Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gronkowski suffers broken forearm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
The point is.....INJURIES HAPPEN and you never know when or to whom they're going to occur.
Yeah.... Which is why you don't play your star players when the outcome is no longer in question.

The rate of injury on any given play is [x]. For each snap that a player plays, his risk of injury increases 1x. If you can play a player for 30 snaps, and place his risk of injury at 30x without changing your chances of winning, why would you play them 40 plays or even 31, and raise their risk to 40x or 31x, respectively? You never know when they're going to strike, but by limiting opportunities, you reduce the risk.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:
The point is.....INJURIES HAPPEN and you never know when or to whom they're going to occur.
Yeah.... Which is why you don't play your star players when the outcome is no longer in question.

The rate of injury on any given play is [x]. For each snap that a player plays, his risk of injury increases 1x. If you can play a player for 30 snaps, and place his risk of injury at 30x without changing your chances of winning, why would you play them 40 plays or even 31, and raise their risk to 40x or 31x, respectively? You never know when they're going to strike, but by limiting opportunities, you reduce the risk.

I'm just glad these guys aren't in Risk Management for those Fortune 500 companies.
WesWelker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who is smarter? Posters on footballs future, or the greatest head coach of all time? I am leading towards the latter for some reason.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try putting it this way: a team can only dress 46 guys at over a dozen positions. Most teams go in with 7/8 OL and 2/3 TEs, and you need 8 of them on the PAT unit. 8 people out of a group of (at most) 11 which includes 7 starters means at least 4 starters have to be out there. Now, the Pats had three injured OLs already (Mankins, Connoly were inactive and Vollmer was hurt in-game), but are getting deeper at TE (Aaron was coming back, Shiancoe is getting fit), so it was really the only option.

That added to the fact it was total freak injury means this should really be put to bed.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 53 Yards: 734 TDs: 9
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesWelker wrote:
I wonder who is smarter? Posters on footballs future, or the greatest head coach of all time? I am leading towards the latter for some reason.

What does Vince Lombardi have to do with this?

Someone needs to explain how it was a good idea for Gronk to be in the game at that point. Until then, it's still, obviously, an awful decision.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
WesWelker wrote:

Someone needs to explain how it was a good idea for Gronk to be in the game at that point. Until then, it's still, obviously, an awful decision.

That's cute. Look at the post above you. He wins.
FirstDownFaulk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
WesWelker wrote:

It's not a matter of whether or not it was a good decision based on an outcome we all know. The chance of injury is less than a chance of a blown assignment by a backup....that's the point. As I've said a hundred times already, hindsight is 20/20 and we all KNOW that he was injured on the play, but you can't play this game with assumptions that players are going to get hurt.

He was in there because he's the best man for the job. Period. Question the decision all you want but you're in no position to do so.

Shockey1979

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FirstDownFaulk wrote:

He was in there because he's the best man for the job. Period. Question the decision all you want but you're in no position to do so.

So why do most traditional coaches pull their essential players when up that big late in games? Obviously the starters are always going to be the "best man for the job" since they are...you know...the starters. Why ever pull them at all?

"A lion roars in the darkness only he holds the key, a light to free me from my burden and grant me life eternally"
mco65

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
FirstDownFaulk wrote:

So why do most traditional coaches pull their essential players when up that big late in games? Obviously the starters are always going to be the "best man for the job" since they are...you know...the starters. Why ever pull them at all?

uh..
so they DON'T GET INJURED during MEANINGLESS times of the game?

If Gronk had been injured catching a TD pass this late in the game I could see the gripe but he was injured on a PAT.. something BB probably never even 2nd guessed him being in the game.. he is ALWAYS on the PAT team..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: