Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gronk Breaks Forearm, Estimated 4-6 Week Recovery Timetable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23148
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?


You can't forfeit the PAT.

Quote:
Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.


He's part of the FG team. Why? Because he can block on the edge. Other than TE's, FB's and the odd LB, who else is going to do that? Blocking on the FG team is important. It's a fluke play. Sometimes these things happen.

Quote:
It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


If it's one in a million and the odds rise on each TD, it's still a miniscule chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23148
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
TheSphinx wrote:
If he did get injured in the fourth, am I the only one wondering why he was even in there when you are beating a team by a bazillion points. The Pats went up by 28 points within the first 30 seconds of the 4th quarter. At that point it is probably not a bad idea to sit some of your starters and just burn the clock. The Colts did score again but the Pats went back up by 28 with something like 10mins on the clock. I know the Pats are known for playing until the final whistle and they haven't been hit with a serious injury during garbage time but this should be a little reminder to them that taking some precautions with players isn't a bad idea.

-TS


Uh, Wes Welker? Research what you're talking about, please.


Furthermore, Gronk was pulled from offense at the end of the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheSphinx


Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 595
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Brown wrote:
TheSphinx wrote:
If he did get injured in the fourth, am I the only one wondering why he was even in there when you are beating a team by a bazillion points. The Pats went up by 28 points within the first 30 seconds of the 4th quarter. At that point it is probably not a bad idea to sit some of your starters and just burn the clock. The Colts did score again but the Pats went back up by 28 with something like 10mins on the clock. I know the Pats are known for playing until the final whistle and they haven't been hit with a serious injury during garbage time but this should be a little reminder to them that taking some precautions with players isn't a bad idea.

-TS


Uh, Wes Welker? Research what you're talking about, please.


Wes Welker blew out his knee in the first quarter of a game. Granted it was a week 17 game, but given that they had to play the next week one can see why you want to keep your guys going at full speed to keep them in rhythm for the next week which is a playoff game. That one was debatable and people can argue either way. Some teams play their starters for a part of the game (a series or so) and some play them for a half while some don't play them at all. I would say rest them but some coaches play them. This one was much less debatable in my opinion. There really doesn't seem to be a good reason to have the starters in there at that point...

-TS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 21347
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad NBT want Wob Gwonk healfy! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Weth Welka and Bwandin Loyd not enuf! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
_________________
http://i61.tinypic.com/2d27zep.jpg
^credit to whoever made it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23148
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone posted this:

Quote:
"I don't think that's really a good way to approach a team. I've never done that. I don't think that would be a very successful approach to it," said Belichick. "You only have so many players. You only dress so many players. Somebody's got to play. I think you've got to be careful when you're trying to run a team, to go up to one guy and say, 'Michael, we're going to leave you in the game because we care about you, but Glenn, we're going to take you out because you're really important. You other guys go in there because if something happens to you, we don't really care.'"


Or this

Quote:
Speaking as a Patriots fan, I personally think this is a great time to give Ryan Mallett some valuable NFL experience. Bill Belichick disagrees. But is he the only coach who would dare risk his quarterback's health just so he could "run up the score" that late in the game, with such a big lead? Or is he just the only coach who gets criticized for such things?
In Week 4, John Fox still had Peyton Manning on the field in the fourth quarter with a 28-point lead, and Manning was still throwing from a shotgun set with 5:58 left in the game.
In Week 6, Mike McCarthy still had Aaron Rodgers on the field in the fourth quarter with a 25-point lead, and Rodgers was still throwing from a shotgun set with 5:39 left in the game.
In Week 10, Pete Carroll still had Russell Wilson on the field in the fourth quarter with a 21-point lead. That's smaller than the 28-point lead the Patriots had, but Wilson was still in the game in the last two minutes, in the shotgun and passing the ball on fourth-and-3.
Just yesterday, both Drew Brees and Robert Griffin were still in the game late in the fourth quarter. Brees was still passing the ball with a 28-point lead and six minutes left. Griffin was still passing the ball with a 25-point lead and five minutes left.


http://deadspin.com/5961892/dear-insane-patriots-haters-its-not-bill-belichicks-fault-that-rob-gronkowski-broke-his-arm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duke2056


Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 8250
Location: Cleveland area
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?

Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.

It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


With that hindsight, BB probably should have sat Brady against KC on 08.


are you serious??

It doesnt take hindsight to know not to use Gronk to block on XPs.
_________________
2014 draft prediction:

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duke2056


Joined: 21 Feb 2005
Posts: 8250
Location: Cleveland area
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?


You can't forfeit the PAT.

Quote:
Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.


He's part of the FG team. Why? Because he can block on the edge. Other than TE's, FB's and the odd LB, who else is going to do that? Blocking on the FG team is important. It's a fluke play. Sometimes these things happen.

Quote:
It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


If it's one in a million and the odds rise on each TD, it's still a miniscule chance.



Umm, duh, I know you cant FF the XP. Apparently the slight sarcasm there slipped by you.

He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.

Thanks you captain oddsmaker, more slight sarcasm you take as compete seriousness.
_________________
2014 draft prediction:

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 46257
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?


You can't forfeit the PAT.

Quote:
Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.


He's part of the FG team. Why? Because he can block on the edge. Other than TE's, FB's and the odd LB, who else is going to do that? Blocking on the FG team is important. It's a fluke play. Sometimes these things happen.

Quote:
It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


If it's one in a million and the odds rise on each TD, it's still a miniscule chance.



Umm, duh, I know you cant FF the XP. Apparently the slight sarcasm there slipped by you.

He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.

Thanks you captain oddsmaker, more slight sarcasm you take as compete seriousness.
There IS no alternate FG unit. Barring injury, it's always going to be the same guys out there, and statistically speaking the PAT is the safest play in football.
This was a freak injury, nothing more, nothing less.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23148
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Nihc wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?

Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.

It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


With that hindsight, BB probably should have sat Brady against KC on 08.


are you serious??

It doesnt take hindsight to know not to use Gronk to block on XPs.


TE's always block on the FG/PAT unit.

Find me a team that doesn't use their TE's (all of them who are are active on game day) on the FG/PAT unit - assuming said TE's have blocking ability (i.e. not the Hernandez/Finley guys).

You don't put WR's or CB's on the wing on a FG formation. Why? Because that leads to blocked kicks and injured kickers. Who do you want on the wing there? Marquise Cole?

Wing players on the FG/PAT unit are almost always FB or TE's. You need guys who can block, can move quickly enough to hold off a speed rush from a CB and who can offer the option of fake FG. There really isn't any way to avoid using your TE's in that role. You know who else plays on PAT/FG units in blow outs? Jimmy Graham, Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Gonzalez.

It's a fluke injury. Sometimes fluke injuries happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23148
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:


He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.


Such as?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NinjaZX6R


Joined: 05 Jun 2011
Posts: 9040
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Mike Vrabel has a similar injury?
_________________
"Let's show some toughness. Yeah...Toughness and go makes some plays"
-Tom Brady
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39499
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Patriots won't be fined for their handling of Gronk injury news. So, there's that.


http://twitter.com/realfreemancbs/statuses/270894303134482434
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nextsuperstar


Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 1708
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
It woulda been better to just forfeit the extra point. Was it really that important??? Hell the spread wasn't in the 20s was it?


You can't forfeit the PAT.

Quote:
Possibly the worst way lose your best non QB player. The dude shouldn't be out there on important XPs, let alone that one.


He's part of the FG team. Why? Because he can block on the edge. Other than TE's, FB's and the odd LB, who else is going to do that? Blocking on the FG team is important. It's a fluke play. Sometimes these things happen.

Quote:
It's a one in a million injury, but when your team scores so dam much those odds go up.


If it's one in a million and the odds rise on each TD, it's still a miniscule chance.



Umm, duh, I know you cant FF the XP. Apparently the slight sarcasm there slipped by you.

He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.

Thanks you captain oddsmaker, more slight sarcasm you take as compete seriousness.
There IS no alternate FG unit. Barring injury, it's always going to be the same guys out there, and statistically speaking the PAT is the safest play in football.
This was a freak injury, nothing more, nothing less.


There is only one FG unit, and I have no problem using that unit in blowouts. Nevertheless, the Patriots carry three to four TEs every week. There is no reason that Gronk needs to block the edge. It could easily be Hoo, Fells, or Shiancoe.

mcmurtry86 wrote:

He's part of the FG team. Why? Because he can block on the edge. Other than TE's, FB's and the odd LB, who else is going to do that? Blocking on the FG team is important. It's a fluke play. Sometimes these things happen.


So Gronk needs to be on that unit? BB has plenty of other TEs on the roster.


Last edited by nextsuperstar on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jofos


Joined: 13 Feb 2009
Posts: 486
Location: alabama
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the Gronk shouldn't be on special teams people: Let's just say that some one else is there, Tracy white for example, and he is not as good of blocker, (he shouldn't be because thats not what he does) its late in the game and the Patriots are down by two. They drive down the field and get to the 20 with three seconds left. FG unit comes on the field to try to win the game. Every team has scouted and knows where the weakness is so they go for the block. Who do you want out there Tracy White, Gronk, or some random guy that gets paid to do something other than block on the edge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nextsuperstar


Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Posts: 1708
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jofos wrote:
For all the Gronk shouldn't be on special teams people: Let's just say that some one else is there, Tracy white for example, and he is not as good of blocker, (he shouldn't be because thats not what he does) its late in the game and the Patriots are down by two. They drive down the field and get to the 20 with three seconds left. FG unit comes on the field to try to win the game. Every team has scouted and knows where the weakness is so they go for the block. Who do you want out there Tracy White, Gronk, or some random guy that gets paid to do something other than block on the edge.


Michael Hoomanawanui, Visanthe Shiancoe, and Fells are not Tracy white. They should be in that unit. 31 other teams do not use Gronk in that spot. This coming week the Patriots will not use Gronk to block there. Gronk is easily replaceable in the FG unit. He is not replaceable in the passing game.


Robert Griffin is fast, but you do not see him charging down the field covering punts and kickoffs. If he was there, maybe the Redskins do not give up a punt return for a touchdown which costs them a game. There are other players, however, who cover kicks because they can also do the job. Its just plain stupid to use elite players on ST units.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group