Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Barkley: Yes or No? and Why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rearviewmirror


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2009
Posts: 18631
Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Matt Barkley: Yes or No? and Why? Reply with quote

Do you want him? Why? Why not?

Let's limit this to just Barkley and not whether you want anyone else over him leading that to discussing other QBs.
_________________

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JHawk24


Joined: 09 Feb 2008
Posts: 525
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. He isn't an NFL QB. His short routes lack placement, his deep balls lack zip and loft when needed. His is exactly the same QB as MC. I said it before that he would have a Quinn like drop, now I'm saying he falls into the mid second.
_________________


Props to LOTO.Tailback for the best ever; Vincent Edward Jackson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arrowhead86


Joined: 07 Dec 2004
Posts: 4338
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not.

I think his ceiling is much lower than a number of alternatives. He looks like a game manager in the NFL, not a game changer.
_________________
Throw to score! Run to win!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:14/Assists:1/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0/PD:1/INT:0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brawl.kc


Joined: 26 Apr 2008
Posts: 2044
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, I do. I don't believe in this hyper-speculatory pre-draft hooplah. The kid has had a rough end to his otherwise brilliant collegiate career. He's been followed by National Media since High-School. Just now, after the nearly 8 years of reading about this kid do I finally hear some criticisms. Is he the best overall player in the draft this year? Maybe not. But that doesn't much matter at this point. We have proven that a great Linebacker and a terrible QB equals bad. We must have a change at QB for the better. I don't care if he's the 13th best player in the draft due to some stud defenders, linemen, or whoever. We need a freakin' QB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6572
Location: SC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rumless


Joined: 01 Sep 2012
Posts: 1517
Location: Chiefs Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853

I figured I might see you cite some NFL Draft forum talk after seeing you post there a bit...

Overall, Barkley is a media-made player. If the media didn't pay attention to him in high school, and he wasn't a USC commit, Barkley is probably on the same level as Kirk Cousins. I don't see first-rounder potential. I think Sanchez was better coming out.
_________________
[quote="aceinthehouse"]I personally do NOT think Lewis is the Greatest MLBer ever.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KCDiehard88


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 3145
Location: Southwest MO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853


I was going to link the same thing.

It sums it up for me as well.

Only yes if he is available in the 4th round like Cousins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The criticisms come now because people are now actually looking at this skill set more then just his record or stats. When you start to project him to the NFL, you get people who's job it is to figure out if guys have the tools or not. Up until this point it's been sports writers who largely don't know the intricacies of the position talking about how good he is. The scouts haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to him until this season. The results are he is very average.

I think his upside is Andy Dalton, an averagely talented guy that's a gamer. His floor is Matt Cassel.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853


I was going to link the same thing.

It sums it up for me as well.

Only yes if he is available in the 4th round like Cousins

FYI, a 4 page thread hardly sums it up. Laughing
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6572
Location: SC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853

I figured I might see you cite some NFL Draft forum talk after seeing you post there a bit...

Overall, Barkley is a media-made player. If the media didn't pay attention to him in high school, and he wasn't a USC commit, Barkley is probably on the same level as Kirk Cousins. I don't see first-rounder potential. I think Sanchez was better coming out.


Yeah, I was going to save myself the trouble of typing about why I don't like Barkley. You are right about the media hype. I just haven't been impressed with him at all when I have watched USC and honestly I would prefer someone like E.J. Manuel over Barkley because I think Manuel has more upside. Hell, I would even take gooseneck over Barkley :


_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KCDiehard88


Joined: 03 Jan 2009
Posts: 3145
Location: Southwest MO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
KCDiehard88 wrote:
nicfre2011 wrote:
This pretty much sums it up...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=504853


I was going to link the same thing.

It sums it up for me as well.

Only yes if he is available in the 4th round like Cousins

FYI, a 4 page thread hardly sums it up. Laughing


Ok ok let's not get picky. I summed it up in my own words as well. That was just there for reasoning. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6572
Location: SC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
The criticisms come now because people are now actually looking at this skill set more then just his record or stats. When you start to project him to the NFL, you get people who's job it is to figure out if guys have the tools or not. Up until this point it's been sports writers who largely don't know the intricacies of the position talking about how good he is. The scouts haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to him until this season. The results are he is very average.

I think his upside is Andy Dalton, an averagely talented guy that's a gamer. His floor is Matt Cassel.


Oh, I have to believe the scouts were looking at Barkley last year. Scouting departments are likely going to be well aware of all of the draft eligible prospects. Scouts don't go on sports shows or publish "expert" articles. The thing is, the scouts aren't the media and the media is all about finding their darlings. Kinda like Manziel, right?

Laughing
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DT58_lives_on


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 5789
Location: St. Cloud, MN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe issue here is, short of someone like Flacco not getting tagged/resigned there isn't any other option but us drafting a QB.

Is it Barkley, I don't know. Honestly this is the worst draft QB wise for us to be at the top in a while. But realistically, can we do anything else. We literally don't have a QB on the roster worth keeping.

I think we take a QB first overall and then again with our comp pick in the third that we'll get from Carr. His name is Collin...and he's a gamer.
_________________
[image]http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/jesse_fritsch1/DEEFORD2_zpsef1ad50c.jpg[image]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nicfre2011


Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 6572
Location: SC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
THe issue here is, short of someone like Flacco not getting tagged/resigned there isn't any other option but us drafting a QB.

Is it Barkley, I don't know. Honestly this is the worst draft QB wise for us to be at the top in a while. But realistically, can we do anything else. We literally don't have a QB on the roster worth keeping.

I think we take a QB first overall and then again with our comp pick in the third that we'll get from Carr. His name is Collin...and he's a gamer.


DT, I disagree. Find a legitimate quarterback and I don't care if it is in round 1, 2, or even 3. We need to avoid the "throw as many picks at the wall and see who sticks" concept when it comes to quarterbacks. We just need a competent front office and coaching staff that can :

1. Evaluate the position.
2. Develop the quarterback.
3. Gameplan for the strengths of the quarterback.
_________________


Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigschmadt00


Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 10897
Location: 500 miles East of Sack City!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:
The criticisms come now because people are now actually looking at this skill set more then just his record or stats. When you start to project him to the NFL, you get people who's job it is to figure out if guys have the tools or not. Up until this point it's been sports writers who largely don't know the intricacies of the position talking about how good he is. The scouts haven't really paid a whole lot of attention to him until this season. The results are he is very average.

I think his upside is Andy Dalton, an averagely talented guy that's a gamer. His floor is Matt Cassel.


Oh, I have to believe the scouts were looking at Barkley last year. Scouting departments are likely going to be well aware of all of the draft eligible prospects. Scouts don't go on sports shows or publish "expert" articles. The thing is, the scouts aren't the media and the media is all about finding their darlings. Kinda like Manziel, right?

Laughing

I should have clarified, I was thinking of the scouting types in the media like Mayock and other former scouts/FO types that actually know what they are looking at. The do have a mouthpiece, but aren't doing a whole lot of studying of prospects until the regular season is over as they are either covering CFB or NFL games. So those with the knowledge and the mouthpiece probably never looked at him in depth last season. And if they did, we probably didn't hear about it much because they and us were busy with real football.

Oh, and shhhh, Manziel just did something amazing again.
_________________

^ryknowssd on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group