Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Controversy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
in po we trust

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
Didn't know where to put this, but what do you guys envision in terms of trading Alex Smith next year? Personally I think it was a mistake to give the nod to the new guy, but what do i know....

I don't see him being traded. Everyone knows he will be cut before the roster bonuses kick in anyway.. I guess somebody could give up a late rounder to secure his services, though.

I think the only way we are able to trade him is if he restructures his contract. He's gonna be making like 7.5 or 8.5 mil next year. No one is gonna wanna pay that to a guy just so that he can "compete" for a starting job. It's gonna take a coach who is in love with Alex as many thought Harbaugh was for us to be able to move him through a trade.

*(as an extra blocker)
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard an odd interesting stat. Alex needs only a few more attempts for his stats to qualify for season consideration. I hope that somehow he can get those few more attempts - and that he completes almost all of them and gets a TD or 2. Right now he still leads the league in completion percent and is a fraction of a point off of the QBR lead. If he's leaving I'd love for him to leave leading the league in both completion percentage and QBR.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in po we trust wrote:
adamq wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
Didn't know where to put this, but what do you guys envision in terms of trading Alex Smith next year? Personally I think it was a mistake to give the nod to the new guy, but what do i know....

I don't see him being traded. Everyone knows he will be cut before the roster bonuses kick in anyway.. I guess somebody could give up a late rounder to secure his services, though.

I think the only way we are able to trade him is if he restructures his contract. He's gonna be making like 7.5 or 8.5 mil next year. No one is gonna wanna pay that to a guy just so that he can "compete" for a starting job. It's gonna take a coach who is in love with Alex as many thought Harbaugh was for us to be able to move him through a trade.

I can see a desperate Jets team as a possibility. Hell, they gave Sanchez a 5 year $58 million deal, and that's after he was sucking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
in po we trust wrote:
adamq wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

I can see a desperate Jets team as a possibility. Hell, they gave Sanchez a 5 year $58 million deal, and that's after he was sucking.

Sanchez's 2013 salary is like 8.5, too, and it's fully guaranteed. It would take a real psycho to trade for Alex and his 7.5 2013 salary to go along with Sanchez.

I honestly think the only way we can trade Alex and his 7.5 or 8.5 mil salary would be if it was to a team coached by Greg Roman or Jon Gruden(who loves his vet QBs).

*(as an extra blocker)
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that teams know we have to cut him or we will take a cap hit diminishes his trade value.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

a team would trade for him. Simply because of his contract. He won't be making that much as a starter. So a team would be better off trading him instead of letting him hit the open market and then let him go to the highest bidder. Arizona makes the most sense imo. Arizona, NYJ, and KC are teams that spring to mind. If any of those 3 want him they would rather trade for him to make sure they got him and at that friendly contract.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
adamq wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

a team would trade for him. Simply because of his contract. He won't be making that much as a starter. So a team would be better off trading him instead of letting him hit the open market and then let him go to the highest bidder. Arizona makes the most sense imo. Arizona, NYJ, and KC are teams that spring to mind. If any of those 3 want him they would rather trade for him to make sure they got him and at that friendly contract.

Some team could want to trade for him just for his contract. They'd get a stop-gap QB for two years, while they bring up a young QB. If Alex hits the market, he will ask for a minimum of 3 more years, with a salary of upwards of 10 million, in my opinion. He has the bargaining chips to pull it off, right now. 2 years, under 10 mil, might be enough to entice a team into trading for Alex.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see what Alex gets. I doubt it's anything high. I would say maybe a 6th or 7th because teams know we want to unload him. As far as Rodgers comments go, he should mind his own business. The team appreciated Alex but a better QB took his job. It's business. I'm so tired of people griping over this still. Alex Smith wasn't going to make it past this season with us. That's reality. In all honesty I can see Alex being a backup somewhere next year just like Campbell and Orton did. People thought they would start somewhere but nobody wanted them to.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Heard an odd interesting stat. Alex needs only a few more attempts for his stats to qualify for season consideration. I hope that somehow he can get those few more attempts - and that he completes almost all of them and gets a TD or 2. Right now he still leads the league in completion percent and is a fraction of a point off of the QBR lead. If he's leaving I'd love for him to leave leading the league in both completion percentage and QBR.
Seriously? It's not gonna happen. Move forward. Our QB just threw for 4 TDs Sunday. That's something Alex never did for us in 8 years.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
We'll see what Alex gets. I doubt it's anything high. I would say maybe a 6th or 7th because teams know we want to unload him. As far as Rodgers comments go, he should mind his own business. The team appreciated Alex but a better QB took his job. It's business. I'm so tired of people griping over this still. Alex Smith wasn't going to make it past this season with us. That's reality. In all honesty I can see Alex being a backup somewhere next year just like Campbell and Orton did. People thought they would start somewhere but nobody wanted them to.
Completely agree. But Arizona and KC in particular might start him. Arizona's qb situation is REALLY BAD. And Arizona loves taking chances on vet qbs who had some kind of success in the past. And they need help right away and Whiz needs to win NOW. He'll take a chance on Alex Smith.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

Why? It does nothing for us and it doesn't get him more money on his next contract. That's like saying if Goldson gonna leave I want him to lead the NFL in INT and PD. Lol
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that Jason LaConfora is reporting that Jacksonville is interested in Tom Gamble as their new GM. Could be another potential landing spot for Alex Smith.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody offered him a multi yr contract this past off-season(besides us; which turned out to be a 1 yr deal anyway)...so why now would they trade for him with 2 yrs remaining? Cmon people can we start getting real? @ best he competes against a high pick for a starting gig.
Miami49er

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sherm wrote:
Nobody offered him a multi yr contract this past off-season(besides us; which turned out to be a 1 yr deal anyway)...so why now would they trade for him with 2 yrs remaining? Cmon people can we start getting real? @ best he competes against a high pick for a starting gig.
i agree but he's put together 2 efficient seasons in a row. A team like Arizona could definitely use efficient. His contract is very cap friendly too. So why not trade a mid or low pick for him instead of letting him hit the open market and having qb needy teams bid for him?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:

Hey, you're expressing your opinion and everyone else can as well. If you don't like it...you could ignore it as so many have been telling me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 22 of 34

Jump to: