Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Miller > Watt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Miller isn't double or triple-teamed? This is when I know people aren't watching. Watt is great, and may very well win, but I question how many people watch Von week in and week out.

Thanks, Tzimisce
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Von Miller isn't double or triple-teamed? This is when I know people aren't watching. Watt is great, and may very well win, but I question how many people watch Von week in and week out.

Von's getting chipped, yes (can't say much of that today... he had more than one play where he was completely ignored - and we can thank Jeromey Clary having the sense of my dog's rear end for that), but I've watched plenty of Broncos games this season and he doesn't have two guys consistently assigned to and sticking on him (as in one of the guys isn't assigned to chip then move to block someone else or chip then go run a route) the way Watt playing from the 5-Tech has.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

Doom92 wrote:
He is the best defensive player and is just a straight up beast against the pass and the run. Watt is definitely second and close to Miller, but Miller is the best defensive player in the league right now.

Whoa dude you're right. That's some pretty good reasoning!
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

The guy isn't rushing every single down. That alone makes truly doubling him silly, impractical, and often impossible. He'll get hit by backs, and sometimes doubled by a T and a TE, but that can't really happen all that often.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
24 catches, 307 yards, 3 TDs
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.J. Watt is literally the definition of a playmaker. Recording sacks, passes defended, stuffs, and even causing fumbles and picks.

Miller is an elite LB, but Watt is an elite player. Right now, I'd probably choose Watt as the most valuable defensive player in the league.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
J.J. Watt is literally the definition of a playmaker. Recording sacks, passes defended, stuffs, and even causing fumbles and picks.

Miller is an elite LB, but Watt is an elite player. Right now, I'd probably choose Watt as the most valuable defensive player in the league.

I'm not saying Von should necessarily win, but how is he not doing anything you just described there?

Thanks, Tzimisce
Skinsfan13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does Geno Atkins factor into all of this? He's probably going to finish with 13 or 14 sacks as a DT in a 4-3 defense, and he's even more disruptive than that figure would indicate. He just blows [inappropriate/removed] up 8 or 9 times a game it seems. He has to be in the discussion for best d player in the league at the moment in my opinion.
Doom92

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
Doom92 wrote:
He is the best defensive player and is just a straight up beast against the pass and the run. Watt is definitely second and close to Miller, but Miller is the best defensive player in the league right now.

More sacks, TFLs, and FFs than Watt. Miller is a more disruptive player, don't get me wrong Watt is good....but Von is better!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

Doom92 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
Doom92 wrote:

More sacks, TFLs, and FFs than Watt. Miller is a more disruptive player, don't get me wrong Watt is good....but Von is better!

Typically, an edge rusher will get make more plays than an end in a 3-4.....

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

Doom92 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
Doom92 wrote:

See, this just comes down to a misunderstanding of positional value and capabilities. 11.5 sacks from an interior rusher is far more impressive (and generally more disruptive) than 13 sacks from an edge rusher.

SenorClean2k0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

I feel like it's not even the sacks tho. Von is all up in that booty play after play after play. Even when he doesn't get sacks he is bringing the ruckus. I agree that as of right now Watt is probably ahead in the DPOY race, but if Von keeps playing to the level he has the last couple weeks... watch out, because he is tearing it up, and absolutely destroying offensive rhythm right now.

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt had an explosive start, Miller is having an explosive season. Miller has Watt beat everywhere except pass deflections. Overall, in my humble and not completely educated opinion (I've watched more Broncos games than Texans games), Miller is more of a threat to offenses than Watt.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Von Miller can't be counted as a 3-4 OLB. He has more strict responsibilities. Nor can be counted as a 4-3 DE or OLB.

We run a 4-1-2-4.

Von is his own position. Nobody really has the same type of role that he does that I can think of. The last I can remember that's close is maybe Peter Boulware back in the old days.

LOLING at those who said he can't stop the run. He's been the best "4-3 OLB" against the run the entire season.

It's realize what I'm about to say is contradicting to the above but a 3-4 DE with those sack numbers are just as if not less rare than a 4-3 OLB with those sack numbers.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Miller > Watt Reply with quote

SenorClean2k0 wrote:
I feel like it's not even the sacks tho. Von is all up in that booty play after play after play. Even when he doesn't get sacks he is bringing the ruckus.

This might be the most awesome thing I've ever read in my life. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
Von Miller can't be counted as a 3-4 OLB. He has more strict responsibilities. Nor can be counted as a 4-3 DE or OLB.

We run a 4-1-2-4.

Von is his own position. Nobody really has the same type of role that he does that I can think of. The last I can remember that's close is maybe Peter Boulware back in the old days.

LOLING at those who said he can't stop the run. He's been the best "4-3 OLB" against the run the entire season.

It's realize what I'm about to say is contradicting to the above but a 3-4 DE with those sack numbers are just as if not less rare than a 4-3 OLB with those sack numbers.

But...he's not a 4-3 OLB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 2 of 33

Jump to: