Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

PhiCelek87 Mock Offseason 2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: PhiCelek87 Mock Offseason 2.0 Reply with quote

Going for realism – two year rebuild, lots of holes – looking for volume in free agency and quality in the draft…

Head Coach – Rick Dennison – currently Houston OC

Offensive Coordinator – Jeremy Bates – currently Chicago QB Coach

Defensive Coordinator – Ken Norton Jr. – currently Seahawks LB Coach

Cap Space leading into 2013 - -13.675825

FA/Cuts
QB. M. Vick (+17.9)
OT. D. Bell (+9.6)
OT. K. Dunlap
OC. D. Reynolds (+.4Cool
OC. M. Tennant (+.63)
CB. N. Asomugha (+15.3)
S. C. Anderson
WR. J. Avant (+2.7)
DT. C. Jenkins (+5.5)
CB. D. Rodgers-Cromartie

Cap Space After Cuts in 2013 - +39.434175

Restructure
OT. J. Peters (+3)

Cap Space After Restructure in 2013 - +42.934175

Resign:
OLB. A. Jordan 2yrs/$2 million (2013 -$1)
LS. J. Dorenbos 1yr/$950K (2013-$.95)

Cap Space Remaining in 2013 - $40.984175

Trades:
WR. Jeremy Maclin to Cleveland for 2013 4th Rnd Selection (+2.953)

-Maclin’s development has stagnated here and the Eagles and Maclin may do well to have a fresh start all around. Maclin provides Weeden and the Browns a weapon to take advantage underneath when Gordon takes the top off the defense.

Trades 2013 4th Rnd Selection (102) to Seattle for QB. Matt Flynn (-$7.25)

-Flynn was beaten out by rookie Russell Wilson in Seattle and has a sizeable salary that the Hawks may not want to carry for a back-up QB. Flynn is schooled in the west coast principals and will provide the Eagles with competition for Foles and a chance to get a look at another NFL-ready passer as opposed to expending a high pick on a player that they do not love, which could set the franchise back (I.E. Blaine Gabbert – Jacksonville).

Total Cap Entering Free Agency: $36.687175

Free Agent Signings:

Allow me to preface my free agency signings with this thought – the last time I did a mock, one of the main criticisms I caught was that I went crazy in FA, signing too many players. However, with the sheer number of holes on the team and the number of players cut and allowed to walk, I think the number of players signed makes sense. Lot of roster turnover this season and a lot of players would get the opportunities here that they would not get elsewhere.

Further, I am striving for realism – I am not going to sign 3 of the top 5 free agents – not going to happen.

SS. William Moore – 4yrs/$28 million (-$8.5 mil) – Moore is a rangy playmaker with a big body who can deliver a big hit. In the defense being installed by Ken Norton Jr., Moore will allow Nate Allen to play center field most of the time – a role he is much more suited for an instantly upgrades the back-end of the defense by virtue of his presence and a shift in roles for Nate. (Comps – Rolle 5/37, Mikell 4/27)

CB. Dunta Robinson – 1yr/$4.6 million (-$4.6 mil) - While not a free agent, the Falcons almost certainly will not pay him his salary (approximately $8 million for 2013) as he started the year as a nickel corner. Robinson is one of the more physical corners in the game and thus, suits the defense in the mold of Seattle’s being installed by Norton Jr. One year low-risk high reward contract. (Comps – One year deals of Carlos Rogers, Nate Clements)

WR. Ranses Barden - 1 yr/$3.8 million (-$3.8 million) – Barden is an impressive, big receiver, who when called upon this year caught the ball extremely well and showed terrific body control. A small school wide receiver, it has taken him some time to adjust to the pro game. His signing is a prove-it deal – a little extra money on top because of the amount of wide receiver needy teams out there.

CB. Bradley Fletcher 1 yr/$2.1 million (-$2.1 million) – Fletcher is a bigger corner, who is currently operating as the Rams nickel corner with Finnegan and high-profile rookie Jenkins starting. Fletcher is a big corner, who could succeed in a change of scenery and scheme more suited to his talents like Norton’s. Low-risk, high reward signing – will compete for a starting job and has shown he can play in nickel situations so at minimum, provides valuable depth.

DT. Sammie Lee Hill 2 yrs/$3 million (-$1.5 million) – Hill steps away from a crowded depth chart in Detroit and into a role in Philadelphia that suits his big body. He becomes a starting defensive tackle provided he can hold the role and given his past production in spurts – he most likely will.

OG. Antoine Caldwell – 2 yrs/2.1 (-$1.05) – Caldwell is familiar with the zone blocking scheme being implemented by Dennison from his time in Houston, has experience in-game and provides valuable depth to a weak position group.

DT. Ron Brace - 1yr/$950K (-.95 million) – Brace has been a disappointment for New England at nose tackle and as a 3-4 end, but sometimes a change of scenery can benefit a player. A sizeable man Brace can occupy blockers and can, at minimum, provide depth in this transition year for the defense.

WR. Brandon Tate 1 yr/$950K (-.95) – Tate comes in and provides an alternative to Boykin in the kick return game. Tate has returned kicks for TDs and will allow Boykin, who has been a disappointment in the return game, to focus on becoming a better, more complete corner.

LB. Brandon Johnson 2 yr/$2.2 million (1.1 million) – Johnson has been around the league and is well know as a coverage linebacker, he will compete for the third linebacking spot – the WILL position – in this defense and provide and alternative to Kendricks and/or Ryans in nickel situations.

Spent – $20.437175 – Total Remaining - $16.26 million

NFL Draft

1(4). LT. Luke Joeckel – Texas A&M

-Joeckel is the consensus franchise tackle in this draft and the Eagles offensive line woes and injury concerns make this pick a no-brainer. Joeckel excels in both the run game and as a pass blocker displaying excellent feet, the ability to anchor and strength. Joeckel could slide in from day one at either left tackle or right tackle depending on Peters.

2(36) – CB. David Amerson – NC State

-Amerson adds to the retooled cornerback spot bringing size and cover skills to a defense that requires those attributes of their corners. Amerson also has top intangibles, is an excellent worker and strives to improve – bringing it every day on the practice field. Amerson would compete with Bradley Fletcher from day one for time in the defense.

3(70). – C/G. K. Holmes – USC

-Holmes has the skillset to play either center or guard at the next level and will learn both positions as he pushes Kelce and Mathis (and Watkins) at center and guard respectively. Holmes is quick off the snap and shows excellent push in the run game, which will allow him to excel in the Eagles new offense.

4(102) – Traded for QB. Matt Flynn

4(105) – From Cle (Maclin) – DT. Brandon Williams – Missouri Southern State

Williams is a small-school standout who was versatile enough to play all along the defensive line and be productive. Williams has extraordinary intangibles and big time motor, he plays with leverage and power and has shown a unique blend of pass rushing burst coupled with being a standout run defender. He is quite raw as tends to be the case with players from smaller schools, but he can be coached up into a potentially dominating defensive lineman.

5(134) – TE. Chris Gragg - Arkansas

Gragg is an athletic option at tight end, who possesses good hands and provides a unique skillset. Gragg is on the smallish side so principally he would work as an H-Back or in slot role similar to how the Texans utilize James Casey (maybe even giving him some reps at fullback).

6(166) – WR. Marcus Davis – Virginia Tech

Davis combines great size and speed, but has been inconsistent and needs work in several areas of his game including his route running. Davis would come in as a low pressure draft pick and be allowed to work on these aspects of him game and could turn into a lower round steal.

6(193) – Denver (Bunkley) – DE. Quanterus Smith – Western Kentucky

Smith is an undersized pass rusher coming off a late season ACL injury, but prior to that injury his explosiveness was well-documented and was leading to one of the more impressive and leading sack campaigns in the NCAA. As the Seahawks proved last year with Bruce Irvin, when utilized properly guys like Smith can put their hand on the ground and rush the passer. Smith may end up being a long-term investment as the Eagles may not get a ton out of him in 2013, at least at the start of the season, but Smith could make a huge impact at least as situational pass rusher.

7(221) – Indianapolis (Fokou/Thomas) – FS.
Bradley McDougald – Kansas

QB Foles/Flynn/Edwards
RB McCoy/Brown/Lewis/Polk
FB Havili/
WR Jackson/Johnson/Tate
WR Barden/Cooper/Davis
SLOT Johnson
TE Celek//Gragg/Harbor
LT Peters/Jockel
LG Mathis/Caldwell/Watkins
C Kelce/Holmes
RG Herremans/Caldwell/Watkins
RT Joeckel/Herremans/Kelly

Offensively, the Eagles have hedged their bets at QB with Flynn joining Foles. It is a contrast in styles as Foles is a bigger pocket passer (albeit with underrated feet) with a better arm and Flynn is more of a timing, rthym passer without a big arm, but a bit more mobility than Foles. The Eagles get to look at the two passers and see whether either is worthy of making a long-term commitment to. If the Eagles decide neither is the answer they can get their QB in 2014 when the crop is a bit more talented.

Eagles will build a gameplan around the play pass (and actually emphasize the run, in doing so). McCoy will get plenty of touches with Brown working in, as long as the fumbling problems get contained. I would probably say 15 carries for McCoy plus some touches in the passing game with 12-15 for Brown and only an occasional look in the passing game.

Barden provides a big target, who can play possession receiver and exploit the middle of the field while Jackson mostly works deep and stretches the defense. Look for Cooper and Johnson to also compete at that spot if Barden busts. Barden also provides a giant threat in the redzone – might even consider subbing out Jackson for Cooper and Barden around the goal line. Tate is brought primarily as a kick return man, who can help upgrade the special teams unit.

Gragg comes in and competes with Harbor – may keep all three or only two. Gragg will also see sometime in a H-Back role like James Casey in Houston. Celek sticks around as solid, if unspectacular starting option. Good work ethic, willing player and good locker room guy.

The drafting of Joeckel and Holmes takes the offensive line from a position of weakness to a position of strength with good depth. If everyone returns healthy the line has the potential to be one of the better units in the league. There will be a lot of competition in the interior with Kelce, Holmes, Mathis, Watkins and Caldwell all competing for time at two positions.

DE Cox/Cole
DT S. Hill/Brace/Patterson
NT Thornton/Williams
LEO Cole/Graham/Curry/Hunt/Smith
SAM Kendricks/Jordan/
MIKE Ryans/Chaney/Matthews
WILL Jordan/Johnson/Chaney
CB Robinson /Marsh
CB Fletcher/Amerson
NICKEL Boykin/
FS Allen/Sims/McDougald
SS Moore/Coleman

NICKEL DL
DE. Cole/Curry
DT. Cox
DT. Thornton
DE. Graham/Hunt

The defense is admittedly a work in progress with competition all over. Cole and Cox will be the centerpieces of the defensive line moving all over the place with Cole playing some at the LEO end position and some in tighter at the other DE spot. Cox will see time at defensive end and tackle in this defense. Graham will play second most to Cole at DE unless Curry pushes him out and will see time in pass rush situations and on some run downs at LEO. Sammie Lee Hill will originally be counted on at DT, but big Ron Brace could find his game in this defense and push him out and Patterson will also get some looks at both of the interior positions.

At the linebacker, the Eagles brought in Brandon Johnson to push Chaney and Jordan at that spot. Johnson is a superior cover linebacker and has experience in both 4-3 and 3-4 settings, which will help in what is unique defensive scheme. While not necessarily a huge upgrade at the spot, at minimum, competition may bring out the best in all three.

At corner, Robinson will lock down one spot and the other will be up for grabs with the newcomer Fletcher on an one-year prove it contract, Curtis Marsh (who I hope we see more of later in the season) and rookie David Amerson competing. Ideally, Amerson would grab the role and run with it. Boykin could also be in the mix out wide and slide into the slot on three-wide situations if he proves capable.

Safety will be a set position after free agency with William Moore and Nate Allen starting there. McDougald will push for the roster spot of Sims and Coleman.

2014 –

In 2014, the Eagles will likely know whether they have their QB of the future on the roster, either Flynn or Foles would have flashed enough at this point or else we would be picking in the top end of the draft. If the quarterback position is still a need Aaron Murray and Tyler Bray will likely be among the first QBs selected in 2014 and that crop is much brighter than what’s available at the top end this year.

If Flynn or Foles turns in a good enough performance the Eagles can turn towards the defensive side – likely securing any position of need with either a corner or lineman, as needed. Possibly even a wide receiver should no one step up opposite Jackson.

The idea behind this offseason is to make minimal commitments beyond Moore and the 2013 draft class and take a look at a number of players, who either have not been granted the opportunity or may have been miscast in another system and try to coach them up. The volume of FA signings is designed to get as many guys in as possible to create competition at spots, to improve depth across the roster and to find some keepers amongst the lot - I.E. what Grigson did with the Colts (high volume, high turnover).

In 2013, the Eagles cannot expect all their moves to pan out – too many holes – the key will be filling some in 2013 and then filling out the remainder in 2014.
thebriguy90

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost all interest after seeing you let go of DRC. while i feel like they won't keep both him and asomugha for the price that it would cost, at least one will still be here. and if asomugha takes a pay cut, then both. a lot of the problems our corners are having are all on the safeties lack of helping them
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebriguy90 wrote:
lost all interest after seeing you let go of DRC. while i feel like they won't keep both him and asomugha for the price that it would cost, at least one will still be here. and if asomugha takes a pay cut, then both. a lot of the problems our corners are having are all on the safeties lack of helping them

The reason for letting them go is twofold - first of all, I doubt Nmandi takes the paycut to be a part of the rebuild - if we were a contender and he was having a couple of down seasons I could see him restructuring. I don't think he'll restructure to come back to a team with little championship hopes in 2013.

As to DRC, his lack of physicality does not fit the scheme and he's going to want more money than he's worth IMO. I am more concerned with finding players that fit what the defense would run than anything and I think DRC does not fit this defense at all.

But thanks for the feedback - I had a tough time doing it, but I can't justify bringing DRC back on a multi-year deal to a system that does not fit.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT a very Big fan. FA is okay, but im NOT a huge fan of the draft

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

Would like to hear just what you don't like about the draft - when you get a chance.

Thought it was pretty good - value-wise.
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a draft expert so I'll stick to the organizational/free agency aspects.

I like the coaching staff, but I'd be interested into hearing why you feel they would come together. Do they have some sort of connection in the past? Is there any personal indication that these guys would want to get together and turn this ship around?

Often times, but not always a coach would bring familiar pieces around him.

Quality coaches, not sure how they'd fit together.
That doesn't mean I don't think they can't work together, though.

I'm not a big proponent of free agency, but I'm not going to say you are wrong for utilizing it.
I just cringe at the thought of all these 1-year contracts and bandages. It smells like 2011.

I personally would ease up on the free agents and let the young guys play. Even if it means we put some bad players on the field. We need to develop our own players.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like any of our guys as a LEO. I think that would be a priority position to fill if we go in that direction as a defense.

No interest in taking a right tackle top 5, that is just stupid.

You trade away Maclin for nothing and then make no effort to replace him. Ramses Barden sucks.

Amerson is probably a free safety at the next level.

No interest in Matt Flynn he makes a lot of money for someone that couldnt beat out a rookie third rounder.

All around I would kind of hate this offseason.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
RainbowCarebear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiCelek87 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Would like to hear just what you don't like about the draft - when you get a chance.

Thought it was pretty good - value-wise.

Σn the phone Will dσ when im home

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have a Dane"
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
I'm not a draft expert so I'll stick to the organizational/free agency aspects.

I like the coaching staff, but I'd be interested into hearing why you feel they would come together. Do they have some sort of connection in the past? Is there any personal indication that these guys would want to get together and turn this ship around?

Often times, but not always a coach would bring familiar pieces around him.

Quality coaches, not sure how they'd fit together.
That doesn't mean I don't think they can't work together, though.

I'm not a big proponent of free agency, but I'm not going to say you are wrong for utilizing it.
I just cringe at the thought of all these 1-year contracts and bandages. It smells like 2011.

I personally would ease up on the free agents and let the young guys play. Even if it means we put some bad players on the field. We need to develop our own players.

Dennison worked with Bates under Shannahan - Bates worked with Norton in Seattle
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
I don't really like any of our guys as a LEO. I think that would be a priority position to fill if we go in that direction as a defense.

You trade away Maclin for nothing and then make no effort to replace him. Ramses Barden sucks.

No interest in Matt Flynn he makes a lot of money for someone that couldnt beat out a rookie third rounder.

Joeckel and Peters are basically interchangeable - Joeckel could play left and will eventually end up at left. If it changes the mock all that much...

Maclin is not that great of a player to begin with - always hurt, really lacks an elite quality. Barden gives you size and in his one chance to shine was very impresisve against the Panthers.

Amerson fits the mold of bigger corner that the defense requires. I respectfully disagree with your assessment that he's a free safety at this level.

Wilson was the golden child in Seattle from the moment they drafted him, he was going to be the starter. Flynn is worth a look IMO, but I could see your reservations there.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiCelek87 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Joeckel and Peters are basically interchangeable - Joeckel could play left and will eventually end up at left. If it changes the mock all that much...

Maclin is not that great of a player to begin with - always hurt, really lacks an elite quality. Barden gives you size and in his one chance to shine was very impresisve against the Panthers.

Amerson fits the mold of bigger corner that the defense requires. I respectfully disagree with your assessment that he's a free safety at this level.

Wilson was the golden child in Seattle from the moment they drafted him, he was going to be the starter. Flynn is worth a look IMO, but I could see your reservations there.

Well the idea is we already have a franchise LT why waste a high resource on something that isn't that valuable?

Especially when you could trade luke joeckel's to arizona or the rams and then pick up more selections and draft a receiver.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
PhiCelek87 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Well the idea is we already have a franchise LT why waste a high resource on something that isn't that valuable?

Especially when you could trade luke joeckel's to arizona or the rams and then pick up more selections and draft a receiver.

Well, our franchise LT is coming off two Achillies injuries and is certainly anything but a sure thing. This solidifies the line - makes it an excellent line with Peters, without Peters still solid.

A wide receiver is meaningless if you cannot protect the quarterback to get him the ball. And the wide receivers in this draft Allen, Williams, Hopkins are not consensus great players - it's not a particularly great draft at that spot.

You already have Jackson in the fold and I'd bet that one of the three - Barden, Cooper, Johnson - could emerge as a viable #2 for a season. Maclin is nothing special and trading him now let's you get something for him when you were going to allow him to walk at the end of the season anyway.

I understand the argument for trading back, but I just believe when you have the shot at an elite talent, you have to take it. By all acounts, Joeckel is a franchise left tackle and I think you have to get the elite talent into the fold.
PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:

Just to follow up - it's also not a given that either of these teams trade up - what if the Dolphins let Long walk in FA and one of them signs him or they like one of the other LTs in this deep draft and do not want to expend the cost to move up to the top of the draft.

It's easy to say that we should do that, but there's a number of FA options and mid-first round talent at that spot that those teams could draft and hold onto their picks.

And even then, I'm not sure I want to trade away the rights to a franchise LT, who I can plug in for the next decade.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am OK with the coaches, actually.
Happy to see no Gruden, Cowher or Kelly.

I like Fletcher and Caldwell.
I love Tate.
The rest, meh.
I mean really, Ramses Barden? Pass.
There's absolutely no interest in Matt Flynn, either, unless he's walking the street.

OK with the draft as well.
I don't have a problem with an OT in the 1st as long as he's the best player there.
Holmes and Gragg might be gone where you have them being taken.

Good cap work.
RainbowCarebear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no draft expert, but here goes...

I don't mind Joeckel, he could easily be the best player in the draft, I would prefer a dominate defensive Lineman to an Offensive lineman.

Amerson lacks speed to be a Corner and tackling skills to be a Safety. USC's Oline have been bad this year.

I don't like Flynn. And the rest of the draft is pretty unknown to me.

I don't mind the hirings, wasn't Ken Norton in Seattle before Carroll came? As in he might not want to run this 4-3/3-4 thing they got going on.

I like Sammie Lee Hill, he's a good backup for Detroit and he could be a decent starter here. I like Bradley Fletcher with all the Corners, Rams brought in I would like to sign him. If Atlanta let go of Dunta, why wouldn't they resign Moore? I'm not a huge Dunta fan, but I like moore.

Moore, Hill & Fletcher I like, rest is not my cup of tea.

Hammertime52 wrote:

"We have a Dane"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: