Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game Day Observations--Green Bay Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Game Day Observations--Green Bay Game Reply with quote

Offense:

1. What is going on with Matthew Stafford? He just doesn't seem to be able to hit his receivers in stride. I also don't understand why he still hasn't learned to see guys who are sitting in intermediate zone coverage. At least he didn't get picked off by a LB today. It really seems like there is some sort of rift/disconnect/bad chemistry between Stafford and his receivers.

2. Did anyone else see Shawn Jefferson shouting at Scott Linehan? Considering how our receivers are consistently unable to get separation I don't think Shawn Jefferson should be yelling at anyone.

3. Ryan Broyles continues to make nice plays.

4. Riley Reiff looked OK at LT but made a couple of rookie mistakes. Overall, not too bad.

5. Our O-line needs some serious attention on the off season. They aren't the greatest run blocking unit. Today they gave up a lot of pressure up the middle early and edge pressure late to and injury-riddled Green Bay defense. We need guys who can get more push at the C, RG positions. Gosder Cherilous looks somewhat above average but that is about all I can say.

Defense:

1. Nick Fairley is starting to be a consistent play maker. The question is what is happening to Suh? He was sitting on the sidelines for an extended period. I know he gets double teamed a lot but I am waiting for him to put together something better than a "nice game".

2. We are getting no production from our DEs. Suh and Fairley are tying up a lot of blockers. They are running themselves out of the play and just not making enough plays against the pass.

3. The LBs had a good day. Unfortunately, their two biggest break-downs did a lot of damage. The TD to Finley was a well-designed play but he shouldn't have been that open. Finley's reception late was a back-breaker.

3. The secondary is an enigma Jonte Green made a mistake early but overall had a decent game. He really tackles well. Lacey looked silly on the TD he gave up but also had an INT early in the game. He would be a 3rd or 4th CB on any other team though. I don't know what to think of Ricardo Silva. His play is solid but not spectacular. He is a good tackler but his pass coverage is inconsistent. His speed seems a little questionable at this point. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to a lack of experience. They had a solid game today especially when you consider the Green Bay's field position. I am just waiting for someone to be a consistent play maker.

Overall the defense had a good game. We could definitely use and upgrade at S and CB this off-season. Last year we had an explosive offense with a questionable defense. This year defense is carrying the team while the offense struggles.

Special Teams:

1. Stefan Logan is really putting our offense and defense in a bad position. He muffed a fair catch. He keeps calling for fair catches that result in our offense being pinned deep in our own territory. I hope Mike Thomas starts taking more punt and kick-off returns.

I think that at the very least the WR coach will be replaced. The offensive coordinator and QB coach might get the ax also. How does everyone else see things?

Last edited by WillParks on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I think Stafford's mechanics have a lot to do with the poor play. He trusts his arm too much. You can't get away with throwing off your back foot and throwing sidearm all the time.

I wonder if there's any injury he's playing thru that's affecting his play? The WR's and O-line don't do him many favors.

-LeShoure is nice but the Lions are still the only team with no run over 20 yards. Is his explosion gone post-Achilles injury or is our interior line not opening good holes for him?

- Fairley was a beast today and Suh held his own, took on the double teams to open things for him. Our DE's have been really quiet though not just today but for pretty much most of the season.

- Secondary wasn't terrible today for the most part but the tackling was poor.

- Nick Harris was pretty awful punting today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Stafford's mechanics, the lack of separation with the WRs and the high number of drops, I can see the QB coach and WR coach being replaced this year. Maybe it is me, but if the offense doesn't start performing up to its potential it might be time to change offensive coordinators. Does anyone have Bruce Arian's phone number?
DTOW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I thought Stafford had his worst game in awhile. Missed to many easy ones and was responsible for 3 turnovers.

-Leshoure looked good again. I thought he did a better job of getting up field and looked more decisive.

-Reiff came in and played well. He had a couple penalties and got shoved back once or twice pretty good but overall he held his own. I think he is still gonna need to put on at least another 10 lbs this offseason.

-As others have said, Fairley was a beast. I thought line as a whole had one of there better games this years. They got consistent pressure and we got a few good shots in on Rogers.

-Not having Delmas is a killer right now. We absolutely need to find a playmaker in the back 7 this offseason.

-Can we find somebody to put back on punt return duty that can actually catch the football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: