Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gronkowski suffers broken forearm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
You mean like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning against the Saints a few weeks ago?

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

Errm. Osweiler finished that game. Laughing Laughing

Mallett finished this one. His point was about still being in when the outcome was well in hand.*

*-assuming you trust this defense to not make all kinds of bad history, which I don't.

Pats were up by 35 points and there was 3:55 when the starters left the game. Broncos were up by 27 points and there was 5:27 seconds left in the game.

And had the Broncos suffered a significant injury John Fox would be facing the same questions. Difference is the Pats have a history of keeping the starters in during blowouts and for once it came back to bite them in the rear. Whether it affects their season remains to be seen.

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
You mean like the Broncos did with Peyton Manning against the Saints a few weeks ago?

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

Mallett finished this one. His point was about still being in when the outcome was well in hand.*

*-assuming you trust this defense to not make all kinds of bad history, which I don't.

Pats were up by 35 points and there was 3:55 when the starters left the game. Broncos were up by 27 points and there was 5:27 seconds left in the game.

And had the Broncos suffered a significant injury John Fox would be facing the same questions. Difference is the Pats have a history of keeping the starters in during blowouts and for once it came back to bite them in the rear. Whether it affects their season remains to be seen.

Every play but one of their last 8 was a run with an RB that doesn't start. Their last throw was to convert a third and long with about 4-5 minutes left. It's been done to death, but Gronk was hurt on a PAT. It was a freak accident. Nothing to do with any sort of classlessness.

Brees was still throwing up by loads on the same day. People just like to perpetuate this myth that the Pats are somehow classless.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 31 Yards: 409 TDs: 4
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hernandez should be back soon though

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't college where you have 100 players standing on the sideline. Johnny P. Walkon isn't waiting to fill in a spot on the FG team. Teams usually activate what, 7 offensive linemen for a game? There's no real "2 deep" in pro football.

Injuries happened. Nobody "deserved" this.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:

And my fantasy teams await his arrival.

If the Pats make the playoffs, Gronk will make his appearance at some point I feel.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

If the Pats make the playoffs, Gronk will make his appearance at some point I feel.
They're 3 games up in the division with 6 to play.
They'll make the playoffs.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
This isn't college where you have 100 players standing on the sideline. Johnny P. Walkon isn't waiting to fill in a spot on the FG team. Teams usually activate what, 7 offensive linemen for a game? There's no real "2 deep" in pro football.

While I do agree, the Pats have Fells, Shiancoe and that Hawaiian guy on their roster at TE, not really a reason Gronk needs to be on any ST and I'm sure after this that was probably the last ST play in his career.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:

Not sure who said they "deserved" it. Certainly not what I am saying. More along the lines of you live by the sword you die by the sword. Eventually they were going to suffer a major injury like this in garbage time and BB has to deal with the critics.

Sure most teams only dress 7 lineman or so. But the Pats had 3 TE's dressed on Sunday as well. Had Gronk gotten hurt in the 2nd quarter are you telling me none of those backup TE's can substitute for his position on the PAT team?

Look I understand that when up big in the 4th you cannot take out all your starters. There aren't enough backups dressed for that. But you take out the most essential guys. Gronk is a big piece of the Pats offense and his loss is going to sting especially with the SF, Houston games coming up. If it had been Brady who suffered a significant injury on that 58th point would Pat fans still be defending BB?

"Sundown, you better take care... if I find you been creepin' round my back stairs"
Donut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
It seems like Gronk has terrible luck when it comes to injuries.. whether it be late in a game that was already put away like yesterday, or late in the season like during the AFC Championship game that ended up affecting him during the Super Bowl like last season.. I feel bad for the guy because he is a really likeable kid, who has out of this world talent. He's super valuable to the Pats.. and going into this year who would have thought that the Pats right now are pretty thin at the TE position after losing Gronk, and Hernandez still injured. They are lucky (or smart) by bulking up their TEs this off season with Fells, Shiancoe, and Uh-Oh and I'm sure I am forgetting someone.. but this off season there were a ton of people saying that the Pats were stockpiling TEs for no reason or the bla bla "what are they doing??!!!?" bla bla, and look at them now, they ended up needing them.. and their team is still better than their favorite teams. Lol, I love the random haters who call out a team for no good reason. My hats off to the Pats..

We had Winslow but released him and put Ballard on IR.
Packerraymond wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:

While I do agree, the Pats have Fells, Shiancoe and that Hawaiian guy on their roster at TE, not really a reason Gronk needs to be on any ST and I'm sure after this that was probably the last ST play in his career.

None of those 3 are consistently healthy or active. Gronk is also a superior blocker. If we hve to kick a 50 yard FG I want Gronk blocking for Gost. Its a freak injury. When is the last time someone got hurt on a PAT blocking?
I'd rather have the best players on that unit not some scrub and risk a blocked FG in a big moment because a lesser player messes up a block Gronk does correctly. Brady got injured because we had a lesser RB in vs Chiefs in 2008. Rather not repeat that and have Gost injured.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

They're 3 games up in the division with 6 to play.
They'll make the playoffs.

No doubt - The 2008 Broncos

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes because Jay Culter and Mike Shanny are Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
you're in no position to question the man. Period.

Laughing I've never understood this train of thought.

Fans can't question NFL coaches? Why not?

We just have to say "Well he's the coach, he must be right."

Do you walk in his shoes ?? Do you have any concept whatsoever about what his responsibilities are ?? What his relationships are with certain players ??

Essentially, you don't have a clue but feel an obligation to question ?? That about sums about Americans as a whole Laughing

So you've never questioned a coaches decision then?

That makes you a pretty poor fan, IMO.

I don't even feel strongly that Gronk should've been benched, I've been playing devil's advocate so far, but this idea that fans can't question coaches is just, wrong.

I'll never question personnel moves, no....especially when an injury is involved. They happen, regardless of who's on the field, and they eventually get everyone. You have to line up 11 guys on every play.

I'm not questioning BB on his choice to play Gronk, I made that perfectly clear. I'm questioning your statement that fans can't question coaches because we've never been in their shoes.

By your logic, you should never question a coach for anything. If you have, you're a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Oh, right. Rolling Eyes

He was hurt on a freak accident. If he broke his arm on the first PAT every one would be questioning why is he even on ST? Well I would assume a vast majority of people didn't even really realize he was blocking on ST.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOVA333 wrote:

He was hurt on a freak accident. If he broke his arm on the first PAT every one would be questioning why is he even on ST? Well I would assume a vast majority of people didn't even really realize he was blocking on ST.

Honestly I think they would. ANd you are correct on local sports talk radio alot of people were calling in asking why he's on the PAT period. Nobody really even looks to see who's out their on a PAT so it was kind of a shock to most of the casual fanbase.

I actually don't have an issue with him being on the PAT team at all. My issue is with having essential starters in that late in a game when you are up by 30+ points. Like you said it's a freak injury but that's exactly the reason why coaches pull essential starters in those circumstances because you just never know when someone is going to get hurt. And it's not worth the risk of injury to leave those important players in when the opposing team has essentially zero chance of coming back. Hence why most traditional coaches do pull their starters.

Bill has always had this approach of leaving his players in during blowouts and prior to this injury to Gronk it hasn't really been an issue. But we all knew eventually it was going to come back to bite them and it did. Possibly could cost them a home playoff game. It's a costly loss for what seems like such an insignificant score.

Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Reiss (ESPN Boston) made an interesting point today. The Pats also use their entire starting OL on the field goal team. So if people want the Pats to replace all of their starters, then that's at least 6 of the 8 non-snapping blockers that the Pats would have to replace late in games when they're up big.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4734801/patriots-starters-on-special-teams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: