Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Discussion: Free Agents
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, free agent Jared Cook "appears to have no future" in Tennessee.

This directly contradicts what ESPN's Paul Kuharsky postulated earlier this month, as the former Titans' beat writer said he "fully expects" the Titans to franchise their perennially under-utilized tight end. Cook would be due an affordable $5.962 under the tag. La Canfora "would expect" former Titans coach Jeff Fisher to target Cook for the Rams if he reaches the open market. We'd guess Cook gets one more chance in Tennessee.

Cook would require some real money as I suspect a number of teams will be in on him.

We would have to invest less in the OL in free agency.

I don't think Cook is going to get the monster deal some of you guys do. He's gonna get a good deal, don't get me wrong, but I think he's in line for more like 5 years $20M. Or less. Cook has only had 1 "good" year, and there are a lot of average to good FA TE this year. Olsen got 5 years and $24.7M from Carolina 2 years ago and he was a far more accomplished player than Cook is right now. I think Cook will be far more reasonably priced than most people seem to think.
I'd give Cook Olsen money. He'd be a great pickup.

I agree he'd be a great pickup. My point was that I think you can get him for less than Olsen money.
I dont know. His arrow is pointing up. A lot of teams are going to want him. He's gonna get over payed like all FAs.

Maybe. But the FA TE market is loaded with talented players already, guys like Finley and Zach Miller might be cap casualties, and there are 2 1st round prospects at TE position as well. If it's not Cook then a guy like Fred Davis or Finley will be available as well. Fred Davis could be a STEAL on a short term deal IMO and would be playing for the big deal he was in line for before his injury last year.

Of all years, this is a good one to get a good TE in FA at a reasonable price. Also of note - if all of the FA TE get big deals then the TE in the draft will be more likely to slide.
I don't think there's a single slam dunk 1st rounder but I would consider Eifert. I still think the TEs are gonna get paid. Everyone gets overpaid.

Not when there are a lot of options. There are FA bargains all the time when positions are deep. It's not uncommon for a guy to take a 1 or 2 year deal hoping to hit it big in a future FA year.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, free agent Jared Cook "appears to have no future" in Tennessee.

This directly contradicts what ESPN's Paul Kuharsky postulated earlier this month, as the former Titans' beat writer said he "fully expects" the Titans to franchise their perennially under-utilized tight end. Cook would be due an affordable $5.962 under the tag. La Canfora "would expect" former Titans coach Jeff Fisher to target Cook for the Rams if he reaches the open market. We'd guess Cook gets one more chance in Tennessee.

Cook would require some real money as I suspect a number of teams will be in on him.

We would have to invest less in the OL in free agency.

I don't think Cook is going to get the monster deal some of you guys do. He's gonna get a good deal, don't get me wrong, but I think he's in line for more like 5 years $20M. Or less. Cook has only had 1 "good" year, and there are a lot of average to good FA TE this year. Olsen got 5 years and $24.7M from Carolina 2 years ago and he was a far more accomplished player than Cook is right now. I think Cook will be far more reasonably priced than most people seem to think.
I'd give Cook Olsen money. He'd be a great pickup.

I agree he'd be a great pickup. My point was that I think you can get him for less than Olsen money.
I dont know. His arrow is pointing up. A lot of teams are going to want him. He's gonna get over payed like all FAs.

Maybe. But the FA TE market is loaded with talented players already, guys like Finley and Zach Miller might be cap casualties, and there are 2 1st round prospects at TE position as well. If it's not Cook then a guy like Fred Davis or Finley will be available as well. Fred Davis could be a STEAL on a short term deal IMO and would be playing for the big deal he was in line for before his injury last year.

Of all years, this is a good one to get a good TE in FA at a reasonable price. Also of note - if all of the FA TE get big deals then the TE in the draft will be more likely to slide.

I agree but we would need to adjust our OL expectations if we sign a top TE.

I am not opposed to that at all as long as we get good players for good value and if that means NO LT I can live with that.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Agent Rankings

LT

1. Ryan Clady [Denver]

He will not be available and there is no point saying more.

2. Jermon Bushrod [New Orleans]

He might not be as good as Albert, but he is healthier, cheaper and was coached by Kromer.

3. Branden Albert [Kansas City]

Solid and talented, but he has been injured a good deal and he has a bad back.

4. William Beatty [New York Giants]

Beatty has really stepped up the last couple of seasons, but he is not dominant and he probably gets re-signed.

5. Jake Long [Miami]

He is broken down and wanting 10 million a season which moves him way down the list for me.

RT

1. Sebastian Vollmer [New England]

He is the best RT in the league, but he has been injured and he will command serious money.

2. Phil Loadholt [Minnesota]

Not as talented as some tackles, but solid pass protector dominant run blocker and should come at the most reasonable price.

3. Andre Smith [Cincinnati]

He is more talented than Loadholt, but he is fat and he is stupid and just got arrested for taking a gun into an airport.

4. Gosder Cherilus [Detroit]

He is not a super star, but he is solid and he can hold up for the most part in a passing attack.

5. Dennis Roland [Cincinnati]

6'9" 322lbs. and has flashed as a part time starter for the Bengals.

OG

1. Andy Levitre [Buffalo]

Next to Clady he is the best OLmen available and one of the best OGs in the league.

2. Louis Vasguez [San Diego]

Vasquez is a big, physical player that has held up in a pass happy attack. Has the size at 6'5" 335lbs that Kromer has preferred in the past.

3. Antoine Caldwell [Houston]

A solid pass blocker, but not overly physical.

4. Brandon Moore [NYJ]

He might be 34 years old but he is still a solid starter and he may be a nice cheap stop gap for a year or 2.

5. Ramon Foster [Pittsburgh]

Foster is big [6'6" 325lbs] and he starts under his belt in Pittsburgh and he may be just starting to develop.

TE

1. Jared Cook [Tennessee]

An elite athlete that has not gotten a ton of chances to dominate but he runs and catches like a WR at 6'5" 265lbs. and you may be getting his best years.

2. Martellus Bennett [NY Giants]

A big target at 6'6" that has matured in NY and turned into a real receiving threat and his blocking is better than Cook and Keller.

3. Dustin Keller [NYJ]

Keller is not that big and he does not block well, but he can catch the ball and he can threaten the middle of the field. An accurate assessment is difficult as he has been playing with Sanchez.

4. Zach Miller [Seattle]

He might not be the athlete that the rest of them are but he is a consistent receiver that can make plays when given the opportunity.

5. Delanie Walker [San Francisco]

Small and fast and with suspect hands, but he can stretch the field and is dynamic when he gets the ball in his hands. He would come cheaper than most.

LB

1. Darryl Smith [Jacksonville]

A tough, physical MLB that can make plays when healthy and has started and led a Mel Tucker defense.

2. Danell Ellberbe [Baltimore]

An ultra physical MLB that can tackle and will get the defense lined up properly, won't get out of Baltimore.

3. Erin Henderson [Minnesota]

He has the size and speed to play the middle of the zone defense and he is a consistent tackler and he screws the Vikings.

4. Jonathan Casillas [New Orleans]

I love the way that Casillas plays the game he is fast and plays mean and I think he can play every position at LB.

5. Philip Wheeler [Oakland]

He has the speed and he is always around the ball.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Clady is going to miss much of the offseason rehabbing from shoulder surgery. Something about bringing a LT onto a new team and having him miss the offseason isn't very comforting, but he will likely get tagged anyway.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30. Chicago Bears (32)

PB Ė 28th, RB Ė 27th, PEN Ė 30th

Stud: I never thought Iíd see the day where not only would JíMarcus Webb (-0.Cool not be the weak link on this line, but also be the most consistent performer. He took a huge step forward this year in becoming an adequate left tackle. You can win football games with them.

Dud: Take your pick. Ultimately it has to be the man who is on the path to ĎBustvilleí, Gabe Carimi (-10.1). The former first-round pick does get push in the run game, but heís horribly overmatched when he gets on his heels. Thatís a horrible habit for an offensive tackle who earned his late benching.

Summary: They donít make life easy for Jay Cutler and they make their running backs earn every yard. However you measure them this line just isnít good enough, to the point where the best performers are the guys who just donít get beat with regularity.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stud: Though he gets next to no praise, Will Beatty (+22.4) had a year that warranted Pro Bowl consideration. The penalties arenít ideal, but there are not many left tackles who can keep their quarterback upright and generate movement in the run game.

They kept their quarterback upright, and in Sullivan and Phil Loadholt they have two of the most punishing run blockers in the league at their positions

Stud: What a year from Andre Smith (+26.9). Our top-graded right tackle was the only player on this unit to consistently generate movement in the run game, while (Brandon Graham beating aside) holding his own in pass
protection.

Stud: That was the best weíve seen Gosder Cherilus (+26.3) look, but, like the line in general, a lot of that came courtesy of not giving up much in pass protection, as opposed to mauling guys in the run game.

Dud: While he got better as the year went on, 58 combined sacks, hits and hurries are far too many from Jermon Bushrod (+1.5). Some good work in the run game ensured he ended with a positive grade, but you need your left tackle to pass block better.

Stud: If not for a spell where injury took him off the field and then slowed him down while on it, itís fair to say Sebastian Vollmer (+21.5) would have been our top ranked right tackle. He was that good

Stud: Although the star of the unit is Andy Levitre (+17.2), we canít be the only ones that would like to see him do a little bit more in the run game.

Stud: He wasnít perfect, but next to the rest of the guys on the line Louis Vasquez (+12.7) looked like a million bucks. That said, youíd still like to see him doing a better job in the run game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/3/
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are people's opinions of Andre Smith?

He has been dominant and he would give us the RT that we need, but the airport gun thing is a little weird.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

He has been dominant and he would give us the RT that we need, but the airport gun thing is a little weird.
I'm curious if teams will view him as a potential LT. He has the physical ability to play there.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I'm curious if teams will view him as a potential LT. He has the physical ability to play there.

I did a quick search and most media expect the Bengals to franchise tag him.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I did a quick search and most media expect the Bengals to franchise tag him.
Who knows. They hate spending money.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over that list there are a lot of really good options in FA. Lets hope they all test the market. haha
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Free Agent Rankings

LT

1. Ryan Clady [Denver]

He will not be available and there is no point saying more.

2. Jermon Bushrod [New Orleans]

He might not be as good as Albert, but he is healthier, cheaper and was coached by Kromer.

3. Branden Albert [Kansas City]

Solid and talented, but he has been injured a good deal and he has a bad back.

4. William Beatty [New York Giants]

Beatty has really stepped up the last couple of seasons, but he is not dominant and he probably gets re-signed.

5. Jake Long [Miami]

He is broken down and wanting 10 million a season which moves him way down the list for me.

RT

1. Sebastian Vollmer [New England]

He is the best RT in the league, but he has been injured and he will command serious money.

2. Phil Loadholt [Minnesota]

Not as talented as some tackles, but solid pass protector dominant run blocker and should come at the most reasonable price.

3. Andre Smith [Cincinnati]

He is more talented than Loadholt, but he is fat and he is stupid and just got arrested for taking a gun into an airport.

4. Gosder Cherilus [Detroit]

He is not a super star, but he is solid and he can hold up for the most part in a passing attack.

5. Dennis Roland [Cincinnati]

6'9" 322lbs. and has flashed as a part time starter for the Bengals.

OG

1. Andy Levitre [Buffalo]

Next to Clady he is the best OLmen available and one of the best OGs in the league.

2. Louis Vasguez [San Diego]

Vasquez is a big, physical player that has held up in a pass happy attack. Has the size at 6'5" 335lbs that Kromer has preferred in the past.

3. Antoine Caldwell [Houston]

A solid pass blocker, but not overly physical.

4. Brandon Moore [NYJ]

He might be 34 years old but he is still a solid starter and he may be a nice cheap stop gap for a year or 2.

5. Ramon Foster [Pittsburgh]

Foster is big [6'6" 325lbs] and he starts under his belt in Pittsburgh and he may be just starting to develop.

TE

1. Jared Cook [Tennessee]

An elite athlete that has not gotten a ton of chances to dominate but he runs and catches like a WR at 6'5" 265lbs. and you may be getting his best years.

2. Martellus Bennett [NY Giants]

A big target at 6'6" that has matured in NY and turned into a real receiving threat and his blocking is better than Cook and Keller.

3. Dustin Keller [NYJ]

Keller is not that big and he does not block well, but he can catch the ball and he can threaten the middle of the field. An accurate assessment is difficult as he has been playing with Sanchez.

4. Zach Miller [Seattle]

He might not be the athlete that the rest of them are but he is a consistent receiver that can make plays when given the opportunity.

5. Delanie Walker [San Francisco]

Small and fast and with suspect hands, but he can stretch the field and is dynamic when he gets the ball in his hands. He would come cheaper than most.

LB

1. Darryl Smith [Jacksonville]

A tough, physical MLB that can make plays when healthy and has started and led a Mel Tucker defense.

2. Danell Ellberbe [Baltimore]

An ultra physical MLB that can tackle and will get the defense lined up properly, won't get out of Baltimore.

3. Erin Henderson [Minnesota]

He has the size and speed to play the middle of the zone defense and he is a consistent tackler and he screws the Vikings.

4. Jonathan Casillas [New Orleans]

I love the way that Casillas plays the game he is fast and plays mean and I think he can play every position at LB.

5. Philip Wheeler [Oakland]

He has the speed and he is always around the ball.

Of the guys you listed at OG only Levitre was a LG this year. All of the others are RG, where Louis plays. FWIW I would much rather spend 5 years/$35M on a top 5 LG than on Bushrod. I get positional importance completely but Webb took a pretty big step last year and could be better than that under Kromer, especially next to an elite LG. I'd take a stud OL and a second tier TE all day, with eyes toward taking a second TE in the second half of the draft.

If we can resign Louis and Scott, get Levitre in FA, then take either Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in round 2, that would be an OL home run IMO.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Looking over that list there are a lot of really good options in FA. Lets hope they all test the market. haha

That's the thing. There are a TON of guys heading into FA. It's all going to come down to who hits the market. I have to believe the Bears are going to sign at minimum 1 FA O-lineman but there are just way too many moving parts to know who or even how many.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know windy just listed him as the top TE available in FA but what are peoples thoughts about Jared Cook? He has been such a tease in fantasy for like the last 3 years, massive potential but has never put it all together. Is it just the QB situation in TEN or does he have issues between the ears? Should the Bears go after this guy and try for a homerun or go conservative with a Celek or Miller or wait for the draft?

And on a completely unrelated note, what about a downfield threat? I posted in a Mike Wallace thread in another forum here about him being a good fit for the Bears and nobody gave it the time of day. Now while that's probably not the best use of resources there is no question it would help to create an absolutely dynamic offense. That did get me to thinking though, I have heard nothing about Johnny Knox and his recovery. There is of course a very real possibility that he never plays a down of pro football again but has anyone heard anything? If nothing else the man can stretch the field.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of the guys you listed at OG only Levitre was a LG this year. All of the others are RG, where Louis plays. FWIW I would much rather spend 5 years/$35M on a top 5 LG than on Bushrod. I get positional importance completely but Webb took a pretty big step last year and could be better than that under Kromer, especially next to an elite LG. I'd take a stud OL and a second tier TE all day, with eyes toward taking a second TE in the second half of the draft.

I agree that I would prefer Levitre to Bushrod for the price because 1 of them is simply a better player.

If I was ranking all of the OLmen that I think will come available [Clady and Smith get the tag]

1. Vollmer
2. Levitre
3. Loadholt
4. Bushrod
5. Albert

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 25 of 67

Jump to: