Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Draft Prospects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little disappointing that Chance Warmack and John Cooper are not participating in the Senior Bowl.

I know why they aren't, both are consensus 1st round picks, but it would have been awesome.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
It is a little disappointing that Chance Warmack and John Cooper are not participating in the Senior Bowl.

I know why they aren't, both are consensus 1st round picks, but it would have been awesome.

As disappointing as it is I am pretty convinced we aren’t going to go down the road of drafting a guard…I think if you look at Trestman’s determination to protect the QB at all costs and the fact Kromer has taken guys like Carl Nicks & Jhari Evans from LTs to elite OGs I think we will continue with that way of thinking…drafting big college tackles and playing them inside like some of the top guards in the league.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

As disappointing as it is I am pretty convinced we aren’t going to go down the road of drafting a guard…I think if you look at Trestman’s determination to protect the QB at all costs and the fact Kromer has taken guys like Carl Nicks & Jhari Evans from LTs to elite OGs I think we will continue with that way of thinking…drafting big college tackles and playing them inside like some of the top guards in the league.

D.J Fluker
Dallas Thomas

Who else fits the bill?
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

D.J Fluker
Dallas Thomas

Who else fits the bill?

Early on…

Chris Faulk
Menelik Watson

Mid-late round…

David Bakhtiari
Ricky Wagner
Brian Winters
J.C. Tretter
Jordan Mills
Hugh Thornton
Mark Jackson
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Yeah, seeing Kromer's success for making mid round guys very successful in NO and Trestman's history in Canada of making his OL significantly better without even getting rid of terrible personnel I think it would be a mild upset if we drafted a lineman #1 too. Still wouldn't surprise me to see us go CB in round 1 for a guy like Banks since we have nobody on the roster beyond next season. Emery says he goes BPA though so really if you believe that at heart then the entire board is open save for probably QB and RB.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Yeah, seeing Kromer's success for making mid round guys very successful in NO and Trestman's history in Canada of making his OL significantly better without even getting rid of terrible personnel I think it would be a mild upset if we drafted a lineman #1 too. Still wouldn't surprise me to see us go CB in round 1 for a guy like Banks since we have nobody on the roster beyond next season. Emery says he goes BPA though so really if you believe that at heart then the entire board is open save for probably QB and RB.

I think it really depends on what happens at LT.

If we sign someone to play LT then I think we could see OL move down in the draft.

If we don't get a LT I could see us going OL in the 1st.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If we sign someone to play LT then I think we could see OL move down in the draft.

Who knows what Trestman and Co. are going to see. If you look at our season last year we gave up 44 total sacks, which is obviously not very good. But, we gave up only 9 sacks over the final 6 games (starting after the SF game), which is excellent. Webb in particular was pretty solid the second half of the year outside of the one bad game against SF. Not upper echelon, but solid.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Who knows what Trestman and Co. are going to see. If you look at our season last year we gave up 44 total sacks, which is obviously not very good. But, we gave up only 9 sacks over the final 6 games (starting after the SF game), which is excellent. Webb in particular was pretty solid the second half of the year outside of the one bad game against SF. Not upper echelon, but solid.

But this system is going to require more from them and put more pressure on them.

Even though there will be quicker throws and better schemes the standards are being raised from sacks to pressures and we will throw the ball more.
mteward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few mock drafts where we have taken a linebacker in the 1st round and just was wondering what peoples opinions are on the 3 that may be available;

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

Without watching a lot of college football I am presuming that due to the deadspin fiasco we would probably pass on T'eo. However what are the strengths of the other two? Ogletree is a tremendous athlete and that's about all I know.

I can't see Urlacher returning and I don't see anyone being able to replace him through FA. And our new OC having a decent history of developing mid round talent on the o-line can we afford to go MLB in the 1st?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteward wrote:
I have seen a few mock drafts where we have taken a linebacker in the 1st round and just was wondering what peoples opinions are on the 3 that may be available;

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

Without watching a lot of college football I am presuming that due to the deadspin fiasco we would probably pass on T'eo. However what are the strengths of the other two? Ogletree is a tremendous athlete and that's about all I know.

I can't see Urlacher returning and I don't see anyone being able to replace him through FA. And our new OC having a decent history of developing mid round talent on the o-line can we afford to go MLB in the 1st?

In my opinion NO.

This team is not just crippled by bad coaching on offence, it is crippled by a lack of talent.

Bill Walsh himsel would struggle with the talent on out OL.

"That's what I said l, that's what is said!" (Darryl Drake)
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
mteward wrote:

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

In my opinion NO.

This team is not just crippled by bad coaching on offence, it is crippled by a lack of talent.

We're not going to reach for an OL in the first. If an OL is the top rated player on the board when we pick - we'll grab him, but I don't believe for a second that we'll pass up a higher rated LB or TE.

Hell, I'd argue those two positions are bigger needs in the draft than OL is.

I expect us to trust rookies at those two positions, and to be immediate contributors, than I would a rookie on the OL.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
mteward wrote:

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

In my opinion NO.

We're not going to reach for an OL in the first. If an OL is the top rated player on the board when we pick - we'll grab him, but I don't believe for a second that we'll pass up a higher rated LB or TE.

I expect us to trust rookies at those two positions, and to be immediate contributors, than I would a rookie on the OL.

OL is a position where you can expect rookies to start right away.

Matt Kalil
Kevin Zietler
Cordy Glenn
Mitchell Schwartz
Amini Silatoulo
Jeff Allen
Peter Konz
Kelechi Osemele
David DeCastro, when he was healthy.

All these guys went in the 1st round an started a majority, if not the entire year, and did well.

I am not saying that we reach for an OLmen.

I am saying we need to focus on it because although Trestman is a great offensive mind you cannot build a house out of sand.
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteward wrote:

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

I've been saying this for awhile now, being that that franchise tag for OTs this season is 15 million I believe we'll see some surprises when it comes to players not being tagged that we suspected. I fully anticipate Emery to make a huge attempt at bringing in proven talent at OT, to allow them to wait until mid rounds to draft an interior guy to play next to him. I think it's inevitable at this point that Urlacher has seen his last day here. It's time to start fresh argue position and give Tucker someone he can start building around. There is absolutely no way Nick Roach is the starting MLB when this team starts next season. I believe it will be the #1 need on this team come April, and following last weeks debacle I think we have the chance to draft the first ILB at #20. That's very good value there. I see no way Emery selects an OLineman round 1.

BEARS------BULLS------DODGERS------KINGS
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
mteward wrote:

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

In my opinion NO.

OL is a position where you can expect rookies to start right away.

Matt Kalil
Kevin Zietler
Cordy Glenn
Mitchell Schwartz
Amini Silatoulo
Jeff Allen
Peter Konz
Kelechi Osemele
David DeCastro, when he was healthy.

All these guys went in the 1st round an started a majority, if not the entire year, and did well.

I am not saying that we reach for an OLmen.

I am saying we need to focus on it because although Trestman is a great offensive mind you cannot build a house out of sand.

Linebackers have even more potential to start early in their career…along with RB there isn’t a more plug and play position in football…as for the TE vs. LB debate there is no contest IMO…a new MLB and leader of our D would have a far greater impact than a TE would and be far more important to the overall team than a TE…

As for the original question…

Kevin Minter…rates highly in instinct, physicality, and aggressiveness, stack & shed ability, tackling technique…areas of concern…doesn’t have elite speed, zone coverage experience.

Manti Te’o…size, instincts, leadership, intensity, aggressiveness, stack & shed ability, explosive hits…areas of concern…speed, play against top competition, not a playmaker until last year of school, off-field concerns (all be it very slight as I feel he was the victim).

Alec Ogletree…potential, size, sideline to sideline speed, athleticism, explosiveness, former safety…areas of concern…instincts, leadership, stack & shed ability, off-field concerns.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mteward wrote:

T'eo
Ogletree
Minter

There is one guy, my bro and I have actually been talking about it, and I imagine there is probably some serious conversation at Halas Hall about it as well. Jonathan Vilma. He's a FA, he's essentially the 5th LBer in NO when everybody's healthy so he's not going to resign there if he can get a chance to start elsewhere. He could thrive in our system as he's a fast MLB w/ great instincts. Similarly to Urlacher he doesn't get off blocks well, but he's great in coverage. His lawsuit has been dismissed by the courts so you don't have that hanging over him anymore. If we don't want to go the draft route this year, he's somebody who can come in and fill that gap on the roster for 3 or 4 years.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: