Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Controversy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing performance by Kaep. He showed what this offense is supposed to look like, and it's true potential. With that said, I doubt Alex gets benched for him. I hope he does, but I think he's going to remain loyal to Alex.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeebs wrote:
Forge wrote:
No QB controversy. Kaep was great tonight, no doubt about it. But understand that was the very good Kaep; he's still prone to bouts on inaccuracy, and he didn't have that tonight. Also, we have no idea how he would respond to a game on the road, which is, in my opinion, one of the big measures of a QB. Smith is the starter for the rest of the year, but if Kaep gets a little more time to play this year, I could see Alex being cut before his payday next year (i think it's a mistake; i'd keep them both and have an open QB competition next year).

This was one good game. A very impressive showing by a young QB which gets me excited about the years to come. I don't know that it's quite his time though.

It will be very interesting to see what happens this week. If Alex needs to sit another week to get the cobwebs worked out, Kaep would be playing one helluva road game in a loud dome. However, it would be against a lesser defense. It will be an interesting week to be sure.

I'm actually kind of hoping Smith is out one more week for that exact reason. Sure, the saints defense isn't great, but New Orleans is rolling right now and that is one of the hardest road games you can play; super loud and distracting. It would be a great measure to see where Kaep is (so would seattle in seattle for that matter - it may be even better since the seattle d is top notch; the offense just isn't as good).

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
mrscottso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that Smith will remain the starter for the season. I definitely loved what I saw from Kap though. I wouldn't mind seeing Kap play against the Saints next week to see if he can do it again.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you guys are watching the post-game interview, but Harbaugh is very non-committal about the starting QB going forward. He said they were going to make the determination as they go. That's a huge sign that Kaep could get the reins soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys are watching the post-game interview, but Harbaugh is very non-committal about the starting QB going forward. He said they were going to make the determination as they go. That's a huge sign that Kaep could get the reins soon.

That might be Harbaugh trolling the media more than him being non-commital towards Smith. He is an ace at that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of context, I'm the biggest CK fan around. Have been since before we drafted him. With that said, we would all do well to remember how Troy Smith did until other teams figured out what he could and couldn't do, and what his tendencies were. I just can't see us going into the playoffs with a guy who only has a few NFL starts under his belt.

My hope and expectation for Kap, knowing we had Alex for a while, was that we would have a Favre/Rodgers sort of situation where Kap would get some mop up play, and an occasional start when Alex got hurt, and would be ready to step in as the starter in his 3rd or 4th year - and I don't mean learning the job on the fly then. I mean just like Rodgers - ready to come in and play like one of the best. Right now I'd say we're right on track for that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

Harbaugh is the most closemouthed coach in the league. There's no way he's going to talk about plans for future games on tv, or with the press. I heard what he said and read absolutely nothing into it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

It definitely merits thinking about, but I don't buy it from Jim. Plus, lets be honest, is there a better way to mess with the heads of future opponents. Who do you prep for? Vastly different games between the two qbs. There's no question Jim knows what he's going to do in my opinion. I think he knows he's still going to go with smith (of course, that's guesswork on my part), but it's still a fun way to mess with people.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love listening to Kap He really wants to be the starter. I like that hungry, confdent attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/espn_nfcwest/status/270759195744276481

Quote:
Back from 49ers locker room. No one, including Harbaugh, discouraged idea that Kaepernick might have won job. No rain on this parade.

-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Young and Trent Dilfer had some pretty differing ideas on what Harbaugh's post-game comments meant.

Young: Harbaugh clearly wants Kaepernick to be the guy.

Dilfer: Harbaugh was put on the spot and got stuck.

I lean toward the second one myself with Harbaugh's comments. It's hard to read too much into the comments because Kaepernick did just have a great game and Harbaugh is very praising of his players in conferences and the media. To go one way or the other would put the other guy down which is far from Harbaugh's style. Harbaugh's comments were very much non-commital to anything ('we have two guys with the hot hand') so it sounds to me like his way of not putting down either player, subtly or not.

I agree 100% with sbrown on this: Alex remains the starter until he loses it (this season). You don't lose the job due to injury, especially since Alex was 26 of 28 with his last passes and 4 TDs with no interceptions. It's not like he's been playing poorly lately.

I'm as big a fan of Kaepernick as anyone, but it's still Alex's job for now. However, if Alex has a stretch of mediocre games like earlier in the year, I'm no longer AS convinced that he'll retain the job.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Quote:
Back from 49ers locker room. No one, including Harbaugh, discouraged idea that Kaepernick might have won job. No rain on this parade.

All player post game interviews I've seen tonight (Aldon, crabs, and Vernon) were asked about Kaep and ALL of them got a huge smile on their face as soon as they knew it was about Kaep. They love the guy and are really pulling for him. I know they all still love Alex but its like they were happy to see their little brother play really well. It will be interesting to see how Alex feels about this.

I hope if Alex starts next week that he doesn't let tonight get in his mind and think he needs to do more to prove himself and blow the game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Kap to start but I'm pretty sure Smith will start.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
49ersfan wrote:

Quote:

All player post game interviews I've seen tonight (Aldon, crabs, and Vernon) were asked about Kaep and ALL of them got a huge smile on their face as soon as they knew it was about Kaep. They love the guy and are really pulling for him. I know they all still love Alex but its like they were happy to see their little brother play really well. It will be interesting to see how Alex feels about this.

I hope if Alex starts next week that he doesn't let tonight get in his mind and think he needs to do more to prove himself and blow the game.

Agreed. I think Alex has been through enough adversary that it won't effect him. Kaepernick did a great job of concentrating on just one game instead of the bigger picture, I have little doubt Alex would do the same.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 28th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 178
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 872
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that CK is better. He made some throws tonight that Alex rarely even attempts.

That being said - once the initial adrenaline rush wore off at the start of the game, CK started to cool down a bit. He was still great, mind you, but not absolutely shredding them. A bunch of short throws with YAC. Alex will be our guy this year - I have no doubt about that - but next season is really anyone's guess at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 2 of 34

Jump to: