Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gronkowski suffers broken forearm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

I played all 4 years in high school. If my coach had an interview after a game and said yeah we put our backups in and pulled our starters because we don't really care if our backups get hurt, I'd be pissed. Bill handled the situation perfectly, you guys are grasping at straws for attacking that interview.

You're spinning it to fit your agenda. No one is saying coaches "don't care" if backups get hurt. But losing a backup to injury as opposed to a starter is much easier to overcome and compensate for. It's the value to the team's ability to win that places more emphasis and value on a starter. Not to mention an elite starter such as Gronk.

You didn't answer the question I posted either. If BB is correct then why do most other traditional coaches pull their starters from the game when winning big late in the 4th?
You mean like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning against the Saints a few weeks ago?

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OchoCinco says: Child Please - it ain't Bill's fault - You try to take Gronk out of a game even if you're up by 100 points. You tell that big white gorilla that he's got to sit down and he can't spike the ball anymore - tell me how that works out for you.
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Belichick deserved this. He had no business playing starters with a 30 point lead deep in the 4th quarter. Won't hurt too badly but he was destroying Indy. I'm not saying it's a good thing he got injured however, you never want to see a guy get injured.
This has to be the most annoying lingering logical fallacy around the NFL. Injuries are going to happen, period.

Where's the logical fallacy??? Laughing Point it out and name which fallacy it is.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think it was odd that they still had most of the starters in there late in the game up so much and basically dominating the game. Seemed like an unnecessary risk to me at the time. But Gronk breaking his arm on a PAT wasn't exactly one of the concerns i would've thought about.

Sucks for Gronk and for the Pats, but they'll still be okay, they've still got all kinds of weapons and Tom Brady at the helm. If they get him back to the playoffs, all will be well there.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Belichick deserved this. He had no business playing starters with a 30 point lead deep in the 4th quarter. Won't hurt too badly but he was destroying Indy. I'm not saying it's a good thing he got injured however, you never want to see a guy get injured.
This has to be the most annoying lingering logical fallacy around the NFL. Injuries are going to happen, period.

Where's the logical fallacy??? Laughing Point it out and name which fallacy it is.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/post-hoc.html

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
coors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like Gronk has terrible luck when it comes to injuries.. whether it be late in a game that was already put away like yesterday, or late in the season like during the AFC Championship game that ended up affecting him during the Super Bowl like last season.. I feel bad for the guy because he is a really likeable kid, who has out of this world talent. He's super valuable to the Pats.. and going into this year who would have thought that the Pats right now are pretty thin at the TE position after losing Gronk, and Hernandez still injured. They are lucky (or smart) by bulking up their TEs this off season with Fells, Shiancoe, and Uh-Oh and I'm sure I am forgetting someone.. but this off season there were a ton of people saying that the Pats were stockpiling TEs for no reason or the bla bla "what are they doing??!!!?" bla bla, and look at them now, they ended up needing them.. and their team is still better than their favorite teams. Lol, I love the random haters who call out a team for no good reason. My hats off to the Pats..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:

I don't get where I made this error. My point was that injuries happen in every NFL game, it is impossible to overcome 30 points in 1 quarter, why put your stars at greater risk of injury when you have the game in hand and you can give your backups in to gain gametime experience?
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:

I don't get where I made this error. My point was that injuries happen in every NFL game, it is impossible to overcome 30 points in 1 quarter, why put your stars at greater risk of injury when you have the game in hand and you can give your backups in to gain gametime experience?

What happens if Gronk's replacement on the XP lets his man by, due to inexperience, and he dives into Gostkowski's leg ?? Then the questions come in about "why was the inexperienced player in there ?? blah blah blah"

My point....hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 and it's much easier to hop on your high horse and judge when you know what happens. All fans are undefeated coaching from their couch and never have to answer for their fantasy moves they WOULD make if they were in the position to do so. Fact is...you're in no position to question the man. Period.

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
you're in no position to question the man. Period.

Laughing I've never understood this train of thought.

Fans can't question NFL coaches? Why not? Just because someone sees the outcome, doesn't mean their decision is influenced by it.

We just have to say "Well he's the coach, he must be right." It makes no sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Fans can't question NFL coaches? Why not?

We just have to say "Well he's the coach, he must be right."

Do you walk in his shoes ?? Do you have any concept whatsoever about what his responsibilities are ?? What his relationships are with certain players ??

Essentially, you don't have a clue but feel an obligation to question ?? That about sums up us Americans as a whole Laughing

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Do you walk in his shoes ?? Do you have any concept whatsoever about what his responsibilities are ?? What his relationships are with certain players ??

Essentially, you don't have a clue but feel an obligation to question ?? That about sums about Americans as a whole Laughing

So you've never questioned a coaches decision then?

That makes you a pretty poor fan, IMO.

I don't even feel strongly that Gronk should've been benched, I've been playing devil's advocate so far, but this idea that fans can't question coaches is just, wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

Essentially, you don't have a clue but feel an obligation to question ?? That about sums about Americans as a whole Laughing

So you've never questioned a coaches decision then?

That makes you a pretty poor fan, IMO.

I don't even feel strongly that Gronk should've been benched, I've been playing devil's advocate so far, but this idea that fans can't question coaches is just, wrong.

I'll never question personnel moves, no....especially when an injury is involved. They happen, regardless of who's on the field, and they eventually get everyone. You have to line up 11 guys on every play.

bbllstr22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:

What happens if Gronk's replacement on the XP lets his man by, due to inexperience, and he dives into Gostkowski's leg ?? Then the questions come in about "why was the inexperienced player in there ?? blah blah blah"

My point....hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20 and it's much easier to hop on your high horse and judge when you know what happens. All fans are undefeated coaching from their couch and never have to answer for their fantasy moves they WOULD make if they were in the position to do so. Fact is...you're in no position to question the man. Period.

I apologize. Who am I to question the great Belichick? Laughing Wouldn't your last paragraph make this forum moot?
Sure, 20/20, blahblahblah, my point is that I didn't make a logical fallacy. I don't really care if people think Coach B is smart for putting key players in late in a blowout.
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
You mean like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning against the Saints a few weeks ago?

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

Errm. Osweiler finished that game. Laughing Laughing

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

Errm. Osweiler finished that game. Laughing Laughing

Mallett finished this one. His point was about still being in when the outcome was well in hand.*

*-assuming you trust this defense to not make all kinds of bad history, which I don't.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: