Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So, is everyone on board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinmun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: So, is everyone on board? Reply with quote

Well, the Colts game was frustrating, the Titans game was a shock and now the Bills come along and really deflated whatever dreams we had. The post-season hopes are dashed now and so we look forward with an eye on the draft in April and an eye on the team and it’s development here in the last 6 weeks of the season.

It’s been a positive step overall. We’ve improved the coaches. We’ve improved the offensive approach. I think we’ve improved the QB position as well. Matt Moore is a solid back-up and Tannehill has shown everything I wanted to see in terms of poise, intelligence and arm. We’ve got a “Big 3” of our own to be happy about I suppose.

So here’s what we’ve got left:

Seahawks @ Home
Patriots @ Home
@ 49ers
Jaguars @ Home
Bills @ Home
@ Patriots

It certainly doesn’t look like we’ll do much. I could see us winning 2 or 3 of those games if we played well enough but it’s a real stretch looking at anything other than Jacksonville. I doubt the Patriots or 49ers will treat us well. I had originally said that we had 10 winnable games on the schedule and that I figured we’d do well to bat .500 in those games. I had predicted 5 wins this year so while we’ve gotten on a slide recently, I think the team still has a chance to out-perform my expectations thanks to the solid start.

It looks like opponents have figured out how to stop our offense. Opposing LBs are doing a good job filling the A and B gaps to stuff our runs. Opposing DBs are crowding our WRs and taking away Tannehill’s options. And finally, this is allowing more pressure to come at our Tackles which is forcing our pass protection into a state of retreat.

It’s hard to imagine things improving much since we’ve hit a wall in terms of personnel, talent and ability. There’s not much the coaches can without more talent so it’s probably going to be a bumpy road as we watch things come to a close.

But, as I said, I think we’ve made the overall shift well enough this year and I’m looking forward to the offseason. It’ll be nice to see who comes back and who doesn’t. It’ll be a chance for guys like Vernon and Matthews to maybe step up their games. We’ll probably get an answer regarding Egnew, too.

So, what’s the overall feeling guys?

Ya happy?
Miami2DaMax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are gonna be lucky to win 2 of those games. =/
Manic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i think over these last few games its become blatantly obvious we need an overhaul on the oline. Pouncy and maybe martin are the only 2 id keep. Also need 1 wr who's a legitimate threat, greg jennings or mike wallace perhaps.

on defense we need to add pass rushers on the front 4, and 1 or 2 more defensive backs.

Its been hard to watch the last 3 games. Our offensive line cannot run or pass block. I dont even think walter peyton could gain more than 50 with this line. Our wrs are not good enuff to get open consistently with the amount of time the oline is giving tanny. Its sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The franchise is in a better place then it was last year at this time and with the extra picks and cap space with in my mind a promising QB it should be better off this time next year as well. I am on board
ajiggel72

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So- we are saying we will be lucky to won 6 games. That would likely garner us a top 10 pick. Whose your pick? No WR/CB/S is worth a top 10 this year so this is what I'd say: OLB Jarvis Jones, MLB Manti Te 'o, LT Luke Joeckle would be my top targets. The wildcats I'd thrown in is DE Bjoren Warner. Should be interesting.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about those positions but you could add a few DE that will be there damontre moore, ziggy ansuh from byu is a jason pierre paul type player and dion jordon from oregon all those guys will be top 15 guys. I am starting to get on board with a speed rush DE or G Chance warmack from alabama and look FOR 2 WR IN ROUND 2
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking 6 and 10 before the season and I think it is possible.
I like what has happened on the team since the end of last season and I am glad Tannehill is the starter this season even though his weapons are weak.
It will take Tannehill 2 more seasons to become what he is going to be and I hope the front office works hard to put the other needed parts in place during that time.
1. The secondary is barely average
2. A deep threat TD maker reciever
3. Upgrades on both lines.
4. A playmaker at running back. Bush is good but he will be done in Miami in another 2 years in if not sooner.
I got some false hopes up at the start of the season but now I am seeing more of what I expected for this season. I do have more good feelings about the future with the base that is now in place.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this loss, I do admit the season is over as far as playoffs are concerned but I'm still hoping we take the second spot in the division. We are still better than the Jets and hopefully we finish better than the Bills and beat them the second time around.

Our offensive wall is the fact that this offensive playbook is based on three and four receiver sets and we only have two good receivers. We have a limited amount of plays that we can run with two receiver sets and the fact that our FB/TE2 and even Fasano aren't looked at often limits a lot of our plays. Hartline is dealing with number one corners who are beating him and Bess is a slot receiver who is being asked to run along the numbers. Our running game is based on up the middle runs because for some weird reason, Bush can't run to the outside. And our line, although not playing as bad as you guys are making them sound, aren't nearly fast enough to zone block nor run screen plays. In essence we are running, maybe at most, 1/3rd of our playbook.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
After this loss, I do admit the season is over as far as playoffs are concerned but I'm still hoping we take the second spot in the division. We are still better than the Jets and hopefully we finish better than the Bills and beat them the second time around.

Our offensive wall is the fact that this offensive playbook is based on three and four receiver sets and we only have two good receivers. We have a limited amount of plays that we can run with two receiver sets and the fact that our FB/TE2 and even Fasano aren't looked at often limits a lot of our plays. Hartline is dealing with number one corners who are beating him and Bess is a slot receiver who is being asked to run along the numbers. Our running game is based on up the middle runs because for some weird reason, Bush can't run to the outside. And our line, although not playing as bad as you guys are making them sound, aren't nearly fast enough to zone block nor run screen plays. In essence we are running, maybe at most, 1/3rd of our playbook.

I agree. I found myself explaining during Thursday game that for many reasons it's not going to really get better. The coaches have their hands tied now that defenses have adjusted to what little we put on the field.

Some good thoughts in there though!

We could be 2nd in the division behind the Pats which is great to think about considering the ineptitude and Jets seem to go nicely together and the Bills really have much more talent than us. It's nice to think we might have an upper-hand on an under-achieving Bills team and that Fireman Ed has had to watch so many games this season with his head in his hands. Haha...I loved every time they showed him this year.

We could have sat here and watched Matt Moore play all year. I for one am happy we avoided that. Nothing against Matt Moore but watching Tannehill has been a much more entertaining experience.
hammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyle and Sherman are not upgrades. They are part of the problem.
NBA: New York Knicks
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammer wrote:
Coyle and Sherman are not upgrades. They are part of the problem.

I've had my doubts about both of them. I'm not exactly sure what Coyle brings and Sherman has had both ups and down throughout his career. It's like when we had Pasqualoni & Henning. I like the combination of Coyle & Sherman a lot more but I'd be open to hearing critiques of what everyone thinks these guys bring.

Keep in mind that Philbin & Sherman are tied at the hip so it's highly doubtful even 3 or 4 years down the road that we'd see Sherman get replaced without an entire washing out of the coaching staff.

We're probably going to stick with what we have on offense and that's probably a very good thing considering continuity has been our problem.
Deets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not impressed with Sherman right now. The offense is inept.

FF Member #67
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I can't have sympathy for anyone that let postseason thought enter their mind.

2. Lay off the coordinators. You sounded smarter when you where talking about the playoffs. These same coordinators ripped off a 3 game winning streak with this same squad. They are running a standard wc offense and a traditional 4-3 cover two. So just stop it.

3. We have players playing out of position. Because the owner is no smarter than you are. Because he wants to win while you rebuild and if he doesn't win he starts to rebuild all over again. And what makes it worse, he won't admit that we are rebuilding. We go run first and fill a roster with players (especially linemen) that fit that scheme. However that's no the way of the current NFL. It's the way of a the Mango Head Dinosaur who wanted to add this decade to his over rated legacy. And your tuna pimped our owner. Now we have dinosaur linemen in a gazelle oriented offense. We wanna run quick slants underneath of safeties who are supposed to pre occupied with a speed demon. But we lack the speed demon.

We got 4-3 tackles at DE and 1 dimensional DTs

We only have two offensive linemen that fit and only one of them are playing well. Our corners are a joke ...

The book is out on us. Throw the ball. And it's not scheme it's the schemers. The Players.

So leave these accomplished championship level coordinators alone. You sound silly.

I think the answer to all of this is to draft BPA (and by best, I mean quick athletic, current era athletes) ... we need a team of Football players.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
1. I can't have sympathy for anyone that let postseason thought enter their mind.

2. Lay off the coordinators. You sounded smarter when you where talking about the playoffs. These same coordinators ripped off a 3 game winning streak with this same squad. They are running a standard wc offense and a traditional 4-3 cover two. So just stop it.

3. We have players playing out of position. Because the owner is no smarter than you are. Because he wants to win while you rebuild and if he doesn't win he starts to rebuild all over again. And what makes it worse, he won't admit that we are rebuilding. We go run first and fill a roster with players (especially linemen) that fit that scheme. However that's no the way of the current NFL. It's the way of a the Mango Head Dinosaur who wanted to add this decade to his over rated legacy. And your tuna pimped our owner. Now we have dinosaur linemen in a gazelle oriented offense. We wanna run quick slants underneath of safeties who are supposed to pre occupied with a speed demon. But we lack the speed demon.

We got 4-3 tackles at DE and 1 dimensional DTs

We only have two offensive linemen that fit and only one of them are playing well. Our corners are a joke ...

The book is out on us. Throw the ball. And it's not scheme it's the schemers. The Players.

So leave these accomplished championship level coordinators alone. You sound silly.

I think the answer to all of this is to draft BPA (and by best, I mean quick athletic, current era athletes) ... we need a team of Football players.

1.) We all wanted to see a possible Play-Off appearance, including you. It's the reason teams play football. It was a realistic scenario for a short time and calling me stupid is calling yourself stupid, too.

2.) If you don't know anything in detail about the scheme or the coordinators' history, it's okay to say so. You don't have to post at all. Just admit you don't have any original thoughts because you don't know anything about the topic I can't grab from Wikipedia in 5 seconds.

3.) I said those things about the defense before you hopped on the bandwagon. There's no one in this forum who can't describe what's up with the roster right now.

It's amazing to me how arrogant you can be when:

You have no access we don't have.
You have no insight we don't have.
You have no comments we can't make.

You and Merc are the old guard.

Bitter

and

Impatient.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deets wrote:
I am not impressed with Sherman right now. The offense is inept.

Exactly.

While we lack talent, it's hard to imagine we can't be doing a few more things with Clay and Bush as receiving targets which I think is the only real question mark we can have right now about the play-calling of Sherman.

I like his system but when we score 17 points in the 1st half against Indy then put up only 3 points in the 2nd half you must be concerned. When we go up against Tennessee and look absolutely inept, you have to have questions. The same can be said for the Bills game where we basically had only 1 good drive during the entire game.

We have solid options. Our weapons are lacking but certainly not the worst in the league yet we've managed to be inept. Hartline and Bess have great hands. Bush has great open-field ability. Clay has been able to run good routes and get open up the seem. Fasano is a decent if not solid receiving option. Lamar Miller has shown nothing but flashes of great, natural running ability and Daniel Thomas was supposed to have good ability to run in space as well (he did @ Kansas).

We're acting like we have nothing available at all because we don't have a guy like Mike Wallace. We had plenty of ability to move the ball early on and the fact we can't adapt to tighter defenses shows that we really aren't running much of our playbook because with Gaffney, Hartline, Bess, Bush, Fasano, Thomas, Clay & Miller we'd ought to be able to get 2 or 3 TDs a game.

As was said prior by I forget who, we simply aren't seeing much diversity at all in the plays that are being called which leads me to question what might be the thing holding us back. Tannehill after all was supposed to be ahead of the curve in knowing this offense.

Our best chance for success was the up-tempo style of play-calling we had early on so we need to be able to get back to that if we want any chance of winning or even competing in the remaining games this year.

I think we've gotten bogged down in trying to run the ball too much on 1st down. There are way too many time we're sitting here watching this offense begin each set of downs facing 2nd and 11.

If we can't run the ball more effectively, we need to be putting more WRs outside and running more quick plays that can be called without getting Tannehill killed. The reason Tannehill looked so good early on was that he was facing beatable blitz on 3rd and manageable.

By comparison, this desire to get Reggie Bush the ball by running him between the tackles is forcing Tannehill and his receiving targets to adapt to facing 3rd and 10 instead of 3rd and 4.

Part of why our pass protection is looking so bad is that Tannehill isn't being given a chance to get the ball out quickly either. That should be our MO right now, I think. I'm not seeing that however and there's definitely been a switch in how we're getting the ball to our guys. We're not doing anything at all to get the leverage on offense.

It might scare some of you but adding Wallace or Woods to this is not the answer to the ineptitude we're seeing. It's going to take a smarter approach in the play-calling which is what I wonder about with Sherman. He's got the knowledge but he's always had criticism when discussed and partly for things like this. His offenses get stale which is exactly what we've seen.

It still eludes me why Reggie Bush is being considered our Reshard Mendenhall and not our Ray Rice. He should be catching more dump-offs that take the opposing pass rush out of the equation.

Last edited by phinmun on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: