Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL suspends Ravens Safety Ed Reed; Suspension lifted p.6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
VYoung10


Joined: 02 Oct 2008
Posts: 9116
Location: Billings-406
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
coors wrote:
Kicking the guy out for this infraction.. and in turn having him lose out on $400,000+ is now affecting his livelihood.. I just have a hard time standing with the NFL on this one...
Allowing him to commit helmet-to-helmet hits is potentially affecting other players livelihoods, in addition to potentially affecting his.


Shouldn't play the game then.
_________________

2014 Adopt a Titan:
Bernard Pollard #31
Marc Mariani #83 - CUT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NJ Raven


Joined: 14 Sep 2010
Posts: 2419
Location: NewJersey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of guys that are one hit away from this happening to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6920
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is that they are just making an example of Reed. He only has 3 questionable hits in 3 years, at least 2 of which were very soft. They should have suspended those guys who actually launched themselves at the receiver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensDefense3


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 1006
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now it's Ihedigbo, Pollard, Cary Williams, and Graham. I see Rivers having a big game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
drd23 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
drd23 wrote:
Sciz wrote:
So it seems they're drawing the line after three of these hits, and Reed was the lucky guy to get there first.

If true, it would have been nice to know that beforehand Confused


You shouldn't need to be told to quit breaking rules.

No, but its pretty much standard practice for the terms of punishments to do laid out in advance before they are implemented. Just look at the NBA's rules re flagrant fouls or soccer's rules regarding red-cards and the automatic suspensions they bring. They are set out in advance and everyone knows about them. That is not the case here.

How many times do laws get instituted retro-actively? (Genuine question that I don't know the answer to but I can't imagine there are many instances)


Flagrant fouls and red-cards have been around a lot longer than this new era of player safety. The NFL is kinda figuring it out as they go along

That, and you can't compare them since flagrant and red cards can get you toss from the game. You can commit an unlimited number of fouls in the NFL, outside of fighting or touching an official, and still stay in the game.


That's not true. They haven't thrown anyone out yet, but it's written in the rules that they can.

Quote:
Penalty: For unnecessary roughness: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant.


http://nflcommunications.com/2011/12/27/definition-of-a-defenseless-player/

While i know you're talking about helmet to helmet hits, your statement isn't true. I know of at two guys (and there are probably more) that have been thrown out for personal fouls. Though they were both after the play fouls

Albert Haynesworth (for the head stomp)
Ndomukong Suh (for the arm stomp)

There are probably more. But like you're implying, none that i remember for a helmet to helmet hit.


I'd consider both of those fighting. They aren't part of the defenseless player rules.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19270
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VYoung10 wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
coors wrote:
Kicking the guy out for this infraction.. and in turn having him lose out on $400,000+ is now affecting his livelihood.. I just have a hard time standing with the NFL on this one...
Allowing him to commit helmet-to-helmet hits is potentially affecting other players livelihoods, in addition to potentially affecting his.
Shouldn't play the game then.
... Who shouldn't play the game?

I'm responding to someone criticizing this suspension for "affecting [Reed's] livelihood". That's a rather weak argument. Yes, people can get hurt on any play. But the reason this type of play has been outlawed is because of the increased risk of injury (both long and short term) to both Reed and other players.

The "If you don't want to get hurt, don't play" argument is just silly. People are willing to assume the risks of playing, so long as everybody else is abiding by the rules. It's hard to make that argument when the risk of injury is increased by illegal hits which aren't supposed to happen in the first place.
_________________

[quote="MrDrew"]Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
VYoung10 wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
coors wrote:
Kicking the guy out for this infraction.. and in turn having him lose out on $400,000+ is now affecting his livelihood.. I just have a hard time standing with the NFL on this one...
Allowing him to commit helmet-to-helmet hits is potentially affecting other players livelihoods, in addition to potentially affecting his.
Shouldn't play the game then.
... Who shouldn't play the game?

I'm responding to someone criticizing this suspension for "affecting [Reed's] livelihood". That's a rather weak argument. Yes, people can get hurt on any play. But the reason this type of play has been outlawed is because of the increased risk of injury (both long and short term) to both Reed and other players.

The "If you don't want to get hurt, don't play" argument is just silly. People are willing to assume the risks of playing, so long as everybody else is abiding by the rules. It's hard to make that argument when the risk of injury is increased by illegal hits which aren't supposed to happen in the first place.


Exactly. Well said.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40063
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Wow. Ted Cottrell lifts Ed Reed's suspension, fines him just $50,000 fine. Guess that's why there is an appeals process.


http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/270992456219234304
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GBPACKMAN4LIFE


Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Posts: 17891
Location: Spokane, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised this wasn't a "report" from @NFL_RealUpdates
_________________

Ernest Hemingway wrote:
My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Wow. Ted Cottrell lifts Ed Reed's suspension, fines him just $50,000 fine. Guess that's why there is an appeals process.


http://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/270992456219234304


That's not the guy who suspended him, is it?

Funny how that works out when the guy doing the appeals isn't the same guy who handed out the suspension. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6920
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Reed's appeal statement:

"I'm ED ####### REED!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7157
Location: PLAY BALL, PA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ Raven wrote:
There are a ton of guys that are one hit away from this happening to them.


Ryan Clark would be one which is why he didn't like the suspension in the first place. I'm sure he likes that they rescinded it now.
_________________


Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3714
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was pretty clear Ed turned his head before contact. Still helmet to helmet, but he didn't hit him with the crown
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."


Last edited by StRawz11 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tylerdouglass


Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 14168
Location: Bellingham, WA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
It was pretty clear Ed turned his head before contact. Still helmet to helmet, but he didn't hit hit with the crown


Irrelevant. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3714
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
It was pretty clear Ed turned his head before contact. Still helmet to helmet, but he didn't hit hit with the crown


Irrelevant. Wink


Not really. Crown of the helmet is much more dangerous
_________________


"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group