Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert removed as starter, Henne to take over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Just saw the date on the article you posted, KYDI, and what Mularkey said isn't relevant. Henne DID provide a spark, so now he's the starter. That simple.

Mularkey said Gabbert is his guy and that he needs the reps. Now he's turning to Henne based off his performance yesterday.

What he said is relevant.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
SnakePlissken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, at least you guys didn't have to pay him $40million up front, the new rookie scale means you guys can move on if need be.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
finally...The Jaguars have been too much patient with him
As were the Giants with Eli Manning.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Funny considering we were being told that Henne has no chance to start on this team while Gabbert is here last week.
Based on what he had done up to that point, yes there was no shot. But things change when your starter gets nicked up and the backup goes for 350 and 4 TDs.

- Best since day one -
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO giving up on your former 1st round QB after less than 3 seasons is a mistake. I know the new rookie wage scale makes it so much easier to cut your losses, but franchises owe it to themselves to see if they can get a return on investment.
titwio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed is when Gabbert was the starter, he rarely even looked Blackmon's way. I know I only watched the Jags sparingly and could be wrong but when Henne played the last two weeks, all of a sudden Blackmon is open every play and is getting big targets??

What is up with that?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Funny considering we were being told that Henne has no chance to start on this team while Gabbert is here last week.
Based on what he had done up to that point, yes there was no shot. But things change when your starter gets nicked up and the backup goes for 350 and 4 TDs.

You were still wrong when you said there was "no chance". Just saying.

Nacho Simulation Football League
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
iPwn wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

You were still wrong when you said there was "no chance". Just saying.
I never said there was "no chance." Just saying.

I don't think anyone else did either. Everything we said was predicated on the fact that Henne had been hot garbage up to that point.

- Best since day one -
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
One thing I noticed is when Gabbert was the starter, he rarely even looked Blackmon's way. I know I only watched the Jags sparingly and could be wrong but when Henne played the last two weeks, all of a sudden Blackmon is open every play and is getting big targets??

What is up with that?
He got 6.55.. targets a game. Shorts 6.44.. targets a game, Robinson 5.86.. targets, Marcedes Lewis 4 targets.

That's before this game.

- Best since day one -
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
As were the Texans with David Carr.

Not saying this is the RIGHT decision - the team needs to see if Blaine Gabbert has a future as the Jags QB, and taking starts away from the guy isn't how you answer that question. Just saying, "sticking" with a QB for the sake of sticking with him is a two way road. In the case of the Giants, it paid off. In the case of the Texans, it didn't.

In the case of the Jags...well...don't know.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
incognito_man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabbert has the ability, the Jaguars would be foolish to move on without IMO.
iPwn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Not saying this is the RIGHT decision - the team needs to see if Blaine Gabbert has a future as the Jags QB, and taking starts away from the guy isn't how you answer that question. Just saying, "sticking" with a QB for the sake of sticking with him is a two way road. In the case of the Giants, it paid off. In the case of the Texans, it didn't.

I'm not saying stick with him just because. Statistically, his first two seasons are on par with Eli's first two seasons. He's been getting progressively better.

I've been one of the most vocally against Gabbert since the time he was drafted. But to pull the plug with 6 games into his sophomore season, when he's still younger than most rookies is ridiculous. I'm more than okay to going with another QB, but we should make sure we don't have Drew Brees on our roster before deciding to draft Phillip Rivers over Larry Fitzgerald, you know? He'd be playing some really bad defenses the next 6 weeks and if he really struggles, you'd know for certain that he needs to be replaced. If he strings together the equivalent of some of his better games and comes out of the season with:
294/478 61.5% 3,228 yards 6.7 YPA 19TDs 6INTs 89.49 Passer Rating
Or something like that, don't you think he'd be worth sticking with for a while longer to see if he can continue to develop?

Not saying he will, but it's something that could be possible. And if he doesn't, the team finishes 2-14 or so and has every chance to nab the QB they think can actually be the guy.

We already know what Henne is. He's a guy that can have a good game then a terrible one. That's not going to help us long term.

I just don't see what giving up on a young QB who you thought could be your franchise guy for a couple wins that will push you out of contention for a replacement really accomplishes.

Unless this team thinks this one game shows them that Henne can be the guy over everything they saw previous to this that made them say that he wasn't going to ever be more than a backup here.. And in that case, I have no faith in this staff.

- Best since day one -
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

I'm not saying stick with him just because. Statistically, his first two seasons are on par with Eli's first two seasons. He's been getting progressively better.

I've been one of the most vocally against Gabbert since the time he was drafted. But to pull the plug with 6 games into his sophomore season, when he's still younger than most rookies is ridiculous. I'm more than okay to going with another QB, but we should make sure we don't have Drew Brees on our roster before deciding to draft Phillip Rivers over Larry Fitzgerald, you know? He'd be playing some really bad defenses the next 6 weeks and if he really struggles, you'd know for certain that he needs to be replaced. If he strings together the equivalent of some of his better games and comes out of the season with:
294/478 61.5% 3,228 yards 6.7 YPA 19TDs 6INTs 89.49 Passer Rating
Or something like that, don't you think he'd be worth sticking with for a while longer to see if he can continue to develop?

Not saying he will, but it's something that could be possible. And if he doesn't, the team finishes 2-14 or so and has every chance to nab the QB they think can actually be the guy.

We already know what Henne is. He's a guy that can have a good game then a terrible one. That's not going to help us long term.

I just don't see what giving up on a young QB who you thought could be your franchise guy for a couple wins that will push you out of contention for a replacement really accomplishes.

Unless this team thinks this one game shows them that Henne can be the guy over everything they saw previous to this that made them say that he wasn't going to ever be more than a backup here.. And in that case, I have no faith in this staff.

I don't like Gabbert, never have. They could stick with him. At this point, it doesn't really matter...the season is done. But regardless, I hope they're making future plans because I don't think he'll ever be a good starter.

I feel the same about the Rams. They need to start evaluating QBs too. I'm not ready to give up on Bradford yet but more weeks like the Jets game and he'll have reached his limit with me.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
IMO they can't go back now unless injury forces them to. They just admitted Gabbert isn't there QB. Ride Henne for the season and go get a guy that fits what your trying to do.

Why is nobody considering how banged up Gabbert is right now? Both of Gabbert's arms are messed up.

Why go back to a banged up youngster the week after Henne pulls off a decent game, and risk him looking bad by comparison? Let Henne put the controversy to bed himself by what he's likely to do relatively soon...play a bad game.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
IMO they can't go back now unless injury forces them to. They just admitted Gabbert isn't there QB. Ride Henne for the season and go get a guy that fits what your trying to do.

Why is nobody considering how banged up Gabbert is right now? Both of Gabbert's arms are messed up.

Why go back to a banged up youngster the week after Henne pulls off a decent game, and risk him looking bad by comparison? Let Henne put the controversy to bed himself by what he's likely to do relatively soon...play a bad game.

Mularkey also said it was performance based. I could understand him trying to lie and saying it's because Gabbert is banged up but he bluntly said it.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: