Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9654
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
I know windy just listed him as the top TE available in FA but what are peoples thoughts about Jared Cook? He has been such a tease in fantasy for like the last 3 years, massive potential but has never put it all together. Is it just the QB situation in TEN or does he have issues between the ears? Should the Bears go after this guy and try for a homerun or go conservative with a Celek or Miller or wait for the draft?


And on a completely unrelated note, what about a downfield threat? I posted in a Mike Wallace thread in another forum here about him being a good fit for the Bears and nobody gave it the time of day. Now while that's probably not the best use of resources there is no question it would help to create an absolutely dynamic offense. That did get me to thinking though, I have heard nothing about Johnny Knox and his recovery. There is of course a very real possibility that he never plays a down of pro football again but has anyone heard anything? If nothing else the man can stretch the field.


Cook has everything we are looking for, except blocking, and provides an athletic target. He has been held back in Tennessee by a lack of targets and QB issues.

We cannot afford a Mike Wallace type player we already have 15 million invested at WR in Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery and I would not want to invest another 8-10 and move Jeffery to the bench.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9654
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only fear with signing Levitre is what do we do if Warmack or Cooper hit 20 and are the best player available?

We would be making an incredible investment in the interior OL, which is not a bad thing.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18933
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
I know windy just listed him as the top TE available in FA but what are peoples thoughts about Jared Cook? He has been such a tease in fantasy for like the last 3 years, massive potential but has never put it all together. Is it just the QB situation in TEN or does he have issues between the ears? Should the Bears go after this guy and try for a homerun or go conservative with a Celek or Miller or wait for the draft?


And on a completely unrelated note, what about a downfield threat? I posted in a Mike Wallace thread in another forum here about him being a good fit for the Bears and nobody gave it the time of day. Now while that's probably not the best use of resources there is no question it would help to create an absolutely dynamic offense. That did get me to thinking though, I have heard nothing about Johnny Knox and his recovery. There is of course a very real possibility that he never plays a down of pro football again but has anyone heard anything? If nothing else the man can stretch the field.


Cook has everything we are looking for, except blocking, and provides an athletic target. He has been held back in Tennessee by a lack of targets and QB issues.

We cannot afford a Mike Wallace type player we already have 15 million invested at WR in Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery and I would not want to invest another 8-10 and move Jeffery to the bench.
Anything that moves Jeffery to the bench is a serious, serious mistake. Everybody that talks about him doesn't just say he's a good player, they call him special, and he is. Its an absolute miracle and a travesty to him that he fell to us in the 2nd. He's a true blue-chip WR talent. When you look at what he did in limited action this year, its crazy how good this kid could be. If he stays healthy (and his injuries aren't soft tissue or ligament injuries so there's no reason to think he won't) I'd be willing to bet he's a 1000 yard WR next year w/ 7+ TDs. W/ his long stride and build up speed, CBs simply don't realize how fast he eats up the cushion (b/c they damn sure aren't going to press him) and then runs right by them. If I could get the damn tape to compress properly where it is an obscenely large tape, I could show you guys exactly what I mean. I have a 6 min cut up of the Colts game ready to go, but can't get it loaded to youtube b/c it's 7 GB.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wiscbearsfan


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 6350
Location: WI
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

Cook has everything we are looking for, except blocking, and provides an athletic target. He has been held back in Tennessee by a lack of targets and QB issues.

We cannot afford a Mike Wallace type player we already have 15 million invested at WR in Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery and I would not want to invest another 8-10 and move Jeffery to the bench.



So if they need to add a downfield threat what type of player are they going to be looking for that doesn't move Jeffrey to the bench? Is it just going to be a cheap fast guy who gets limited snaps and is situational?

I'm not pining for Wallace by any means I just think its a fun idea. Were they able to upgrade TE and the OL and add Wallace they could have an insane offense. But again, with all the holes its not very realistic.
_________________
Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that.........he is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9654
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Cook has everything we are looking for, except blocking, and provides an athletic target. He has been held back in Tennessee by a lack of targets and QB issues.

We cannot afford a Mike Wallace type player we already have 15 million invested at WR in Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery and I would not want to invest another 8-10 and move Jeffery to the bench.



So if they need to add a downfield threat what type of player are they going to be looking for that doesn't move Jeffrey to the bench? Is it just going to be a cheap fast guy who gets limited snaps and is situational?

I'm not pining for Wallace by any means I just think its a fun idea. Were they able to upgrade TE and the OL and add Wallace they could have an insane offense. But again, with all the holes its not very realistic.


I think it will be a cheap fast guy or a 4th round rookie that can play 10-15 snaps and is comfortable in the slot.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 5084
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My only fear with signing Levitre is what do we do if Warmack or Cooper hit 20 and are the best player available?

We would be making an incredible investment in the interior OL, which is not a bad thing.


Well you have to consider that Garza doesn't have much left in the tank anyway and Cooper has played center, so if they signed Levitre and went with Cooper as the BPA they could be setting themselves up nicely for the future.

With that being said though I don't expect the Bears to target a guard in free agency besides signing one of their own in Lance Louis. I'd look for them to draft and develop a player at that position instead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10774
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
My only fear with signing Levitre is what do we do if Warmack or Cooper hit 20 and are the best player available?

We would be making an incredible investment in the interior OL, which is not a bad thing.

Sounds like a great problem to have IMO. Levitre/Cooper/Louis and Warmack/Levitre/Louis sound both like great interior OL short and long term to me.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:



So if they need to add a downfield threat what type of player are they going to be looking for that doesn't move Jeffrey to the bench? Is it just going to be a cheap fast guy who gets limited snaps and is situational?


This is what I was thinking; basically, a deep threat #4 receiver that replaces Knox. It really doesn't make sense for them to sign Wallace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
What do you guys think of Delanie Walker as a possible flexg TE?

He has good hands, good speed and he comes from a winning team that makes him an interesting player and he should have a reasonable price.



Delanie Walker had the highest drop rate, by far, of all the TE's that qualified. He dropped over 30% of his passes.

Kellen Davis dropped 30% of catchable passes according to PFF but didn't quite qualify for that stat. The next highest was Aaron Hernandez at 16%.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mudderfudder77


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 1838
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
What do you guys think of Delanie Walker as a possible flexg TE?

He has good hands, good speed and he comes from a winning team that makes him an interesting player and he should have a reasonable price.



Delanie Walker had the highest drop rate, by far, of all the TE's that qualified. He dropped over 30% of his passes.

Kellen Davis dropped 30% of catchable passes according to PFF but didn't quite qualify for that stat. The next highest was Aaron Hernandez at 16%.


Exactly. So people want to replace Kellen Davis with...


...Kellen Davis?
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:


Exactly. So people want to replace Kellen Davis with...


...Kellen Davis?

Also, these aren't 50 yard bomb catches on the sidelines that they're dropping. TEs catching mostly short passes should not be dropping more than 10% of them at the very worst. Anthony Fasano caught all 41 of his catchable balls and can block and he's a free agent I think. I'd much rather have him.

it's easy to fall in love with these athletic freak tight ends out there, but Kellen Davis is exactly that and he was horrible this year. This offense would be helped immensely by having a competent starting tight end that can block and reliably catch short passes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10774
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:



So if they need to add a downfield threat what type of player are they going to be looking for that doesn't move Jeffrey to the bench? Is it just going to be a cheap fast guy who gets limited snaps and is situational?


This is what I was thinking; basically, a deep threat #4 receiver that replaces Knox. It really doesn't make sense for them to sign Wallace.

I wouldn't oppose signing Wallace just because he's a proven stud even though I have HUGE expectations for Alshon, but ultimately I don't think we can afford him without ignoring our far bigger needs elsewhere. I can absolutely see Alshon putting up Colston-ish numbers next year like 75/1050/7 across from Marshall though.

FWIW I don't think you need a burner like Wallace to add a vertical element to your passing game - I think what you need are the willingness to push the ball down the field and players who can make plays when you do so. Marshall and Alshon are both guys who can make plays downfield and ideally we will add a TE in FA or the draft that can stretch the seam in a similar manner. Adding a burner too certainly won't hurt but isn't a requirement.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slaymont Harris


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 1142
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:

I wouldn't oppose signing Wallace just because he's a proven stud even though I have HUGE expectations for Alshon, but ultimately I don't think we can afford him without ignoring our far bigger needs elsewhere. I can absolutely see Alshon putting up Colston-ish numbers next year like 75/1050/7 across from Marshall though.

FWIW I don't think you need a burner like Wallace to add a vertical element to your passing game - I think what you need are the willingness to push the ball down the field and players who can make plays when you do so. Marshall and Alshon are both guys who can make plays downfield and ideally we will add a TE in FA or the draft that can stretch the seam in a similar manner. Adding a burner too certainly won't hurt but isn't a requirement.

It doesn't make sense to commit almost $25 million to the WR position when there are glaring holes at TE and OL, and it would push Alshon down the depth chart to where he would be seeing like 15-20 snaps a game.

No, but I think you need a burner to have a well rounded vertical game. It may be less important than it would have been last year based on the new offense, but either way, a burner WR who can threaten defenses for 15-20 snaps is going to help, and a guy like that shouldn't be too hard to find.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9654
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

I wouldn't oppose signing Wallace just because he's a proven stud even though I have HUGE expectations for Alshon, but ultimately I don't think we can afford him without ignoring our far bigger needs elsewhere. I can absolutely see Alshon putting up Colston-ish numbers next year like 75/1050/7 across from Marshall though.

FWIW I don't think you need a burner like Wallace to add a vertical element to your passing game - I think what you need are the willingness to push the ball down the field and players who can make plays when you do so. Marshall and Alshon are both guys who can make plays downfield and ideally we will add a TE in FA or the draft that can stretch the seam in a similar manner. Adding a burner too certainly won't hurt but isn't a requirement.

It doesn't make sense to commit almost $25 million to the WR position when there are glaring holes at TE and OL, and it would push Alshon down the depth chart to where he would be seeing like 15-20 snaps a game.

No, but I think you need a burner to have a well rounded vertical game. It may be less important than it would have been last year based on the new offense, but either way, a burner WR who can threaten defenses for 15-20 snaps is going to help, and a guy like that shouldn't be too hard to find.


Agree.

What we really need to do is re-draft Johnny Knox. Find someone in the 5th or 6th round who has a ton of speed and can play 10-15 reps a game.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wiscbearsfan


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 6350
Location: WI
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the Urlacher interview with Waddle and Silvy yesterday? He had a few interesting things to say but the biggest thing imo was that (and I'm paraphrasing) he knows he is older and isn't going to make as much as he used to.

All along I figured the biggest impediment to an Urlacher return would be Urlacher and his contract demands. So if he is actually being realistic about his worth the big question then becomes do the Bears want to bring him back?

If you bring back Urlacher you have to have a contingency plan because you simply can't rely on him to stay healthy. Hearing him speak I think he knows it to. So what do people think, is he worth bringing back?
_________________
Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that.........he is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 26 of 67

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group