Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

something positive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: something positive Reply with quote

The D has been playing well, despite not getting much pressure. Look at the stats for the ravens game, and once you remove the punt return we have 6 points allowed, 2ypc for rice and 160 yards for flacco . I will take that D over years past actually, despite the lack of turnovers and pressure. This D plays effective, yet non existent in area thought to be critical (pressure and turnovers) .

The D can carry this team as long as the running game isn't abandoned and qb play is tolerable. Don't give up yet. I still think we should have won that game.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: something positive Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
The D has been playing well, despite not getting much pressure. Look at the stats for the ravens game, and once you remove the punt return we have 6 points allowed, 2ypc for rice and 160 yards for flacco . I will take that D over years past actually, despite the lack of turnovers and pressure. This D plays effective, yet non existent in area thought to be critical (pressure and turnovers) .

The D can carry this team as long as the running game isn't abandoned and qb play is tolerable. Don't give up yet. I still think we should have won that game.

What about over the 2010 D?? The past few games might be THAT good.
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: something positive Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
3rivers wrote:

What about over the 2010 D?? The past few games might be THAT good.

I am not really into comparing since this D is different. I just have to point out how solid they are playing yet without getting pressure or having huge leads. They shut down 2 good team in the Giants (champs) and Ravens (many pick them to go to the dance). Could it be deja vu and D + filed goals winning games?
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to remind me of the the Aaron Smith situation. A. Smith goes out and the defense the run game inparticular hits the toilet. The Steelers go out and draft a DE in the draft. Few years later run defense is restored and the beat goes on.

Replace A. Smith with Troy Polamalu. The Steelers haven't been able to create a lot of turnovers in his absence, but they have gotten better defense as a unit during. Its going to be interesting if Troy Polamalu returns this season and what his role will be once he returns. If he's even 60% of his former self during the time back. The turnovers will come based off of teams not knowing what to prepare for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lack of a truly dominant player that gives me trouble buying them. In our good years we had Harrison/Woodley terrifying them on the outside, with Farrior being a tackle machine in the middle, and Smith (before the injuries started) being a monster on the end, while Troy was a maniac all over the field doing every little thing. Like I said in an another thread, SF's current defense is the kind of defense we're used to seeing. But then again they're just entering their prime years for that core while ours is at the very end, just about.

I will give Tomlin a ton of credit though. Having the issues with Keisel/Hampton/Hood/Ike all playing very bad to start the year, with your best pass rusher coming off of surgery, your second best pass rusher getting hurt, your HOF safety being out most of the year, it's pretty unbelievable that they're managing to hold up as well as they have. I didn't think we were that deep at all.

Lots of other coaches would have their defense folding under these circumstances, yet we're still at the top, even if it is only Week 11.

I also would of felt a lot better about our defense after the Giants game if the Giants didn't go out the week after and get humiliated by the Bengals. Because I can buy us stopping Joe Flacco any day of the week. We know Joe Flacco and how to kill Joe Flacco well. I was more surprised at how well they handled Eli Manning, but it seems like the Giants are just having problems all together.

The Raiders game is the one that still eats at me and made me completely cynical regarding this defense.
RyanRayne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What might our team be if our walking wounded returned?
Troy
Decastro-never actually played
Brown
Ben
Gilbert

Those are some key people. We actually had a chance on Sunday without all of them. Sad...I hope that we can draft some D next draft and RELOAD..Safety being at the top of the list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: