Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gaither to IR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Germanbolt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Gaither to IR Reply with quote

According to the Chargers facebook Jared Gaither has been placed on IR. Man, this crushes our super bowl hopes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw that too, no shock really. If he is too lazy to suit up then he is better off on IR so we can bring in someone else. Really disappointed with "the big lazy", last season he looked like he turned the corner and could be a solid player.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers placed LT Jared Gaither (groin) on injured reserve, ending his season.
It's a huge blow to the rest-of-season outlook for San Diego's offense. Philip Rivers has sensed pressure when it isn't there with UDFA Mike Harris at left tackle this season, and the offense has often had trouble picking up first downs, let alone keeping pass rushers off Rivers' backside. Aside from perhaps Danario Alexander, expect a slow finish for the Chargers' skill-position players. Gaither is likely to return in 2013 at his affordable $4.5 million base salary, but his health has proven much too unreliable for the Chargers to count on Gaither as a starter. Per beat writer Michael Gehlken, Gaither wound up earning $2.25 million for every game played in 2012

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4497/jared-gaither

Nice of Norv to wait until it's too late to say something.

Rotoworld wrote:
Speaking about LT Jared Gaither's season-ending groin injury, Chargers coach Norv Turner said, "we gave Jared every opportunity to be a part of this team, and it just hasn't worked out."
It's a not so subtle shot from Norval at his would-be left tackle, whose "Big Lazy" ways reared their ugly head from the word "go" this season. Gaither missed nearly all of camp with a mysterious "back injury," and appeared in just four of 10 contests before his year was ended on Friday. Gaither's $4.5 million 2013 salary is guaranteed, however, so he'll be back in a Bolts uniform next season. They can only hope he works harder this offseason. We wouldn't hold our breath.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we have to have him next year but what are the chances that we look for a permanent solution like Long or Clady. There are a few good ones out there and having a stud at that position would go a long way towards getting things going in the right direction. Do we even have the cap room to think that way. Maybe we could force JG to RT...lol. They shoulda seen this issue early in the season when an UDFA rook was starting LT.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
So, we have to have him next year but what are the chances that we look for a permanent solution like Long or Clady. There are a few good ones out there and having a stud at that position would go a long way towards getting things going in the right direction. Do we even have the cap room to think that way. Maybe we could force JG to RT...lol. They shoulda seen this issue early in the season when an UDFA rook was starting LT.

It all going to depend on who's the GM next year. They may just take the hit and get rid of Gaither. Long and Clady will be franchised, and there's no chance AJ would pay the price it would take to get them.

Zappaz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea how getting rid of him would affect our cap either. Honestly I dont think you can trust him to play a single snap. I'm thinking who ever is the best LT available for our pick... thats who we must go for. I also think we'll be starting a new center next season, there is a chance a large majority of the line is different... our luck though, Clary will still be there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
No idea how getting rid of him would affect our cap either. Honestly I dont think you can trust him to play a single snap. I'm thinking who ever is the best LT available for our pick... thats who we must go for. I also think we'll be starting a new center next season, there is a chance a large majority of the line is different... our luck though, Clary will still be there.

Laughing

Yeah, I was just thinking about this the other day. Four new starters.....yet Clary is still the starting RT.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Lewan time!

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Taylor Lewan time!

That kid is going to be something special. I'll be shocked if he's not a top 5 pick. I made a couple comments about him before I realized he was a Frosh/Soph, but now I can't find them. I did come across some interesting posts in an old draft thread when I was looking, and I feel should be brought back.

Duffman57 wrote:
The more i watch JJ Watt the more i dislike him. He consistantly rushes upfield completely disreguarding the run and is easily pushed back when they run right at him. The only thing i like about him is that he's very good at using his hands to prevent from getting locked on (really has some of the best handwork i've seen out of a DL) and can beat guys with quickness. He cant hold ground vs. bigger OT's and when he gets locked on, he cant do anything. I dont like him as a fit here AT ALL. Right now here's how i see it...Jordan>Heyward>Bailey>Watt (bailey and watt have quite a big gap between them and heyward/jordan).

Stone85 wrote:
Agreed. Watt doesn't fit here very good at all. I'm going to keep him at 17 to the Patriots.

You're both fired.

Germanbolt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always hilarious to go back in time and see those old draft threads.. Makes you really interested in old profiles by NFL Scouts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Taylor Lewan time!

That kid is going to be something special. I'll be shocked if he's not a top 5 pick. I made a couple comments about him before I realized he was a Frosh/Soph, but now I can't find them. I did come across some interesting posts in an old draft thread when I was looking, and I feel should be brought back.

Duffman57 wrote:
The more i watch JJ Watt the more i dislike him. He consistantly rushes upfield completely disreguarding the run and is easily pushed back when they run right at him. The only thing i like about him is that he's very good at using his hands to prevent from getting locked on (really has some of the best handwork i've seen out of a DL) and can beat guys with quickness. He cant hold ground vs. bigger OT's and when he gets locked on, he cant do anything. I dont like him as a fit here AT ALL. Right now here's how i see it...Jordan>Heyward>Bailey>Watt (bailey and watt have quite a big gap between them and heyward/jordan).

Stone85 wrote:
Agreed. Watt doesn't fit here very good at all. I'm going to keep him at 17 to the Patriots.

You're both fired.

This is bull, i cant go back and find ur [inappropriate/removed] cuz you have too many posts.

To be fair this was only after watching him as a wide DE rushing. He did do those things. And at the time, we had been playing a 2 gap DE style, which uses much more run clogging DE types. Now that we're running with a more penetrating style DE, like wade does in HOU, and did here, wed be a perfect fit for him.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:

It's not pretty. What the Rotoworld snippet doesn't mention is that we also gave Gaither an $8mm signing bonus (yes, it's been paid out and factors out of the "guaranteed" sum, but it also likely was prorated evenly over the life of the contract). So in essence cutting Gaither would cause that prorated remainder of cap hits to accelerate and compound (unlike what Michael Gehlken intimated in his most recent column that made me wonder if the guy's ever read any of the approved CBA's since the salary cap was introduced). Long story short, it's actually costs more to release Gaither next season than to just PUP or IR him or let him remain on the roster ($10.5mm cap-hit if released versus $7.5mm if retained).

Only saving grace woudl be if AJ/McGuire managed to squeeze an injury out-clause into Gaither's contract similar to what they did with MM's.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Duff, I'm just busting your chops. There happen to be something on TV raving about Watt when I read that, and the shot had to be fired.

MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither's replacement on the roster has been named. It's none other than the great........Kevin Haslam

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers signed OL Kevin Haslam from the team's practice squad.
Haslam has the ability to play both guard and tackle. He will be active in Week 12 against the Ravens as San Diego's swing tackle. LT Jared Gaither (groin) was placed on injured reserve this week.

https://twitter.com/UTgehlken/status/272432138761162752

Two UDFA's, and Clary. They're better off starting McMichael at OT. He can block better than all of them.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for Kevin Haslam to go all 2011 Gaither on us, we trust him, pass on Taylor Lewan, Haslam goes down in preseason. Laughing

But honestly, there is no Gaither this time that is out there.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: