Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early....but offseason moves?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badfish87

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Early....but offseason moves? Reply with quote

Resign Knighton, Middleton, Jennings, Cox, Britton

I would not trade MJD. His pay is too low to jusify the trade.

The Jags have plenty of cap space. If they wanted to try building their team around a young, dominant d-line, they could spend money on Cliff Avril and Glenn Dorsey. If you draft Jarvis Jones 1 or 2 overall and sign those two guys, along with Mincey and resigning Knighton...they could have a very competitive front seven, though I'd still like to see another rotational lineman.

I'd then take EJ Manuel in the second, to provide some competition at QB, but he is more of a developmental guy, so would be better off as a backup for at least one more year while you judge Gabbert....then you have more options moving forward if Gabbert busts.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would LOVE to see what Glenn Dorsey could do if the price was right

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think that Jennings gets resigned.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resign Cox and Britton. Don't care about Jennings. Draft Jones or Te'o in round one, RB in round 2, QB in 3.
Trade MJD.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not re-sign Jennings? Have people really soured on him that much, so quickly? In the preseason people were all over him here it seemed.

Besides, assuming he continues to show he is inadequate as the sole 'feature back', how much do you really think he's going to demand $$$ wise? He should come at a very reasonable price, and honestly, i don't think he's been half as bad as some make it sound. Is he a lesser back than MJD? Yes. Does our O-Line leave something to be desired? Yes. Does he need a lot of help, particularly when it comes to running between the tackles? Yes. Does he bring interesting elements to our offense as a potential complementary back? ...imo, Yes.

Hard to imagine a reason for letting him go as far as i'm concerned. Assuming he's willing to sign another reasonble deal to stay here, doesn't hurt to keep the guy around.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Early....but offseason moves? Reply with quote

Badfish87 wrote:
Resign Knighton, Middleton, Jennings, Cox, Britton

I would not trade MJD. His pay is too low to jusify the trade.

The Jags have plenty of cap space. If they wanted to try building their team around a young, dominant d-line, they could spend money on Cliff Avril and Glenn Dorsey. If you draft Jarvis Jones 1 or 2 overall and sign those two guys, along with Mincey and resigning Knighton...they could have a very competitive front seven, though I'd still like to see another rotational lineman.

I'd then take EJ Manuel in the second, to provide some competition at QB, but he is more of a developmental guy, so would be better off as a backup for at least one more year while you judge Gabbert....then you have more options moving forward if Gabbert busts.

MJD's value is likely to be quite low, but i'm not sure i'm on the same page regarding his price/value ratio here. He's clearly getting older, tons of wear on the tires, how much is really left in the tank? I think you also have to consider that next year will be his last on the deal, and he wants a big $$$ extension. Is that smart? So it's less about what he'll cost next year, and more about what he'll cost moving forward (and more realistically, what he'll cost leaving for nothing as a FA). This team isn't going to win the superbowl next year. So personally, i'd lean much more towards building for the future...and sadly, i don't think MJD is going to last long enough as an elite back to be part of that.

Both Avril and Dorsey seem like interesting targets in FA. Wouldn't mind throwing some reasonable money at either, and getting both would be a pretty dramatic remodelling of our D-Line. But i'm not convinced on the idea we'd be able to lure both here without overspending by a fair bit on both. Avril is definitely a guy i wouldn't mind overspending a bit to get here though.

Also a big fan of the 'developmental QB' idea. Though Manuel is definitely not my favourite option. I really do think that makes the most sense though, to draft a 2nd/3rd round QB and let them sit for a year while we sort out where Gabbert is headed. Especially in this year's QB class which is just entirely underwhelming to me at the top.

Jaguarfan wrote:
Resign Cox and Britton. Don't care about Jennings. Draft Jones or Te'o in round one, RB in round 2, QB in 3.
Trade MJD.

Britton to me is a guy that i don't much care if he's re-signed or not. I would be fine with him returning on a cheap deal, but he hasn't really shown he can stay healthy, be a solid starter, or be worth a substantial contract really. If he's going to be a starting RT, that's worth examining...but it doesn't seem as though that's going to be the case..

If we're going to throw some FA money around at the O-Line problem, i'd much rather target a guy like Andy Levitre out of Buffalo to play G for us, even if he doesn't come cheap.
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you resign Britton when he can't stay on the field that makes no sense.
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether he's at RT or LG, Britton is horrible. No need to waste money on him.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd be fine if we're keeping him around as depth, and paying him accordingly. But other than that, yeah. Really could care less if he goes.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Whether he's at RT or LG, Britton is horrible. No need to waste money on him.

even if he is that bad, our depth isnt all that good even before the injuries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let Britton test free agency & if he doesn't sign anywhere resign him to a minimum contract just for depth. Honestly, we should be able to upgrade his position with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

-charles
jagman777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

britton can leave forever as far as i'm concerned

dude stinks
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
let Britton test free agency & if he doesn't sign anywhere resign him to a minimum contract just for depth. Honestly, we should be able to upgrade his position with a 3rd or 4th rounder.

-charles

Yeah. Realistically speaking...we replaced Britton with an UDFA actually. Laughing
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we desperately need to upgrade the OL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
charles shelton wrote:

-charles

Yeah. Realistically speaking...we replaced Britton with an UDFA actually. Laughing

twice. 1st Bradfield now Brew. sad story for a good dude like EB.

give props to - Pick6_Finnegan - for the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: