Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Does the Rams Redskins RGIII trade work out for both teams?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
This needs to be repeated until people start taking it into account: if Griffin becomes an elite QB and Bradford continues to play at an uninspiring level, the Rams lose this deal. Even if they get a great haul out of their picks.

Not if the surrounding team can make up for it, ala Alex Smith and the Niners.

It's not the entire surrounding team. It's specifically those 4 picks. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

Why? They weren't ever going to take Griffin because of Bradford's contract, so it doesn't make sense to say that.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
This needs to be repeated until people start taking it into account: if Griffin becomes an elite QB and Bradford continues to play at an uninspiring level, the Rams lose this deal. Even if they get a great haul out of their picks.

It's not the entire surrounding team. It's specifically those 4 picks. It would take a miracle for that to happen.

Why? They weren't ever going to take Griffin because of Bradford's contract, so it doesn't make sense to say that.

I never said they were going to do it. I said it's what they should have done.

I understand it's an unconventional approach. But with a commodity as important as a franchise QB and limited opportunities to obtain one, I'm a very strong believer in hedging my bets when the guy I already have has given me reason to doubt him.

I'm willing to take risks to get there, because without one I know that even a super talented roster (if I get lucky, and hit far more than just the picks I've acquired) can only get me so far if I don't have the QB. Giving up a few major picks to get that QB is hardly an insurmountable sacrifice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

I understand it's an unconventional approach. But with a commodity as important as a franchise QB and limited opportunities to obtain one, I'm a very strong believer in hedging my bets when the guy I already have has given me reason to doubt him.

I'm willing to take risks to get there, because without one I know that even a super talented roster (if I get lucky, and hit far more than just the picks I've acquired) can only get me so far if I don't have the QB. Giving up a few major picks to get that QB is hardly an insurmountable sacrifice.

They could use their first next year or the year after to draft a QB.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

They could use their first next year or the year after to draft a QB.

They could, but they're not in nearly as good of a position to get one. And the odds of them being as good as RG3 don't look too promising so far, based on his rookie year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:

I guess you don't pay attention to the Rams much? Bradford has been playing very well lately and even at this point is a mid level QB(somewhere between 12-18 in most categories).

I don't get why people who clearly aren't paying attention to his play say this? Yes RGIII has played better but he's also played a much softer schedule. Rams have played Chicago, 49ers, Arizona, Seattle, and Detroit all top ten passing defenses. While the Redskins have played 1, yes 1, top ten passing defense and in that game Griffin looked very mediocre.

Also which would you rather have

RGIII

or
Sam bradford

plus
Michael Brockers
Janoris Jenkins
Isiah Pead
R.Watkins
Luke Joeckel
Sammy Watkins

This is a pretty realistic scenario(Skins likely end up a 5-10 picks this year) and maybe 7-17 next year.
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekBrink wrote:

I guess you don't pay attention to the Rams much? Bradford has been playing very well lately and even at this point is a mid level QB(somewhere between 12-18 in most categories).

Passer rating: 20th
Completion %: 16th
YPA: 19th
TD %: 20th
INT %: 16th

That's 16-20, not 12-18. And mid level really isn't good enough anyway. If he was a franchise QB, he should be doing better than he is right now.

Quote:
Also which would you rather have

RGIII

or
Sam bradford

plus
Michael Brockers
Janoris Jenkins
Isiah Pead
R.Watkins
Luke Joeckel
Sammy Watkins

This is a pretty realistic scenario(Skins likely end up a 5-10 picks this year) and maybe 7-17 next year.

I want RGIII. The quarterback position is just that important.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 19 in both QBR and rating and within 3 points of being 11 in rating.

He's having a pretty similar third year to Flacco, Eli, Brees, etc and etc(Romo and Rogers didn't even play until they were older than Bradford)did in their third seasons(actually better than many). He's put up pretty similar numbers to most young QB's besides the ultra elite like Brady or Manning.

Yes RGIII has played better but he's also played a very weak schedule of opponents. I'm sure his ratings would drop quite a bit if he was playing the 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks, and etc instead of playing the Saints, Tampa, Carolina, Min and Atlanta.

I agree Griffin obviously has more upside but I have a hard time judging him off such a small sample size and the fact he's played such a soft schedule.

I think Bradford is much more likely to end up like a Flacco, Eli or on but I don't agree that he's struggling this year.

I also wouldn't take RGIII over bradford, Brockers, Jenkins, Pead, Watkins, Joeckel and Watkins in any scenario.
TheSphinx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way too early to tell. A lot of if depends on how RGIII progresses over the next couple of years. When you give up that much for a QB he can't be average...he has to be a beast. So if RGIII is talked about in the same breath as Rodgers/Brady/Manning then yes it will be worth it. If he is talked about in the same breath as Smith/Vick/Culter then it will really depend on how good Washington is in putting something around him. If he is talked about in the same breath as Sanchez then it won't matter because everyone who was involved in the trade will have been fired long ago.

With that being said I believe it was basically a no-lose trade for the Rams. There was no realistic way there were going to dump Bradford to pick up another unproven commodity and his contract made him basically untradeable so they were stuck with him. Given that Bradford wasn't going anywhere the Rams got a lot of picks "for free". It is hard to lose when it is free.

-TS
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
That's 16-20, not 12-18. And mid level really isn't good enough anyway. If he was a franchise QB, he should be doing better than he is right now.

He's a young QB in his 3rd system in 3 years who has had very little help on offense. Guess what happened when he finally got his #1 WR back? He tore apart SF's defense...arguably the NFL's best defense and he did it in SF.

I know I don't need to list all the "franchise" QBs who weren't dominant in their 3rd season.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

It could have a trickle down effect. Taking players with those picks allows them to select players they may not have normally taken, who then could become great players.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:

I wouldn't say that at all. 2 of the original 4 picks are already starters and look to have Pro Bowl futures.

4 very good starters are worth a very good QB especially if you have a good QB of your own.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Brodie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two first round picks from the Redskins very easily can turn into even more picks. Just like we did with the 6th pick. Even if Bradford somehow becomes a complete bust I would still do the trade 10 times out of 10. We could always just draft a QB again with one of those picks.

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
Khalid1287

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Redskins/Rams Trade for RG3 Reply with quote

The Rams got the better part of the deal. RG3 is an example of an NFL Bust. All he can do is run but he can't throw
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly did. The Rams were a team that needed young depth to build upon. They got that with the deal with the Redskins.

The 'Skins have a head coach who can build an offense to improve Griffin's abilities. Not only that, but his athleticism can make plays that the rest of the average-at-best offense could never make.

As long as the Redskins have a healthy Griffin, they will become a better team overall. They didn't need those picks to do that. They would have definitely helped; obviously. However, I doubt those players they could have picked instead (unless they somehow become HOF players) would carry that offense (or team) that Griffin already has, and will continue to do.

Look at him now. Can you imagine the impact he'll make in the NFL when he reaches his potential!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: