Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wes Welker
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Wes Welker Reply with quote

It is likely New England will not re-sign Welker. He is a year older and I dont think we would have to mortgage the house to get him. He would fit in perfectly with Peyton replacing Stokely as our slot guy. We would not have to use an early pick on a WR in next year's draft instead picking one in the mid to late rounds to develop.

Does anyone else see the wisdom in this idea? I dont expect Denver to sign a lot of free agents going forward seeing the number of good young players we will have to re-sign in the short term future. However, if we do sign 2 or 3 free agents this off season, I would love to have Welker as one. He would make our offense almost unstoppable.

On a side note, I think Peyton Hillis will also be a free agent this off season. His price tag is definitely a lot cheaper now. We could bring him him on a short term deal. In my view, he is definitely better than Moreno/Ball and I think he could still be very effective on our team. This would give us cover for McGahee next season while Hillman progresses as the change of pace back. Frankly speaking I would love to see the Broncos devote the up coming draft entirely to defense.

After the next draft our rebuild will be complete and our defense shored up for years. Going forward we could just pick the best player available or replacements for those guys we decide are expendable. I think we can hold off on a premier RB till 2014. Thoughts?
ihatepotholes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why fix something that's not broken? Stokely is doing fine, Peyton manning even said he wouldn't trade stokely for any other slot WR.
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be incredible if we added the top slot receiver, but I have a feeling that it is simply not feasible.

Peyton Manning: $20M (+?)
Elvis Dumervil: $12M
Champ Bailey: $9M

Ryan Clady will be seeking a large contract after a so far great statistical season.
Von Miller has earned an extension.

I just have a feeling that there isn't the money to offer what Welker might be seeking.
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ihatepotholes wrote:
Why fix something that's not broken? Stokely is doing fine, Peyton manning even said he wouldn't trade stokely for any other slot WR.

Stokely is making next to nothing. We can keep him even if we got Welker who is much younger and has a lot more productive years left.

Tracy Porter's $4 million is likely coming off the books as is DJ William's salary. Our salary cap is not that bad going forward. We could afford to give Welker a 3 years deal in neighborhood of 27 million. His salary would come off the books just as the next wave of young players hit free agency. And Denver would definitely be one of the top choices for Wes. Who would not want to play with Peyton?
Cruzp23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should try take amendola away from the rams and should also look at bringing in ray edwards while doom is under a injury cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruzp23 wrote:
i think we should try take amendola away from the rams and should also look at bringing in ray edwards while doom is under a injury cloud

Lets not get carried away. We dont need Edwards. Dumerville practiced today without any limitations. Besides we have Ayers and Malik Jackson. No need for an under performing over rated defensive end who is unlikely to play better than the folks we have on the roster.

P.S-I only mentioned Welker as a FA because Stokely is 36 years old and we have no depth behind him at that position. Welker would be a critical addition.
dbronx42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Doom a lot, but my god he is overpaid. We payed the price for him being a free agent after the 17 sack season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
I like Doom a lot, but my god he is overpaid. We payed the price for him being a free agent after the 17 sack season.

Per Rotoworld Dumervil's contract numbers are:

7/22/2010: Signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal contains $43.156 million guaranteed, including a $3 million signing bonus and Dumervil's first, second, and third years' base salaries. 2010: 3 million, 2011: 14 million, 2012: $14 million, 2013: $12 million, 2014: $10 million, 2015: $8,193,335, 2016: Free Agent.

Based on the above info, this is the last year of Doom's guaranteed part of the contract. After this season he would have earned 43 million of the contract. Since his signing bonus was only 3 million, there would be little or no dead money were he to be cut or traded after this season.

This is why it is disappointing that Ayers has not emerged as the star some thought he would be. It would make it easier to ask Elvis to take a pay cut or to trade him. Next season he makes 10 million and 9 million in the final year. I definitely think Dumervil will be a prime candidate to be asked by the front office to restructure. I doubt he will take a pay cut becos at an average of 1o million over the next 2 years, there are plenty pass rush starved teams that would pay that. For a player still under 30, Elvis has value.

Best case scenario he takes less money in exchange for more guarantees and a conversion of salary to signing bonus.
Donut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
ihatepotholes wrote:

Stokely is making next to nothing. We can keep him even if we got Welker who is much younger and has a lot more productive years left.

I dont know how many years he has left. I think next year he will have another good yr and declining begins. After he was tagged most I would've given was 3 yrs and at best 2 years.
Cruzp23 wrote:

I really like Amendola. He's a Welker clone but w/ injury issues but more reliable catching the ball especially running deeper patterns. I hope NE signs him instead of paying Welker.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
hibdib31

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
This is why it is disappointing that Ayers has not emerged as the star some thought he would be.

Did Ayers play both sides of the line at Tennessee? When Dumervil was out for the season two year ago, Robert started at ROLB in the 3-4 across from Jason Hunter. What I guess I am getting at is, maybe Ayers is one of those players who is more comfortable and productive rushing from one side of the line.

One of PFF's articles recently about Ray Edwards led me to this thought:
Quote:
...the difference was evident in Edwards’s ability to generate pressure. When he was lined up as a defensive left end he picked up a pressure on 9.5% of pass rushes. When he rushed from the right side he picked up a pressure on 5.4% of plays.

Edwards is still only 27 years old despite his six years of NFL experience, and has proven himself to be a capable every-down player in the right scheme. The next question is where is that right scheme. He’s a bigger, more powerful defensive end who’s best fit is likely on the left side. The league isn’t short on those types of players. The Browns have their Jabaal Sheard. The Saints have their Cameron Jordan. The Bills have their Mario Williams.

Ayers is listed as the second RDE on the depth chart since camp, I believe, so maybe the coaches agree that is his best position. He got a opportunity to step up last weekend with Dumervil injured, and he really took advantage of it. If Dumervil is out or limited (reported as questionable at the moment), Ayers will get another shot to make his case at RDE in a favorable matchup against San Diego's tackles.

I'm personally rooting for him to do well. Ayers must be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder since his demotion to a second team/sub-package player. If he does step it up once again, and prove down the remainder of the stretch that he is a worthy starting RDE, then my oh my the Denver Broncos have a nice "problem" on their hands.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
What makes it even worse is we had no choice at the time, he was the only legit pass rusher we've had since Trevor Pryce and Neil Smith.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't imagine it ever happening. Your number of $27m over 3 years would be a huge cap hit and exorbitant for a 32 yo slot receiver. In short, a luxury we can't afford.

I'm also not quite as optimistic as you about our cap situation. Clady is due, Harris and Carter should get new contracts based on performance, WW the same. Within a year it'll get worse. It seems it will be tough enough to hold the present roster together over the next 2-3 years without adding a $9m hit annualy for a slot receiver.

Just my 2 cents.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Elway ever going after any real big name, and thus big money, free agents. Welker fits in that category. Manning was the exception because, well, he's Peyton Manning and our QBs at the time were Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn.

Elway's philosophy is to build through the draft by stacking multiple good drafts on top of one another (so far so good), resign our own free agents who play an important role here and use free agency only to round out the roster.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I don't see Elway ever going after any real big name, and thus big money, free agents. Welker fits in that category. Manning was the exception because, well, he's Peyton Manning and our QBs at the time were Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn.

Elway's philosophy is to build through the draft by stacking multiple good drafts on top of one another (so far so good), resign our own free agents who play an important role here and use free agency only to round out the roster.

What is your definition of rounding out the roster? What type of players would fit under your scenario this up coming free agency period?

I ask becos if we are going for it all next season which I presume we will, a marquee free agent on a short term deal could equally fit under the concept of "rounding out the roster."

I agree with you that we will be a team that builds through the draft and resigns its own players instead of going after big name big money free agents.
With what Welker can do for this team offensively, is a two year offer for around 18 million guaranteed too much? At 32 I dont see too many teams giving him more than a 3 year deal. With Manning, and a chance at a Super Bowl he could give Denver a slight discount. If so, my view is that adding him to Thomas, Decker and our tight end corps along with McGahee/Hillman could make our offense the most lethal in the NFL.

Last edited by mke1010 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

What is your definition of rounding out the roster? What type of players would fit your under your scenario this up coming free agency period?

I ask becos if we are going for it all next season which I presume we will, a marquee free agent on a short term deal could equally fit under the concept of "rounding out the roster."

I agree with you that we will be a team that builds through the draft and resigns its own players instead of going after big name big money free agents.
With what Welker can do for this team offensively, is a two year offer for around 18 million guaranteed too much? At 32 I dont see too many teams giving him more than a 3 year deal. With Manning, and a chance at a Super Bowl he could give Denver a slight discount. If so, my view is that adding him to Thomas, Decker and our tight end corps along with McGahee/Hillman could make our offense the most lethal in the NFL.

When he talks about rounding out the roster he's talking about signing non marquee free agents but good players either role players or guys that can start but no stars. Building through the draft and having good depth throughout the rost is always fantastic way to to go. As for guys rounding out a roster would just be picking up guys on reasonable contracts to play roles. Like from last offseason Tamme, Caldwell, Stokely ect... cheap deals to be solid players and contributors and didnt break the bank but they do what is expected from them at fair price. It'd be easier to give a list of guys but I honestly am not sue who is a FA from other teams outside of bigger names.

Welker was rumored to want a 3 year 22 mill(NE's best was 2 years 16 mill) before the season. I'd assume he's probably going to want that this offseason. Though i don't think that he'd give Denver a discount compared to NE, he wants to get paid. Though I don't think it'd make sense to think he'd take a discount elsewhere where he has no connection too.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: