You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 12: VIKINGS (6-4) at Bears (7-3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nbanflguy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
So recently, the Vikings win once in Chicago every 5-7 years. I think we are due for a win. Smile

Does anyone remember 2008 when we went into Chicago with Gus Frerotte and scored like 40 points, but lost? Then 2009 with Favre we lost in OT. So we have gotten close a few times recently.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bears will have a short week with a MNF game this week and they play a very physical 49ers team. Further, they will also have 6 days to get Jay Cutler ready to play. I wonder how the short week for the Bears against a physical team will impact this game as they play a fresh Vikings team coming off the bye week.

I really could see the Vikings hanging with the Bears. The Bears offense really hasnt been playing that well, but Cutler seems to have big games against the Vikings. I am more concerned about the Bears defense, they are very opportunistic. The Vikings need to take a conservative approach as they cant afford to let Ponder make many errant throws, those will be Ints against this Bears team. Id keep Ponder to a short passing attack and try and gash the Bears on the ground. The Bears have given up a lot on the ground recently, so I think Peterson is very capable of having another big game.

A short week against a very physical 49ers Oline and run game, I could see the Bears some issues defending Peterson.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main key to this game, believe it or not, will be the offensive line in the ground game. Peterson is right back in cyborg mode at this stage, but it will be tough sledding for even him if our o-line cannot at least win the strength battle against a powerful Bears' d-line (if not consistently beat them). I think it would benefit us to throw a few shots downfield even if they are not all that likely to connect, just to keep the defense at bay enough for the sake of Peterson's breathing room. There is next to no way Ponder gets the better of Peanut Tillman and co., but I like Peterson against any defense, any time. So the o-line will be monumental this go-'round.

This is actually a huge game. It's a pleasant surprise.

Peppers90 on the sig.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allthough unlikely for Chicago to let him walk, we will get to see a good look at Henry Melton.

A few mocks this year we had guys bringing him in through Free Agency.

From what I've seen, he's been pretty darn good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The Bears will have a short week with a MNF game this week and they play a very physical 49ers team. Further, they will also have 6 days to get Jay Cutler ready to play. I wonder how the short week for the Bears against a physical team will impact this game as they play a fresh Vikings team coming off the bye week.

I really could see the Vikings hanging with the Bears. The Bears offense really hasnt been playing that well, but Cutler seems to have big games against the Vikings. I am more concerned about the Bears defense, they are very opportunistic. The Vikings need to take a conservative approach as they cant afford to let Ponder make many errant throws, those will be Ints against this Bears team. Id keep Ponder to a short passing attack and try and gash the Bears on the ground. The Bears have given up a lot on the ground recently, so I think Peterson is very capable of having another big game.

A short week against a very physical 49ers Oline and run game, I could see the Bears some issues defending Peterson.

I completely agree.

This game will be a huge litmus test that will indicate how we fare over the remainder of the season.

-If we beat the Bears, the team's confidence will continue to rise.
-If we lose, but keep it close, it will show that we can compete with some of the NFC's best.
-If we get blown out, it could be only the beginning of a downward spiral.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago's run defense, past 3 weeks

Week 10: Arian Foster - 29 carries, 102 yards
Week 9: Chris Johnson - 16 carries, 141 yards, 1 TD
Week 8: Stewart/Williams - 28 carries, 75 yards

Think Adrian hasn't noticed?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking in hypotheticals, if Chicago loses tomorrow night, and we beat them on Sunday, we would have the same record and hold the tiebreaker. A very possible Packer loss to Giants would mean a three-way tie for first place in the NFC North.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The Vikings havent beaten the Bears since 2009.

The last time the Vikings won in Chicago was in 2000.

This probably wont be a pretty game.

false

EDIT: i didn't see the posts on the bottom of page 1
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Speaking in hypotheticals, if Chicago loses tomorrow night, and we beat them on Sunday, we would have the same record and hold the tiebreaker. A very possible Packer loss to Giants would mean a three-way tie for first place in the NFC North.

So, we hold the tiebreaker over Chicago is this scenario, but what about Greenbay?

someone has to be considered #1, right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

So, we hold the tiebreaker over Chicago is this scenario, but what about Greenbay?

someone has to be considered #1, right?

If I remember correctly conference record is the first tiebreaker so we'd be completely tied with Green Bay with a 5-3 conference record.

Edit: Just checked Conference record isn't the first tiebreaker. It's shared games.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig

Go Vikings, Badgers, Twins, Wolves, and Wild
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

It looks like Alex Smith is out for the Monday Night game. Which makes it a very winnable game for the Bears. Not because Alex Smith is any good, but because Colin Kaepernick looked awful against the Rams last week. It may have been a case of the jitters, but he was missing open receivers by about five yards on the intermediate routes. Jason Campbell is much less of a downgrade from Jay Cutler by comparison.

I would not put too much stock into the bye week vs. short week thing in this case. Unless the Bears get a bunch of guys hurt against the 49ers, a road game in Chicago in late November is going to be a really tough assignment for this Vikings team.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
We don't know if Cutler is going to play yet. We have a much better chance if Campbell plays.

I actually disagree. I've always thought the Vikings fare worse vs. backups.

The Bears can't make plays downfield without Cutler. And generally, teams play worse when they have worse players.

Just for example, over the last 3 years:

2009 - W vs. San Francisco (Shaun Hill, essentially a backup to Alex Smith...the miracle pass to Greg Lewis), W. vs St. Louis (Kyle Boller, backup to Marc Bulger), L vs. Carolina (Matt Moore, backup to Delhomme)

2010 - W vs. Detroit (Shaun Hill again, this time backup to Stafford), L. vs Detroit (Shaun Hill again)

2011 - L vs. Chicago (Josh McCown, backup to Jay Cutler)

Therefore, in the last 3 years, the Vikings have gone 3-3 vs. backups. But, if you examine even in some of those wins, the Vikings' struggled against those QBs...Shaun Hill passed for 195 and 234 yds in 2 of those, and Boller passed for 201. All of them had over a 60% completion rate as well.

In the losses, it was even worse, Moore passed for 299 yds, and Hill for 258 (with over a 70% completion rate). Only McCown's performance was mediocre, but that loss had more to do with the Vikings' ineffectiveness offensively.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
We don't know if Cutler is going to play yet. We have a much better chance if Campbell plays.

The Bears can't make plays downfield without Cutler. And generally, teams play worse when they have worse players.

2009 - W vs. San Francisco (Shaun Hill, essentially a backup to Alex Smith...the miracle pass to Greg Lewis), W. vs St. Louis (Kyle Boller, backup to Marc Bulger), L vs. Carolina (Matt Moore, backup to Delhomme)

2010 - W vs. Detroit (Shaun Hill again, this time backup to Stafford), L. vs Detroit (Shaun Hill again)

Therefore, in the last 3 years, the Vikings have gone 3-3 vs. backups. But, if you examine even in some of those wins, the Vikings' struggled against those QBs...Shaun Hill passed for 195 and 234 yds in 2 of those, and Boller passed for 201. All of them had over a 60% completion rate as well.

In the losses, it was even worse, Moore passed for 299 yds, and Hill for 258 (with over a 70% completion rate). Only McCown's performance was mediocre, but that loss had more to do with the Vikings' ineffectiveness offensively.

Well, I would point out that the Vikings total record from 2009 to 2011 is sub-.500 so a 3-3 record is actually an improved winning percentage.

I would also say you should evaluate the individual situation. What caliber backup is playing and what of type quarterback is he replacing, and the overall caliber of the teams involved. There's a pretty steep drop off from Cutler to Campbell, IMO. It's a clear advantage to us if Cutler doesn't play.
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Also, Jason Campbell can look after the football and throw the ball down the field with authority. That was never his problem. It's the short timing routes that he has historically struggled with. He's the Un-Ponder in many ways.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell looked like the Bears own version of Captain Checkdown last week, and a Washington fan on another board claimed that's his MO.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 2 of 57

Jump to: