Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
But Peppers is owed 52 million in the next 3 years?

You still have to work in 9 million.

The sportrac site is accurate as far as I know to total cap hit which is his salary plus his amortized signing bonus which totals 52 million for 2013, 14 and 15.

Even if you add $3.1M to each of the 3 years i outlined we are still saving nearly $2M this year against the cap and an additional million next year. That's a short term vet or 2nd/3rd tier UFA signing's salary right there and certainly worth doing. Plus that's just what I threw together in a short time. Cliff Stein is clearly going to be far better at that than I am and can probably work something else in to further reduce number.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

The sportrac site is accurate as far as I know to total cap hit which is his salary plus his amortized signing bonus which totals 52 million for 2013, 14 and 15.

Even if you add $3.1M to each of the 3 years i outlined we are still saving nearly $2M this year against the cap and an additional million next year. That's a short term vet or 2nd/3rd tier UFA signing's salary right there and certainly worth doing. Plus that's just what I threw together in a short time. Cliff Stein is clearly going to be far better at that than I am and can probably work something else in to further reduce number.

Agreed we can save enough to make some small moves but we would still have to eat money in 2015 and it won't be a lot in savings.

Options are save a little eat a little in 2015, or save a lot and eat a lot in 2015. I guess it depends on how close emery thinks we are.

But it is not an easy restructure like Marshall and Tillman who we can extend.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Agreed we can save enough to make some small moves but we would still have to eat money in 2015 and it won't be a lot in savings.

Options are save a little eat a little in 2015, or save a lot and eat a lot in 2015. I guess it depends on how close emery thinks we are.

They could extend Peppers too. Guys get "4-year deals" that are really one or two year deals all the time. I agree that some money will need to be eaten at the end but assuming Peppers plays thru 2014 we're talking about $3-4M in dead money which is far from catastrophic especially after the cap jump in 2015.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

They could extend Peppers too. Guys get "4-year deals" that are really one or two year deals all the time. I agree that some money will need to be eaten at the end but assuming Peppers plays thru 2014 we're talking about $3-4M in dead money which is far from catastrophic especially after the cap jump in 2015.

There is 3 million in guaranteed money sitting in 2015 right now so anything we save will be added to that.

My guess is that we get about 2-3 million in breathing room this year, and cut him next season when we need to pay Cutler.

That would mean in 2014 he counts 8-9 million in dead money, but we save almost 10 million.

I just don't see how we can pay Peppers 17 million in 2014 and give Cutler a big deal.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

There is 3 million in guaranteed money sitting in 2015 right now so anything we save will be added to that.

My guess is that we get about 2-3 million in breathing room this year, and cut him next season when we need to pay Cutler.

That would mean in 2014 he counts 8-9 million in dead money, but we save almost 10 million.

I just don't see how we can pay Peppers 17 million in 2014 and give Cutler a big deal.

That's one reason I think it's a very realistic possibility that we will have such significant turnover on defense in the next 1-2 years. We're going to need to pay a quarterback, a left tackle, Melton, Marshall and probably another guy or two on top of that a ton in new money over that time period. That has to come from somewhere. I expect that it will come from most of our big name players on defense because they are all nearing the end of their careers anyway. That is why I am so adamant that we have to address both sides of the ball significantly this offseason even though the offense is the bigger problem today. Ignoring one side of the ball for the sake of the other is how we got into this mess in the first place.

GRRLacher wrote:
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

That's one reason I think it's a very realistic possibility that we will have such significant turnover on defense in the next 1-2 years. We're going to need to pay a quarterback, a left tackle, Melton, Marshall and probably another guy or two on top of that a ton in new money over that time period. That has to come from somewhere. I expect that it will come from most of our big name players on defense because they are all nearing the end of their careers anyway. That is why I am so adamant that we have to address both sides of the ball significantly this offseason even though the offense is the bigger problem today. Ignoring one side of the ball for the sake of the other is how we got into this mess in the first place.

I have no issue drafting some defensive players if we fix some offensive holes in free agency.

The draft that I was complaining about had us adding Matt Slauson to the OL and that was it, which I think is way to little.

If we sign an OT and TE then we can go defense in round 1 or 2 without me batting an eye. As you said we may be paying a LT and if that is the case then all the power to the defense.

But Peppers has a 1st round pick working behind him for when he leaves.

We don't have that type of depth and talent on offense.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know we need to fix the offense but I do not think,

OG Matt Slauson
QB Tim Tebow
FB Greg Jones
TE Tyler Eifert
OT Chris Faulk

This list gives us the talent on offense to improve that much in fact I see a ton of what got us into this mess, below average band aid free agents and injured OTs.

I do like Eifert.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140432/article/offseason-forecast-chicago-bears

Offseason Crystal Ball

It will be interesting to see whether the Bears invest in Jay Cutler before seeing how he fits into Trestman's system. Cutler's contract runs out at the end of the 2013 season. My guess: They make an offer, but allow Cutler to play out his contract year. A potential franchise tag looms.

Look for the Bears to cut Davis and Devin Hester to free up cap room. They are a strong candidate to sign a free-agent tackle like Jake Long or Andre Smith. I'll give them Long and a mid-tier tight end option like Martellus Bennett. Happy now, Bears fans?
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

OG Matt Slauson
QB Tim Tebow
FB Greg Jones
TE Tyler Eifert
OT Chris Faulk

This list gives us the talent on offense to improve that much in fact I see a ton of what got us into this mess, below average band aid free agents and injured OTs.

I do like Eifert.
I actually like that.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

OG Matt Slauson
QB Tim Tebow
FB Greg Jones
TE Tyler Eifert
OT Chris Faulk

I do like Eifert.
I actually like that.

We need talent on the OL, like real talent, not more players we are hoping will get better.

We need an OL Julius Peppers.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the obvious “32 teams times $1 million” calculation, increasing the cap by $1 million easily becomes a $5 million expenditure for a team. Since signing bonuses and other guaranteed payments are prorated, and because the salary cap never goes down, an extra million in cap space easily becomes another $5 million in current-year spending.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/minor-cap-increase-can-result-in-major-spending/
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

OG Matt Slauson
QB Tim Tebow
FB Greg Jones
TE Tyler Eifert
OT Chris Faulk

I do like Eifert.
I actually like that.

We need talent on the OL, like real talent, not more players we are hoping will get better.

So trade for Joe Thomas?

I went with those guys and Daryl Smith because I dont think we can afford any more guys.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

OG Matt Slauson
QB Tim Tebow
FB Greg Jones
TE Tyler Eifert
OT Chris Faulk

I do like Eifert.
I actually like that.

So trade for Joe Thomas?

I went with those guys and Daryl Smith because I dont think we can afford any more guys.

For me I would flip the Daryl Smith signing to Gosder Cherilus and sign a Matt Slauson level LB.

Whatever we can afford needs to be invested in the OL.

I really feel the Bears way of doing business has changed and that our primary investments, at least for the near future, will be going to the offense.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to go after free agent LT Jermon Bushrod.

The Bears are in the market for an upgrade on J'Marcus Webb, but finding one could prove difficult. By the time the No. 20 pick comes around, Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan's Eric Fisher and Oklahoma's Lane Johnson could all be gone. Alabama's D.J. Fluker is a right tackle. Enter Bushrod, who has a connection to current Bears OC Aaron Kromer from their time together in New Orleans and checks in as our No. 9 free agent tackle. The cap-strapped Saints aren't going to be able to lock down Bushrod before he hits the market.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
The Chicago Tribune expects the Bears to go after free agent LT Jermon Bushrod.

The Bears are in the market for an upgrade on J'Marcus Webb, but finding one could prove difficult. By the time the No. 20 pick comes around, Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel, Central Michigan's Eric Fisher and Oklahoma's Lane Johnson could all be gone. Alabama's D.J. Fluker is a right tackle. Enter Bushrod, who has a connection to current Bears OC Aaron Kromer from their time together in New Orleans and checks in as our No. 9 free agent tackle. The cap-strapped Saints aren't going to be able to lock down Bushrod before he hits the market.

I would be happy, but at the same time we need to have realistic expectations.

Bushrod is not Ryan Clady, better than Webb, but not Ryan Clady.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 37 of 67

Jump to: