Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Carolina Panthers Starting Roster and Head Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will literally go on a murdering spree if

a) we switch to a 3-4
b) we take another god damned linebacker in the first round

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Manti Teo is pointless. If we were to switch to a 3-4 we have the personel on the team right now to handle the linebacker spots (Anderson-Kuechly-Beason-Davis (maybe Applewhite if he is a better fit). We need help at safety to solidify our secondary. We need a stud DT (Star) to solidfy the front line. We need a RT to solidify our O-line. If we can do these three things (either through FA or the draft) then we will be a much improved team next year on paper. Add a new coach who knows how to cater an offense to the strengths of players then we can be very very successful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with a 3-4 defense. But I do support occasional packages that get all of our stud LB's on the field.

My hope is that we keep Ron and Dwan Edwards and draft an early round selection at DT. Then I believe we will have a pretty damn solid group on the front 4. I like our DE's, Johnson, Hardy, and Alexander are already a top 5 DE rotation in my opinion.

However we desperately need to get a FS. If we could get Byrd we might have one of the best defenses in the league. A guy like him would allow Gamble, Norman, and Munnerlyn to play physical football. Godfrey is actually a pretty good SS in my opinion. Our defense is actually one of the bright spots on this team moving forward.

Offensively the o-line needs an injection of talent. Gross, Kalil, Amini, Bell are all above average players but we need to evaluate what positions are going to be best for them moving forward. I'm not sure how much longer Gross can be a legit LT. Would love to see us a bring in a good LT prospect and move Gross to RT, move Bell inside.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the draft I want a franchise player. Obviously we have our QB, so Top LT, or DE is all I would want.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
As for the draft I want a franchise player. Obviously we have our QB, so Top LT, or DE is all I would want.

I don't think we need a DE. Johnson, Hardy, and Alexander are a great trio, and all young players.

While Dwan and Ron Edwards are serviceable in the middle, we lack both depth and youth in the middle, so a DT would be a much better pick.

Either that or an offensive lineman should be the first round pick. I could see S being targeted as well, but I don't know if their are any super prospects that would warrant a high first round grade in next years draft; we'll probably address that in Rd 2 or free agency.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Panthers11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

I don't think we need a DE. Johnson, Hardy, and Alexander are a great trio, and all young players.

While Dwan and Ron Edwards are serviceable in the middle, we lack both depth and youth in the middle, so a DT would be a much better pick.

Either that or an offensive lineman should be the first round pick. I could see S being targeted as well, but I don't know if their are any super prospects that would warrant a high first round grade in next years draft; we'll probably address that in Rd 2 or free agency.

I agree. DE is fine.

DT, FS, OT, #1 WR are biggest needs.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbegley8 wrote:
Okay so this might be a little crazy but this is what I would like to see happen in the offseason for my beloved Panthers.

1. Our new head coach will be either Chip Kelly of Oregon or Brad Seely the ST coach of the 49ers. I like both but id much rather us get Seely.

2. I think if we get Seely he will move us to a 3-4 Defence and we should cut Beason, Thomas Davis, Nakamura, and D - Will. These cuts will help our salary cap plus Davis and Beason dont fit in a 3-4 D.

3. The draft I think we should take Manti Te'o in the first round. He's a great person, a player and teaming him up with Kuechly in the middle could someday be better then Willis and Bowman in SF. In the 2nd round we draft NT Johnathan Jenkins out of Georgia. With these two picks it makes our move to the 3-4 defence fairly simple.

4. Now after the cuts we should have money to go after a good WR, SS and hopefully a RT.

2013 Starting Lineup
QB. Cam Newton
RB. Jon Stewart
FB. Mike Tolbert
WR1. Steve Smith
WR2. Malcom Floyd or Dwayne Bowe - signed FA
WR3. Brandon LaFell
TE. Greg Olsen
LT. Jordan Gross
LG. Amini Silatolu
C. Ryan Kalil
RG.Byron Bell
RT. James Hurst - drafted 4th round NC State.

DE. Charles Johnson
DE. Greg Hardy
NT. Johnathan Jnkins - drafted 2nd round Georgia
OLB. Frank Alexander
OLB. Thomas Keiser or Devin Taylor - drafted 5th round South Carolina
MLB. MantiTe'o - drafted1st round Notre Dame
MLB. Luke Kuechly
CB. Chris Gamble
CB. Josh Norman
SS. Charles Godfrey
FS. Jairus Byrd - signed FA

Well this is wat id like to see happen, so let me know what you guys think.

We should hire a special teams guy as our head coach, AND cut Beason, Davis and D-Will?

Whatever it is you're on, I want some because that's the most ridiculous string of recommendations i've ever heard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, John Harbaugh was a ST guy before he went to Baltimore. But I'd be shocked if Seely was on any teams radar.

Drafting Te'o would be idiotic.
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL.com said seely would be a big candidate this off-season.

dave toub in chicago interviewed with miami but obv they went with philbin instead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do sort of an "alternate" draft scenario here. Lately I've seen a lot of this pick, and at first I was against is (mainly due to Star being on the board), but if we do our usual jig of winning a few games, its really possible that we miss out on him. So, the change-up pick: Luke Joeckel-OT-Texas A&M

General Manager: No clue
Head Coach: Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos OC)
--McCoy has run successful offensive schemes around Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning, basically the 2 extremes of quarterbacks. He'll form an offense somewhere in between for Newton, relying on an efficient passing attack and a smash-mouth running game.

Offensive Coordinator: Adam Gase (Broncos QB Coach)
--Gase is a passing game guru. He's spent time as a QB and WR coach. As with McCoy, his experience with a wide variety of QB's will be very beneficial to Newton.

Defensive Coordinator: Richard Smith (Broncos LB Coach)
--The raid of the Broncos coaching staff continues, mainly because I'm not very creative or original. Smith's been in the league forever, and the way the Broncos use their LB's could be very good for us.

Draft:

R1P7--Luke Joeckel-OT-Texas A&M--This pick allows an aging Gross to move back to RT, and Byron Bell to compete with Jeff Byers for the RG spot.

R2P5--Tony Jefferson-FS-Oklahoma--The biggest "current need" left, Jefferson should step in from the get-go as a good safety.

R4P7--Josh Boyd-DT-Mississippi State--Boyd is a good pass rusher, which is our biggest weakness at DT. He'll rotate in with the Edwards wall as a situational pass rusher.

R5P7--Phillip Lutzenkirchen-TE-Auburn--If you added any blocking talent to what Gary Barnidge has as a receiver, you'd come out with Lutz. He's been a TD machine at Auburn, but due to their team struggles he hasn't had as many targets and opportunities, so he'll fall some in the draft. He's the #2 TE we really need.

R6P7--Ryan Turnley-C/G-Pittsburgh--A college center, Turnley might be making the switch to G in the NFL. He could be a solid backup at all 3 interior line spots.

Free Agency:

DL Israel Idonije (Bears)--2 years, $4.5 million---The lone free agent signing of this new regime, Idonije adds a veteran pass rushing presence from DT and DE

Cuts:

RB DeAngelo Williams--With Stewart and Tolbert looking like they'll be around for the long haul, its probably time for Williams to go. He'll sign on with Denver or Green Bay to split carries.

FS Haruki Nakamura--He was our "big" signing last offseason, but he's performed miserably, so its time to move on from him.

Roster:

QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Tauren Poole, Kealoha Pilares (RB/WR/KR)
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR: Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Louis Murphy, David Gettis, Joe Adams
TE: Greg Olsen, Phillip Lutzenkirchen, Gary Barnidge
LT: Luke Joeckel
LG: Amini Silatolu, Ryan Turnley
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Byron Bell, Jeff Byers
RT: Jordan Gross, Bruce Campbell

LE: Greg Hardy, Frank Alexander
DT: Ron Edwards, Dwan Edwards, Israel Idonije, Josh Boyd, Andre Neblett
RE: Charles Johnson, Thomas Keiser, Antwan Applewhite
SLB: James Anderson, Jordan Senn
MLB: Luke Kuechly, Jason Williams
WLB: Jon Beason, Thomas Davis
CB: Chris Gamble, Josh Norman, Captain Munnerlyn, Josh Thomas
FS: Tony Jefferson, Sherrod Martin, DJ Campbell
SS: Charles Godfrey, Colin Jones

K: Graham Gano
P: Brad Nortman
LS: JJ Jansen

Some other guys being cut in there as well. I'd be pretty excited with that roster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraziafraze07 wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

The Giants did that a couple years ago when they took JPP. Already had a few nice DE/Pass rushers on the roster than the following year they won the super bowl. You can never have enough pass rush and I'm not too sure when the time comes we'll be able to afford to keep Hardy with all the money that's already invested elsewhere and if we were able to bring in a DE/Pass rusher that could wreak havoc we would be set for the present and the future. Of course all of this relies on if we are in position to get the top flight DE/Pass rusher or LT, if not than we'll have to draft the best person based off of need.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Cypher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
I'm going to do sort of an "alternate" draft scenario here. Lately I've seen a lot of this pick, and at first I was against is (mainly due to Star being on the board), but if we do our usual jig of winning a few games, its really possible that we miss out on him. So, the change-up pick: Luke Joeckel-OT-Texas A&M

General Manager: No clue
Head Coach: Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos OC)
--McCoy has run successful offensive schemes around Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning, basically the 2 extremes of quarterbacks. He'll form an offense somewhere in between for Newton, relying on an efficient passing attack and a smash-mouth running game.

Offensive Coordinator: Adam Gase (Broncos QB Coach)
--Gase is a passing game guru. He's spent time as a QB and WR coach. As with McCoy, his experience with a wide variety of QB's will be very beneficial to Newton.

Defensive Coordinator: Richard Smith (Broncos LB Coach)
--The raid of the Broncos coaching staff continues, mainly because I'm not very creative or original. Smith's been in the league forever, and the way the Broncos use their LB's could be very good for us.

Draft:

R1P7--Luke Joeckel-OT-Texas A&M--This pick allows an aging Gross to move back to RT, and Byron Bell to compete with Jeff Byers for the RG spot.

R2P5--Tony Jefferson-FS-Oklahoma--The biggest "current need" left, Jefferson should step in from the get-go as a good safety.

R4P7--Josh Boyd-DT-Mississippi State--Boyd is a good pass rusher, which is our biggest weakness at DT. He'll rotate in with the Edwards wall as a situational pass rusher.

R5P7--Phillip Lutzenkirchen-TE-Auburn--If you added any blocking talent to what Gary Barnidge has as a receiver, you'd come out with Lutz. He's been a TD machine at Auburn, but due to their team struggles he hasn't had as many targets and opportunities, so he'll fall some in the draft. He's the #2 TE we really need.

R6P7--Ryan Turnley-C/G-Pittsburgh--A college center, Turnley might be making the switch to G in the NFL. He could be a solid backup at all 3 interior line spots.

Free Agency:

DL Israel Idonije (Bears)--2 years, $4.5 million---The lone free agent signing of this new regime, Idonije adds a veteran pass rushing presence from DT and DE

Cuts:

RB DeAngelo Williams--With Stewart and Tolbert looking like they'll be around for the long haul, its probably time for Williams to go. He'll sign on with Denver or Green Bay to split carries.

FS Haruki Nakamura--He was our "big" signing last offseason, but he's performed miserably, so its time to move on from him.

Roster:

QB: Cam Newton, Derek Anderson, Jimmy Clausen
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Tauren Poole, Kealoha Pilares (RB/WR/KR)
FB: Mike Tolbert
WR: Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Louis Murphy, David Gettis, Joe Adams
TE: Greg Olsen, Phillip Lutzenkirchen, Gary Barnidge
LT: Luke Joeckel
LG: Amini Silatolu, Ryan Turnley
C: Ryan Kalil
RG: Byron Bell, Jeff Byers
RT: Jordan Gross, Bruce Campbell

LE: Greg Hardy, Frank Alexander
DT: Ron Edwards, Dwan Edwards, Israel Idonije, Josh Boyd, Andre Neblett
RE: Charles Johnson, Thomas Keiser, Antwan Applewhite
SLB: James Anderson, Jordan Senn
MLB: Luke Kuechly, Jason Williams
WLB: Jon Beason, Thomas Davis
CB: Chris Gamble, Josh Norman, Captain Munnerlyn, Josh Thomas
FS: Tony Jefferson, Sherrod Martin, DJ Campbell
SS: Charles Godfrey, Colin Jones

K: Graham Gano
P: Brad Nortman
LS: JJ Jansen

Some other guys being cut in there as well. I'd be pretty excited with that roster.

I really like this. I'd go Marc Ross/Kevin Abrams as GM, but i'd actually keep McDermott. I think he's done a solid job and his scheme works.

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think McDermott is deserving of keeping his job, but its unlikely with a new GM and coaching staff that anyone in a prominent position stays.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linebackers are too small across the board to be consistently good in a base 3-4. Stopping the run would become an issue. Maybe they could handle a system in which there are 3-4 packages for those mid-range third down situations, but you need "hawses" on the outside at the very least to be consistently effective in that system (think 250 lbs+ with mad athleticism).
Moody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely can't switch to a 3-4. We've got a good thing going with our pass rush and messing with it would be a mistake. The defensive line is so versatile as it is I don't see the point. The defense is practically a hybrid. Adding a dominant DT could make them able to be effective rushing the passer with just three guys. That's a bit different than running a 3-4, where lineman occupy rather than rush as much.

Also: THEY HAVE TO DRAFT A KICKER.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: