Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Controversy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ doesn't matter anymore.

The only scenarios where Alex is still a 49er after this season...

Ck7 fails miserably in the coming games... or gets injured. Alex replaces him and gets us ring #6, or comes very close while playing very well.

None of that happens? then Alex will once again walk away, and would not be deterred by Jim's BS again. ( not that Jim would likely bother )
<

Two years ago, we said there was no way Alex would come back. Yet he did. I don't think anyone should place any large bet on him not being back next year. It wouldn't be the first time he goes against current.
yeah he trolls this team hard. Just when you think he's about to be kicked to the curb he has a good garbage game right before season's end to keep hope in him for another year. I will be relieved when he is finally off the roster. I'm ready to move on from the Alex Smith era.

This is just your personal emotions speaking. But facing the reality of being competitive in the NFL, Baalke and Harbaugh won't be moved by emotion. They will make choices based on a multitude of reasons not tied to emotions, whether it's the financila implications, the locker room or other considerations. But not emotions.

You don't have to wait until Alex is gone to just move on. Get over it already. You don't like him, alright. But the fact is, we're a better team with him as a back-up than without him. I don't like Brandon Jacobs, but right now, we're probably a better team with him than without him, so I don't complain. It's just a matter of putting emotions aside and thinking about the good of the team.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing folks saying "Smith did nothing to lose the job". It does not work like that. Smith did not give it up as much as Kaepernick simply took it away.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
I keep hearing folks saying "Smith did nothing to lose the job". It does not work like that. Smith did not give it up as much as Kaepernick simply took it away.

That's pretty much it. Everyone on the team must have known it was coming too, watching Kap practice and all. It might be why Alex still finished his drive, despite having blurry vision. He probably wouldn't have said anything if he had been able to tough it out, knowing that missing half a game was probably enough to lose his job. And that's just what happened.

I find it hypocritical when the NFLPA complains that teams and their doctors don't do enough to prevent concussed players from going back on the field, when it's the players themselves (members of the NFLPA) who would rather lie about their condition than risk losing their job on the field. The players association should just shut up.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

That's pretty much it. Everyone on the team must have known it was coming too, watching Kap practice and all. It might be why Alex still finished his drive, despite having blurry vision. He probably wouldn't have said anything if he had been able to tough it out, knowing that missing half a game was probably enough to lose his job. And that's just what happened.

I find it hypocritical when the NFLPA complains that teams and their doctors don't do enough to prevent concussed players from going back on the field, when it's the players themselves (members of the NFLPA) who would rather lie about their condition than risk losing their job on the field. The players association should just shut up.

When a guy tells his coaches hes still having symptons then ultimatel loses his job because his replacement palyed so well. And when that cost him literally millions of dollars, I don't see too many players self-reportig this kind of kinjury.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
The other angle of this is: most teams will pay over 15 million for ONE QB, and we pay less than 10 mil for TWO starting caliber QB. If Alex can swallow his pride and accept a back-up role and help the team win by helping CK grow into his role, there is a strong possibility that we keep him at his current salary. Sure, it seems too much to pay for a back-up if you look at it individually. But 10 million is NOT too much to pay to have a great starting QB and probably the best back-up (starting quality) QB in the league. It all comes down to what Alex wants, if he thinks he can start elsewhere, or if he likes his life in the bay area.

We're gonna be hard up against the cap as it is in the next few years trying to resign all of our players. If we can bring in some journeyman for 2-3 million to replace Alex and roll the 14-15 million we save into contract extensions, that is the best way forward. The difference between Alex Smith and [insert mediocre veteran backup here] is not worth the difference in cash. I think the potential lingering "QB controversy" if Smith stays on the roster is the biggest reason to get rid of him, though. I don't want a situation where everytime Kap's farts don't smell like roses people are calling for him to sit. Joe Staley is just going to have to suck it up and find a new boyfriend.

Yes, I think it's best that Jim cuts ties with Alex. I doubt our locker room will be divided, but I'd rather not take that risk. Letting Alex is a big sign that we're all in for Kaepernick, that's what he needs IMO.

We might not even have to sign a mediocre back up QB. I think we're fine with Kaepernick and Tolzein for the future, maybe draft a guy for the practice squad.

I can almost guarantee Tolzien will be the back-up next year if Kaep hangs on to the job and Alex is eventually cut. Kaep is going to be making only 1.3 mil next year .. most back-up QBs make more than that. We'd probably need to extend Kaep(which I'm not sure we can even do, yet) before we could land a journeyman vet for what they're asking without it being an issue with Kaep and his agent.

The funny thing is, even as a back-up, Alex will probably still make more than Kaep next year.

*(as an extra blocker)
cHaInBrEaKeRiii

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in po we trust wrote:
The funny thing is, even as a back-up, Alex will probably still make more than Kaep next year.

who cares if alex makes more money ... better qb will be starting for us ..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keap is a runner - he could easily get hurt. I would not cut Smith unless yhe demands it.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
rudyZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Keap is a runner - he could easily get hurt. I would not cut Smith unless yhe demands it.

When you're not talking about Randy, you actually are very rational, man. I like you. Wink

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Very fair point, but with as many FA we have in the next few years, they may not feel like paying 9 million for a backup QB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

When you're not talking about Randy, you actually are very rational, man. I like you. Wink

lol.... very true

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows
Odds on whether Alex Smith will be a member of the #49ers in Week 1 of the 2013 regular season? ... http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/706f8d93-92aa-4ea9-b6ad-50ef10f7883e/?source=twitter

Quote:
elizabeth smith ‏@lizbsmith11
@mattbarrows Would you like to make a wager on this one?? Wink

Quote:
R U saying you know AS better than me? I've been w/ him since 2005, ya know.

Quote:
@mattbarrows You may have been with him longer but I have the "hot hands" of the relationship;)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Odds on whether Alex Smith will be a member of the #49ers in Week 1 of the 2013 regular season? ... http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/706f8d93-92aa-4ea9-b6ad-50ef10f7883e/?source=twitter

Quote:
@mattbarrows Would you like to make a wager on this one?? Wink

Quote:
R U saying you know AS better than me? I've been w/ him since 2005, ya know.

Quote:
@mattbarrows You may have been with him longer but I have the "hot hands" of the relationship;)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I shouldn't say that, because Alex is like my virtual best friend (he doesn't need to say it, I just know how he feels), but I really love his wife. Maybe that's why I wasn't invited to thanksgiving this year.

sbrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy you are correct, steady you have to move on emotionally as some of the alex supporting fans do too. But you have what you want now focus on that and support the TEAM because trust me if Kap gets knicked up or something the last half of the season you are gona be glad we have alex to step in to help us win games. Tolzien is not ready for that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

lol.... very true

And when I'm talking about Randy, I am extremely rational. Wink

'Just chuck it out there, dawg! Just throw it into the end zone! Or just...throw it up, over his head! They can't jump with me GOLLY!'

Aneus Williams: "Oh look at this rook. Man this guy dont look like no jerry rice!"
Randy Moss: "Yeah well i guess looks can be deceiving bruh....yall try and keep up"

BOSS
rudyZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

lol.... very true

And when I'm talking about Randy, I am extremely rational. Wink

'Just chuck it out there, dawg! Just throw it into the end zone! Or just...throw it up, over his head! They can't jump with me GOLLY!'

Aneus Williams: "Oh look at this rook. Man this guy dont look like no jerry rice!"
Randy Moss: "Yeah well i guess looks can be deceiving bruh....yall try and keep up"

BOSS

See, you just lost me, there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 17 of 34

Jump to: