Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why is it so difficult for Cam to get the ball to Steve???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panthers 24/7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Why is it so difficult for Cam to get the ball to Steve??? Reply with quote

Just as the title states.... Steve usually gets targeted around 8-15 times per game but it ALWAYS seems that Cam is over and underthrowing him constantly! His accuracy with him is just so hit or miss for some reason, but im still trying to figure out why... I know hes 5'9" but steve's athletic abilities and vertical are second to none.

Maybe its just because i want him to get the ball so badly every single play, hopefully it changes in the near future!!

Cam Newton
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you said one of the reasons. Smith is 5'9. That is why he has a much easier time getting it to LaFell and Olsen, bigger targets.

But I don't think his throwing to Smith is any different than any other receiver on the team because Newton is an inconsistent thrower anyway due to his footwork. However, I will say, I believe it was the Denver game but I don't think Newton was missing Smith deep. It was just great coverage, Cam had to make sure it was far enough that if Smith couldn't get it, the DB couldn't either. He was relying on Smith getting under the pass and catching it. Something he might have been able to do three or even two years ago.
schulman116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Well, you said one of the reasons. Smith is 5'9. That is why he has a much easier time getting it to LaFell and Olsen, bigger targets.

There are many short WR's....thats no excuse for a pro QB. He gets lazy with his throws and constantly sails it 5-7 feet over Smitty. Cam just isn't a superstar yet. He needs to improve his footwork and overall attitude. When things go wrong, he needs to have a short memory, move on & don't let previous mistakes get in his head & cause more miscues. Maturity, been saying it since last season. Maybe we should just get him a 6'5 WR huh?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schulman116 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

There are many short WR's....thats no excuse for a pro QB. He gets lazy with his throws and constantly sails it 5-7 feet over Smitty. Cam just isn't a superstar yet. He needs to improve his footwork and overall attitude. When things go wrong, he needs to have a short memory, move on & don't let previous mistakes get in his head & cause more miscues. Maturity, been saying it since last season. Maybe we should just get him a 6'5 WR huh?

Well, yes it would be nice for him to get a bigger receiver.

Do you disagree that it is a lot easier for QBs to hit a guy the size of say LaFell than someone like Smith?

I never said it should be used as an excuse. Just merely saying Smith being 5'9 is one of the reasons why you see balls too high for him that maybe wouldn't be too high for LaFell or Olsen.
atown703

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith might be small but don't underestimate Mighty Mouse. He can still go up there and get them high jump balls better than most

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a Steve Smith problem. It's that the defense always rolls coverage his way and Cam being off with his throws. Additionally it doesn't help when the other WR's only step up on an inconsistent basis imo.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be wide open at least 3 times this week. So if Cam sees him it should work out.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
haggis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is it so difficult for Cam to get the ball to Steve? Reply with quote

Panthers 24/7 wrote:
Just as the title states.... Steve usually gets targeted around 8-15 times per game but it ALWAYS seems that Cam is over and underthrowing him constantly! His accuracy with him is just so hit or miss for some reason, but im still trying to figure out why... I know hes 5'9" but steve's athletic abilities and vertical are second to none.

Maybe its just because i want him to get the ball so badly every single play, hopefully it changes in the near future!!

Steve Smith has as many catches and yards by himself as the rest of the entire WR group.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What's that one?"

"That's the Steve Cam. I don't trust you."

"I'm outta here".

This explains everything Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lp8ZX1x1UE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: