Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gronk Breaks Forearm, Estimated 4-6 Week Recovery Timetable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.

Such as?

May be Brady....

Seriously this is freak injury, you can get injured at any point in the game. We can't be babysit our players.

*Actual time may vary.
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't put good blockers on the PAT and then your All Pro, all-weather kicker gets his legs broken and the same fans are complaining why you don't do a better job protecting your kicker.

Just stupid complaining from people who will find anything to complain about.

We could have had no injuries and won by 50 and people would be complaining that our defense didn't hold them to 10 yards rushing.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonyto3690 wrote:
You don't put good blockers on the PAT and then your All Pro, all-weather kicker gets his legs broken and the same fans are complaining why you don't do a better job protecting your kicker.

That would also be a freak injury as well as a illegal, and plenty of others can block nearly as well (It's not like the choice is between Gronkowski blocking and Ryan Mallet blocking). And if i had to choose between exposing a kicker to a freak injury and my best play maker to injury, I expose the kicker every single time.

This defense of the decision to put Gronk on the FG unit is just stupid defense of BB. BB can make dumb decisions. Not everything he does needs to be defended.
SatireSphere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the best player plays, so if Gronk is the best at his particular spot on the FG unit he should be there. Injuries be damned, they happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone think of the last time someone was hurt on a PAT?m If you can it was probably a K, but a blocker? I cant personally. But you put the best guy out there and it was a freak injury on a low injury rate play. Comparing Gronk blocking on PAT vs RG3 covering kicks is horrible and quite frankly a dumb comparison. Gronk is th best blocker and if we were kicking a FG who do you trust more our backup TEs all w/ injury problems this season or Gronk who is better at it anyway? I'd want gronk out there protecting Gost.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Can anyone think of the last time someone was hurt on a PAT?m If you can it was probably a K, but a blocker? I cant personally. But you put the best guy out there and it was a freak injury on a low injury rate play. Comparing Gronk blocking on PAT vs RG3 covering kicks is horrible and quite frankly a dumb comparison. Gronk is th best blocker and if we were kicking a FG who do you trust more our backup TEs all w/ injury problems this season or Gronk who is better at it anyway? I'd want gronk out there protecting Gost.
I figure it's at least a one in 10,000 injury. If we round to 10 players on the field, 250 games a year, and 4 PATs per game (I have no idea how accurate that is), then something like this would happen once a year on average.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:

It is a penalty to hit the kicker. He is not going to get injured on a PAT. That is a specious argument.

Yes, Gronk is unlikely to get hurt on a PAT, but it is a stupid risk to take. The backup TEs should be more than capable of blocking on STs. How often are field goals blocked by players coming off the edge? Very rarely, so there is no need to risk Patriots best player.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had 7 pins inserted into his arm.
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
How often are field goals blocked by players coming off the edge?
More often than players are seriously hurt while trying to block them.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:

Is that based on personal observation?
HOVA333

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

He SHOULDN'T be part of the FG block team. Use someone else, ANYONE else.

Such as?

May be Brady....

Seriously this is freak injury, you can get injured at any point in the game. We can't be babysit our players.

As Jermain Wiggens was saying. There usually isn't many back ups for ST. He's your best blocker thats why hes out there. Hes a football player.

Adopt A Patriot
Logan Ryan : CB
Tkls: Int: FF:
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
Sciz wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:

Is that based on personal observation?
Yeah, and because nobody has been able to name any other time a player has been hurt while blocking on a field goal or PAT.

And ironically, this also happened this weekend:
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe people are actually faulting BB for having Gronk in their for a PAT attempt. It was a freak injury. The chances of that happening are so slim. Bad luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I could just hear it now, if someone else is in at wing that wasn't used to playing there on the field-goal team, and a guy came around the edge and dove in there and the holder or kicker got torn up -- 'Why was he in there? Why wouldn't you go with the same guy that's been doing it all game?' We can play that game all game. As long as you know what the results are, you always have the right argument. Players are prepared to play 60 minutes. The game is 60 minutes long. If you can take a guy out, or you want to take a guy out, you can do that. But a guy's got to play."

"We've seen those games in the NFL every year, teams that have a lead -- you can go back to the Indianapolis-Tampa game when they scored like 24 points in four minutes, the Buffalo-Houston playoff game where it's 35-0 at halftime and you lose 38-35, whatever it was. It doesn't take much in this league. Teams can score quickly. Turnovers."

"I think you just keep playing. At some point, there is a point [but] then you only have so many players, so somebody has to play. I think you have to be careful when you are trying to run a team to go up to one guy and say, 'Michael, we're going to leave you in the game because we don't really care about you, but Glenn, we're going to take you out because you're really important.' I don't think that's really a good way to approach a team. I've never done that. I don't think that would be a very successful approach to it."

Straight from Belichick's mouth. End of discussion, methinks.
CopeMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the people complaining about this. The wing on that unit is the toughest pos to block you have duel responsibility both inside and out. Plus I can't remember a team who subs on fg units unless someone is injured. I bet if the.same posters complaining loved bb running it up in 07.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: