Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Miami Mock Draft Trade Down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PhinFan52


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4341
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread... but if this was our O-Line next season.. I'd be a happy-camper........

Barrett Jones ..LT.. 6'5" 311

Andy Levitre.. LG.. 6'2" 302

Mike Pouncey.. C.. 6'5" 303

Omoregie Uzzi.. RG.. 6'3" 300

J. Martin .. RT.. 6'5" 312
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6756
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we bring in a STUD - FA - LT, any Oline draft pk that does not start out with a LT is unacceptable in my eyes.

There is no way in Hell I am going along quietly unless we acquire a new LT for next yr.
And that's regardless of J. Longs future with Mia.

pissed
sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PhinFan52


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4341
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUG wrote:
Unless we bring in a STUD - FA - LT, any Oline draft pk that does not start out with a LT is unacceptable in my eyes.

There is no way in Hell I am going along quietly unless we acquire a new LT for next yr.
And that's regardless of J. Longs future with Mia.

pissed
sug


Sharing some info on Jones a Scouting report By Charlie Campbell
posting to show.. I'm not the only one beliving in Jones..


Career Recap: Jones has been core player for Alabama's program the past three years. He has been a key contributor to the success of the Crimson Tide's running game and its national championship victories in two of the past three seasons.

As a redshirt freshman in 2009, Jones started 14 games at guard. He helped pave the way for running back Mark Ingram to win a Heisman Trophy as Alabama went undefeated en route to winning the title. As a sophomore, Jones stayed at guard and was a first-team All-SEC selection.

The Crimson Tide moved Jones to left tackle last year. Some questioned if Jones had the athletic ability to block on the edge, but he resoundingly silenced those concerns. Jones was excellent. He did a fabulous job of run blocking for Trent Richardson and was equally good in pass protection. In his biggest test of the year, the junior was playing very well against LSU before he sustained an ankle injury in the second half. Earlier in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid, not allowing a sack or pressure while going up against two future first-round pass rushers in Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Jones played well in the rematch for the national championship and capped off a phenomenal season.


2012 Season Outlook: Interestingly, Alabama is moving Jones to center for his senior season despite the fact that he was a First-Team SEC selection for his play at left tackle as a junior. They are looking to get their best five linemen on the field together, and Jones has the versatility to move around.

Alabama lost Richardson to the NFL, but they have plenty of talented backs ready to replace him. They return a lot of other good offensive linemen like Chance Warmack and D.J. Fluker, so Jones will have blocking talent around him. If Jones takes to the center position, he will have excelled at guard, tackle and center for the Crimson Tide.

Skill-Set Summary: It is clear that Jones is a versatile athlete. He is an excellent technician. His hand placement and knee bend are picture perfect. There is no doubt that Jones has done a superb job of developing his technique. He has honed it in practice while going up against many future NFL linemen like Courtney Upshaw, Josh Chapman, Jesse Williams and Marcell Dareus.

As a run blocker, Jones has the strength to push defensive linemen around at the point of attack. He is a good drive blocker to be a power-man blocker with the mobility to hit blocks on the second level. Jones could fit as a zone blocker or in a power-man blocking scheme as a pro.

Jones is rock steady in pass protection. He is quick and shuffles his feet with speed rushers while having the powerful base to stand up bull rushers. Jones really did well at left tackle in 2011, and considering the need for the position in the NFL, some teams could consider him to be their blind-side protector.

With Jones' versatility, it isn't unreasonable to think that he could start at any of the five positions on the offensive line in the NFL, although it is hard to say what his best position would be right now.

Jones is a hard-working, team-first guy. Not only can his intelligence be seen in learning multiple positions, but he graduated with his degree in accounting in three years with a 4.0 grade-point average. Jones was getting his master's degree during his "junior" season of college football. Off the field, Jones also works with a charity that has prompted him to make multiple trips to Haiti to work with an orphanage.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013bjones.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3136
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind seeing Jerry at RT. Most of our runs are to the inside making his role in the ZBS quite minimal compared to now as a guard. If we don't go LT early of course.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Bama guys are "man-maulers" right?
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3136
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Those Bama guys are "man-maulers" right?


Fluker, 100% Yes.
Jones, I feel, could easily convert to the ZBS.
Warmack is like Long, wildly talented but I don't think he will succeed in the ZBS. That said, he is talented enough to look at.

Jones and Warmack will both be 1st rounders. Fluker will go in the 2nd to third. All of this provided nothing out of place happens of course.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SUG


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 6756
Location: Alameda, Ca
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Unless we bring in a STUD - FA - LT, any Oline draft pk that does not start out with a LT is unacceptable in my eyes.

There is no way in Hell I am going along quietly unless we acquire a new LT for next yr.
And that's regardless of J. Longs future with Mia.

pissed
sug


Sharing some info on Jones a Scouting report By Charlie Campbell
posting to show.. I'm not the only one beliving in Jones..


Career Recap: Jones has been core player for Alabama's program the past three years. He has been a key contributor to the success of the Crimson Tide's running game and its national championship victories in two of the past three seasons.

As a redshirt freshman in 2009, Jones started 14 games at guard. He helped pave the way for running back Mark Ingram to win a Heisman Trophy as Alabama went undefeated en route to winning the title. As a sophomore, Jones stayed at guard and was a first-team All-SEC selection.

The Crimson Tide moved Jones to left tackle last year. Some questioned if Jones had the athletic ability to block on the edge, but he resoundingly silenced those concerns. Jones was excellent. He did a fabulous job of run blocking for Trent Richardson and was equally good in pass protection. In his biggest test of the year, the junior was playing very well against LSU before he sustained an ankle injury in the second half. Earlier in the evening, Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid, not allowing a sack or pressure while going up against two future first-round pass rushers in Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo. Jones played well in the rematch for the national championship and capped off a phenomenal season.


2012 Season Outlook: Interestingly, Alabama is moving Jones to center for his senior season despite the fact that he was a First-Team SEC selection for his play at left tackle as a junior. They are looking to get their best five linemen on the field together, and Jones has the versatility to move around.

Alabama lost Richardson to the NFL, but they have plenty of talented backs ready to replace him. They return a lot of other good offensive linemen like Chance Warmack and D.J. Fluker, so Jones will have blocking talent around him. If Jones takes to the center position, he will have excelled at guard, tackle and center for the Crimson Tide.

Skill-Set Summary: It is clear that Jones is a versatile athlete. He is an excellent technician. His hand placement and knee bend are picture perfect. There is no doubt that Jones has done a superb job of developing his technique. He has honed it in practice while going up against many future NFL linemen like Courtney Upshaw, Josh Chapman, Jesse Williams and Marcell Dareus.

As a run blocker, Jones has the strength to push defensive linemen around at the point of attack. He is a good drive blocker to be a power-man blocker with the mobility to hit blocks on the second level. Jones could fit as a zone blocker or in a power-man blocking scheme as a pro.

Jones is rock steady in pass protection. He is quick and shuffles his feet with speed rushers while having the powerful base to stand up bull rushers. Jones really did well at left tackle in 2011, and considering the need for the position in the NFL, some teams could consider him to be their blind-side protector.

With Jones' versatility, it isn't unreasonable to think that he could start at any of the five positions on the offensive line in the NFL, although it is hard to say what his best position would be right now.

Jones is a hard-working, team-first guy. Not only can his intelligence be seen in learning multiple positions, but he graduated with his degree in accounting in three years with a 4.0 grade-point average. Jones was getting his master's degree during his "junior" season of college football. Off the field, Jones also works with a charity that has prompted him to make multiple trips to Haiti to work with an orphanage.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013bjones.php


Howdy 52

Again, I'm simply not interested in acquiring an OG with our 1st or 2nd pk much less via FA.
I want a DEDICATED LT STUD who fits the mold of a WC Off & not another "potential RT".

If JL want's to take a cut in pay to move over to RT you can kick J. Martin inside to OG.

I think J. Long could make a decent OG given he is so strong.
I just don't know how stout J. Martin can be inside...???

Appreciate the thought process, we need to examine every possible option.
For me the most important upgrade on the entire team starts with JL's replacement.

sug
_________________
# 52
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
green4gulf


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 2228
Location: TN, by way of Palm Beach FL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a top 15 Center, so sticking with traditional theory I'll go against burning a 1st rounder on a Gaurd. If there's value there for the right guy when we pick in the 2nd, then I'm OK with a Gaurd in the 2nd.....if it's a value pick.....but no way can I get on board with a Gaurd in the 1st when we have a young 1st rounder playing Center. If Pouncey's as great as everyone claims then our interior O-Line should be amazing with a 2nd-3rd round OG.

I'm in the camp that our 1st pick needs to be the best talent available between CB, DE, and WR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our offense was meant to feature a powerful running game and consistent play-action, then I think it's possible we'd value those 1st round offensive Tackles & Guards more highly. In Miami, it's going to be about finding guys who can adequately pass protect and can do a solid job sealing defenders with zone concepts.

When I think of 1st round linemen the picture in my head is more of exceptionally strong players like the Pouncey twins, players like Jake Long and guys like you see in San Francisco and Baltimore where strength and physicality is as important as athleticism. Some of those players (Pouncey for example) do fit our scheme but are really more than I think we need.

It's a great thing to have Pouncey but I definitely don't think that our style of offense is going to mandate we go that high in the draft to get that big a talent on either side. I can understand the argument for Tackles but I just can't fathom putting a guy as good as Pouncey at center and then putting another guy of that caliber at Guard, too. That's just way overkill.

In other words, I don't think we'd be doing ourselves a favor treating our O-line like we're the San Francisco 49ers. They look great and those 1st round linemen do a wonderful job but I think our approach to offense is going to call for something closer to what we see in New England, Green Bay and Houston where we want the ball coming out of our QBs hands as fast as possible and we want as little stress and attention to be put on the backs of our linemen individually as possible.

Those 3 teams do have some great individual linemen but it's more about solidifying the group and its general performance than having dominant stand-outs like you see in some places.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maddogg


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 1679
Location: A Galaxy Far Far Away......
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called up Don Shula and told him the posters here hated him picking Roy Foster...... OMG .... a guard in round 1 of the 1982 draft and then had the audacity to wait till round two to draft Mark Duper a wide receiver.

Shula further ruined his reputation by waiting till his offensive line was in place first, then drafted a quarterback named Dan Marino the following year.

Don stated to me "I really set the franchise back with those drafts". I had no reply, all I could do was gently hang up the phone.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
I called up Don Shula and told him the posters here hated him picking Roy Foster...... OMG .... a guard in round 1 of the 1982 draft and then had the audacity to wait till round two to draft Mark Duper a wide receiver.

Shula further ruined his reputation by waiting till his offensive line was in place first, then drafted a quarterback named Dan Marino the following year.

Don stated to me "I really set the franchise back with those drafts". I had no reply, all I could do was gently hang up the phone.


According to Wikipedia Roy Foster was selected 24th overall. The Dolphins at that point were a pretty good team. Remember, they made the Super Bowl in 1984 which was due to a lot more than just Dan Marino who at the time didn't even have a full season under his belt.

Citing the Dolphins of the early 80s is like citing the Giants today and saying they'd be stupid to pick a 1st round Guard. I don't think that's the case and I don't anyone here does either. They have plenty of weapons and are at the point where strengthening the line is just a smart long-term decision.

But for us? No, that wouldn't be a smart decision.

We're talking about a team now that's got a lot more needs and also a scheme which doesn't warrant Mike Pouncey's up and down the line! We already have 1 of those along the O-line's interior which is more than enough in this offense (I think).

We certainly won't be picking 24th overall. We have to judge top-10 picks here and hedge our bets on who we think isn't going to bust and who's going to actually make a difference for us.

And lastly, if Shula isn't the 1st to admit he won the lottery with Marino, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Great coach. Great QB. But they were 2 years from a Super Bowl.

We are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1920
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhinFan52 wrote:
I posted this on another thread... but if this was our O-Line next season.. I'd be a happy-camper........

Barrett Jones ..LT.. 6'5" 311

Andy Levitre.. LG.. 6'2" 302

Mike Pouncey.. C.. 6'5" 303

Omoregie Uzzi.. RG.. 6'3" 300

J. Martin .. RT.. 6'5" 312
Andy levitre my number 1 wish list in free agency. Young athletic and a premier pass blocking G.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
PhinFan52 wrote:
I posted this on another thread... but if this was our O-Line next season.. I'd be a happy-camper........

Barrett Jones ..LT.. 6'5" 311

Andy Levitre.. LG.. 6'2" 302

Mike Pouncey.. C.. 6'5" 303

Omoregie Uzzi.. RG.. 6'3" 300

J. Martin .. RT.. 6'5" 312
Andy levitre my number 1 wish list in free agency. Young athletic and a premier pass blocking G.


...and what are the odds he gets out of Buffalo? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1920
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question buffalo has spent alot of money lately and will have a tough decision on who to franchise being pro bowl FS jarius byrd is a free agent also. He is a solid G ranked very high by profootballfocus in pass blocking but is he a franchise tag player over jarius byrd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhinFan52


Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4341
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get we "need" OG's and Jones would be a GREAT OG IMO and is doing well at C this season.. but Jones was a LT during.... Bama's National Championship season.. he did well against what some say will be 1st rd NFL picks.....
Jones was doing a phenomenal job of run blocking for Trent Richardson, and Alabama had a lot of success running behind Jones. He also wasn't getting help with LSU's speed rushers on the edge, and Jones was rock solid, not allowing a sack or pressure while going up against two future first-round pass rushers in Sam Montgomery and Barkevious Mingo.

Jones played well in the rematch for the national championship and capped off a phenomenal season

so really we could be drafting a LT and let Long go.. or .....
also... I'm a holdout.. I'm thinking we pick in the 16-20 range... Shocked


Last edited by PhinFan52 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group