Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats release Branch, Williams; Add Talib, Salas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sciz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Pats release Branch, Williams; Add Talib, Salas Reply with quote

Quote:
The Patriots have released Deion Branch and Malcolm Williams. Greg Salas and Aqib Talib are added to the 53. #PatriotsTalk

https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/269913577991839746

So one very expected move, one surprise! Laughing
Branch was questionable with a hamstring injury, so that could help explain that move, but still pretty surprising.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Branch was released for Salas. Hopefully he plays on Sunday. Really want to see if he can make things happen.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
Glad Branch was released for Salas. Hopefully he plays on Sunday. Really want to see if he can make things happen.

Salas is behind Welker, Lloyd, and Edelman (who the team seems to like more than we do) on the depth chart. In addition to Gronkowski and Fells. I doubt he plays much, if at all.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
young juice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welker is hurt from what I have seen

I hope Salas used his PS time to learn the Pats play book

925 to 617 to 805

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Donut wrote:

Salas is behind Welker, Lloyd, and Edelman (who the team seems to like more than we do) on the depth chart. In addition to Gronkowski and Fells. I doubt he plays much, if at all.

Fells is behind both Shiancoe and Hoomanawanui on the depth chart (based on last weeks snaps).

The Branch move tells me that they're unsure if Welker will be ready to go and they need a healthy WR. Knowing that Branch is both injured and unlikely to sign elsewhere, it makes sense that they'd swap him for Salas.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young juice wrote:
Welker is hurt from what I have seen

I hope Salas used his PS time to learn the Pats play book

It shouldn't be too much of a curve for Salas, he played under McDaniels in St Louis.
samgurl775

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember back in the off season when a lot of people thought we were completely stacked at WR? I wasn't one of them, but it's funny how much things change.

Troy Brown wrote:
But thing is, you're like half-girl. You like sports and seemingly think logically.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Donut wrote:

Fells is behind both Shiancoe and Hoomanawanui on the depth chart (based on last weeks snaps).

The Branch move tells me that they're unsure if Welker will be ready to go and they need a healthy WR. Knowing that Branch is both injured and unlikely to sign elsewhere, it makes sense that they'd swap him for Salas.

Forgot about Shiancoe. Left out Hooman intentionally since he was lining up in the backfield and I don't think he's in the same competition for snaps as Fells vs. Salas.

The beat writers all think that another team tried to sign Salas so they bumped his pay to the vet min. It'll be interesting to see if he gets exposed to waivers again.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Donut wrote:

Forgot about Shiancoe. Left out Hooman intentionally since he was lining up in the backfield and I don't think he's in the same competition for snaps as Fells vs. Salas.

The beat writers all think that another team tried to sign Salas so they bumped his pay to the vet min. It'll be interesting to see if he gets exposed to waivers again.

At this point, if the team likes Salas (in terms of a future beyond this year), there's no point in exposing him to waivers. There are a lot of guys on the roster who can go to keep him around. Brace could be cut or put on IR. Petrus, Martin, Hoomanawanui etc could all go as well.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as it makes sense I just hate seeing Branch go through these hoops.

Definitely have bias towards him since he's such a class act and is one of the few guys out there who seems to have no problem with putting the team first.

No matter what the Pats do, resign him or not, its pretty much guaranteed he will have nothing but great things to say about BB/Pats.

Gotta respect that.

Sig credit: Deadpulse
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:

Definitely have bias towards him since he's such a class act and is one of the few guys out there who seems to have no problem with putting the team first.

No matter what the Pats do, resign him or not, its pretty much guaranteed he will have nothing but great things to say about BB/Pats.

Gotta respect that.

I agree somewhat, but it's not like Branch didn't chase the money to Seattle. He's very loyal to the Pats organisation now because, without being mean, they're the only team in the league that have even the smallest use for him.

Adopt-a-Pat 2014: Robert Gronkowski TE
Rec: 40 Yards: 558 TDs: 7
terbo559

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branch haven't been much to our offense this season anyways.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:

Gotta respect that.

He's been great (in terms of character, not so much in production) since coming back. But let's not act like Branch is this selfless team leader that always puts the Patriots first. He very publicly and somewhat selfishly put himself first in 2006.

Do I blame Branch for holding out, forcing a trade and getting a big (overpay) contract? Not really. But it certainly tarnishes the image of him as a "team first" guy.

Last edited by mcmurtry86 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was about as team first as one can really be on the Pats. "Get paid 2-3x as much else where, or be a team first guy here"...

Churchill once said, "if you're not liberal in your 20s, you have no heart; if you're not conservative in your 40's, you have no brain" - get that $$$ while you can.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
He was about as team first as one can really be on the Pats. "Get paid 2-3x as much else where, or be a team first guy here"...

There are a lot of guys who went about things the "right" way. Play out your contract and see what happens. You can be a team first guy and still bolt for greener pastures once your contract is up.

How many Pats have held out into the regular season when they have a signed contract? Mankins held out, but he wasn't under contract. Welker did the "right" thing and is playing under the franchise tag. Vinatieri and Samuel both showed up when the games started, even if they were personally unhappy with their contract status/franchise tag status.

Of all of the guys who have held out, missed camp/practices and otherwise complained about their contract with the Pats, Branch is the only guy I can think of who held out on a signed contract and missed regular season games because of it.

Quote:
Churchill once said, "if you're not liberal in your 20s, you have no heart; if you're not conservative in your 40's, you have no brain" - get that $$$ while you can.

And this is just idiotic but we shouldn't get into it here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: