men. They know the business, they know how it works. I don't buy the confidence argument, all the time. Motivation, yes. If Akers feels his job his threatened, he'll take actions in making sure he doesn't lose it, whether it's practicing more, or getting the psychological help that he needs on his own. Harbaugh can't give Akers confidence. Akers need to find his own. All a coach can do is motivate a guy to get his confidence back. In this case, it might be the proverbial chip on his shoulder. But I don't believe Jim does things to spare feelings. And don't mention Alex, because I don't buy it either.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been throwing Kaeding's name out for a few weeks as the best available kicker to replace Akers if the FO feels he's done. I want to stick it out with him because I do believe he's better, but Nate is definitely my favorite choice to replace him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot which quarter it was, but David Akers did seem hurt after an extra point I believe. If anyone has the game on DVR, maybe they can check when it occurred.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN
49ers TE Delanie Walker (R hip) is not practicing. And K David Akers looks fine. Saw him make a 50-yarder during warmups on side field.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it makes you wonder what kind of motivation akers must have had last season because he was let go in philly and came here to have a record year, now hes back to his old philly ways

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This David Akers "suddenly sucking" thing is getting out of hand.

Again:

Under 40:

2011: 31 of 32

2012: 12 of 13

40-49

2011: 6 of 11

2012: 6 of 10

50+

2011: 7 of 9

2012: 1 of 4

Only his 50+ kicks are showing a downward trend, and they're never gimmes. I'm not going to fault a guy for not doing so hot on those. And if he were to make 5 in a row, nobody would say he's found his leg suddenly, but then he'd be at 6 of 9, 1 short of last year. The only real issue with David Akers is he's missing them at the most inopportune times.

He's not falling off, he's just not kicking as many field goals, because we're doing much better at finding the end zone once we get into the redzone. This is a good thing. Really, it's like having 2005 David Akers, who followed up hitting 84% of his field goals in 2004 with hitting only 72% the following year (he's down from 84 to 70 this year). It wasn't that he decided to suck for a year, it was that Philly suddenly went from getting into field goal range frequently to not getting there (the year they ditched T.O. midseason), so his misses were more pronounced.

Same thing's happening this year - he's missing around the same amount, it's just he doesn't have the extra 20 field goals resulting from failed red zone attempts to prop his numbers up. Even the amount of games thus far in which he's missed field goals match up - 5 last year, 5 this year. I mean, last year he missed three field goals in our win against the Cardinals. He missed two in the win against the Eagles, and there wasn't this much outrage. Why? Because he was in the process of netting 20 extra short-range field goals to boost his numbers to those only remembering the percentage of field goals made.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a slightly different take. I don't think he's "sucking," but missing the 50+ yarders are often the most crucial ones. He nailed 7 of 9(pardon the Voyager pun) last year, which is pretty much money. 1 of 4, while a small sample size, have been crucial, and thus, more noticeable.

He's also missing by a very wide margin with no wind. Most kickers can nail the direction with no wind, but some just can't get it to punch through on 50+ yarders.

Not saying he's a bum and we should cut him, I just want my kicker back that was dang near a sure thing every time he kicked. Probably too high of a standard, but we had that last year. Hard to go back to "normal," I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking is similar to baseball and golf. Its all about your plant foot, much like a golf swing and baseball swingh is about the front shoulder not flying open.

I have watched Akers over and over and his problem is his plant foot. He flies it open it sail left, he closes it off too much and its a major hook job. He is not planting the foot consistently on every kick, similar to a pitcher and his arm slot. He is working through it and Harbaugh believes in competition and being accountable so he brings in kickers to draw a little attention to the situation.

When Nedney said he saw what was wrong with Akers mechanics this was what he was talking about.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:
Kicking is similar to baseball and golf. Its all about your plant foot, much like a golf swing and baseball swingh is about the front shoulder not flying open.

I have watched Akers over and over and his problem is his plant foot. He flies it open it sail left, he closes it off too much and its a major hook job. He is not planting the foot consistently on every kick, similar to a pitcher and his arm slot. He is working through it and Harbaugh believes in competition and being accountable so he brings in kickers to draw a little attention to the situation.

When Nedney said he saw what was wrong with Akers mechanics this was what he was talking about.

Don't know the technical part of kicking. But I see these results too. He just seems to have little control over whether the ball is hooking or he's pushing it the other way. Even when he's made kicks many of them seem to be flying in either direction and just barely making it through the posts.

According to reports from the last couple of days though, he's hurt and might not even play. I wonder how long he's had that problem and whether it has contributed to what we are seeing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that he's dealing with a groin injury.

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's hurt, than definitely rest him and have him ready for the playoffs. But please don't sign Cundiff....I'd rather go for two every time, and try every 4th down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: