Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wes Welker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2475
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what would seem more of an Elway FA move than a potential Welker signing: Going after Josh Cribbs as our new slot/gadget WR. Certainly not a receiver like Wes or Amendola, but less expensive and less injury prone. A low-profile player in the mold of Dreessen who - once utilized correctly - might turn into a rejuvenated veteran.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Elway and Company's strategy seems pretty obvious. They will sign one big time player and a few role player types.

However, I don't think Wes Welker is a big time receiver anymore. Then again, the man has a knack for getting open and Manning is the kind of QB that will find him. It is obvious the Broncos will go after depth in the WR positions. I don't think a rookie could necessarily come in and learn the offense and get on the same page as Manning. But a savvy vet like Welker could.

I still don't know why the Broncos don't go after Plaxico. He is deadly in the red zone. You just have to throw it up to him and he will go get the ball. This is my opinion, but I could be wrong.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18533
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
I still don't know why the Broncos don't go after Plaxico. He is deadly in the red zone. You just have to throw it up to him and he will go get the ball. This is my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Aside from being a red zone threat, I don't see what role Plaxico would play on this team. And, in our offense, I do not see how he would be a better red zone option than DT, Decker, Dreessen or Stokley. I could see how he could be used but I think Elway and Fox are happy with what we've got and, given the results, I cannot disagree.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1769
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trotter over at ESPN was speculating that the Jaguars will more than likely move Maurice Drew Jones this off season. He thinks they wont sign him to a long term deal and only kept him this season despite trade offers to make a point. He lists Denver as one of three likely destinations.

Is this a more likely scenario than Welker? At 28, would you give up a 3rd rounder for MDJ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21978
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Trotter over at ESPN was speculating that the Jaguars will more than likely move Maurice Drew Jones this off season. He thinks they wont sign him to a long term deal and only kept him this season despite trade offers to make a point. He lists Denver as one of three likely destinations.

Is this a more likely scenario than Welker? At 28, would you give up a 3rd rounder for MDJ?


100% yes I would. I don't think Welker is a likely scenario for this team at all, honestly.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:
I still don't know why the Broncos don't go after Plaxico. He is deadly in the red zone. You just have to throw it up to him and he will go get the ball. This is my opinion, but I could be wrong.

Aside from being a red zone threat, I don't see what role Plaxico would play on this team. And, in our offense, I do not see how he would be a better red zone option than DT, Decker, Dreessen or Stokley. I could see how he could be used but I think Elway and Fox are happy with what we've got and, given the results, I cannot disagree.


I agree with you, that Fox and et al, are happy with the production this year in producing touchdowns versus field goals. Hell, I am happy about that; it's refreshing. However, if the Broncos are looking for depth at WR; why not Plaxico? He is/was a viable WR target. Even last year he played pretty well after being incarcerated for two years.

And, I am frankly worried that if DT ever gets hurt again, where does the WR corp. stand? I mean, look at the RB situation now. If McGahee is injured, we have Hillman, Ball, and Moreno. I like the aforementioned RBs as viable backups, and they do a good job in giving McGahee a breather and a change of pace. But, that is it.

Fortunately for the Broncos now, in free agency and in the draft, the Broncos can spend their time on providing depth at positions versus looking for impact players. But, I think as receivers go, those are tough positions to pick. I mean, I understand the Broncos drafted Brandon Marshall, DT, and Deck; but there have been more misses than hits at that position. And, I think a guy like Plaxico wouldn't have to adjust so much to Manning as a rookie would. Or, in this case, either would Welker. Hell, sign them both up. I mean, with Deck's injury history and DT's history; these two WRs could really step in and perhaps not miss a beat with the offense.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 7822
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Trotter over at ESPN was speculating that the Jaguars will more than likely move Maurice Drew Jones this off season. He thinks they wont sign him to a long term deal and only kept him this season despite trade offers to make a point. He lists Denver as one of three likely destinations.

Is this a more likely scenario than Welker? At 28, would you give up a 3rd rounder for MDJ?


100% yes I would. I don't think Welker is a likely scenario for this team at all, honestly.


Who knows how likely it is, but even at MJD's age and wear i would love to have him at a reasonable cost.

We'll see if Hillman can pick it up with McGahee out, but right now RB depth looks like a legitimate concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! A healthy MJD in this offense...and a full training camp under his belt...I'd take that signing...BINGO!
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8280
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
Trotter over at ESPN was speculating that the Jaguars will more than likely move Maurice Drew Jones this off season. He thinks they wont sign him to a long term deal and only kept him this season despite trade offers to make a point. He lists Denver as one of three likely destinations.

Is this a more likely scenario than Welker? At 28, would you give up a 3rd rounder for MDJ?


100% yes I would. I don't think Welker is a likely scenario for this team at all, honestly.

Real question should be:
How much is he going to cost?
Does he still want the ridiculous contract he wanted before the season?

If thats the case, no. Hes on the last year of his deal so he may be looking for a big extension. No way this Front Office gives him the 5yr/$40+M deal he wants.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His birthday may say he's 28, but his workload begs to differ.
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 1371
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJD would be great. He has a ton of wear, but as we are in a 'win now' mode, I would give our 3rd round pick for him. We dont know how Willis will be next year, I dont like the RB class in this upcoming draft and I dont see any FA options. MJD would be a great pickup.

Then agian, this all depends on his contract. He isnt going to get near the $$$ he wants, especially from a team like Denver that is probably going to have to soon pay the highest LT salary and OLB salary in the NLF while also paying the highest QB salary in the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5131
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of follow up on jerseys point about financing and it's kind of an eye opener.

Next year, 9 players make up a $77 mil cap hit. That only leaves about $45 mil for the rest of the roster. Eighteen players next year become FA,s with only 4 RFA's. Those guys include Clady, Tony Carter, T. Porter. Stokely, Colquitt, Vickerson ...
Quite a list. Lots of starters and ST contributors.

Another 15 become FA's in 2014 including Decker, WW and Chris Harris. How many will we want to hit the FA Market?
Anyway, the gist is we've got a lot of work to do just to sign our own. Hard to imagine bringing in any high priced FA with the cap situation we're finding ourselves in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18533
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Did a bit of follow up on jerseys point about financing and it's kind of an eye opener.

Next year, 9 players make up a $77 mil cap hit. That only leaves about $45 mil for the rest of the roster. Eighteen players next year become FA,s with only 4 RFA's. Those guys include Clady, Tony Carter, T. Porter. Stokely, Colquitt, Vickerson ...
Quite a list. Lots of starters and ST contributors.

Another 15 become FA's in 2014 including Decker, WW and Chris Harris. How many will we want to hit the FA Market?
Anyway, the gist is we've got a lot of work to do just to sign our own. Hard to imagine bringing in any high priced FA with the cap situation we're finding ourselves in.

I'm not too concerned about it. Elway and Mike Sullivan will find ways to manipulate the numbers - changing designations on bonuses, restructuring, etc - and allow us to keep our key players, our role-players and add some middle-tier FAs here and there.

But I don't see us going after any big-name, big-price FAs like Welker. It's not even about the numbers, it doesn't jive with Elway's philosophy of building through the draft.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21978
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Did a bit of follow up on jerseys point about financing and it's kind of an eye opener.

Next year, 9 players make up a $77 mil cap hit. That only leaves about $45 mil for the rest of the roster. Eighteen players next year become FA,s with only 4 RFA's. Those guys include Clady, Tony Carter, T. Porter. Stokely, Colquitt, Vickerson ...
Quite a list. Lots of starters and ST contributors.

Another 15 become FA's in 2014 including Decker, WW and Chris Harris. How many will we want to hit the FA Market?
Anyway, the gist is we've got a lot of work to do just to sign our own. Hard to imagine bringing in any high priced FA with the cap situation we're finding ourselves in.

I'm not too concerned about it. Elway and Mike Sullivan will find ways to manipulate the numbers - changing designations on bonuses, restructuring, etc - and allow us to keep our key players, our role-players and add some middle-tier FAs here and there.

But I don't see us going after any big-name, big-price FAs like Welker. It's not even about the numbers, it doesn't jive with Elway's philosophy of building through the draft.


Agreed, I'm not worried. Also, I think the whole Patriot Way philosophy will show itself in at least one way....

We won't add that marquee free agent signing until it's necessary to do so. I don't think Elway is against doing so, it just needs to be feasible and practical.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5131
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Did a bit of follow up on jerseys point about financing and it's kind of an eye opener.

Next year, 9 players make up a $77 mil cap hit. That only leaves about $45 mil for the rest of the roster. Eighteen players next year become FA,s with only 4 RFA's. Those guys include Clady, Tony Carter, T. Porter. Stokely, Colquitt, Vickerson ...
Quite a list. Lots of starters and ST contributors.

Another 15 become FA's in 2014 including Decker, WW and Chris Harris. How many will we want to hit the FA Market?
Anyway, the gist is we've got a lot of work to do just to sign our own. Hard to imagine bringing in any high priced FA with the cap situation we're finding ourselves in.

I'm not too concerned about it. Elway and Mike Sullivan will find ways to manipulate the numbers - changing designations on bonuses, restructuring, etc - and allow us to keep our key players, our role-players and add some middle-tier FAs here and there.

But I don't see us going after any big-name, big-price FAs like Welker. It's not even about the numbers, it doesn't jive with Elway's philosophy of building through the draft.


Agreed, I'm not worried. Also, I think the whole Patriot Way philosophy will show itself in at least one way....

We won't add that marquee free agent signing until it's necessary to do so. I don't think Elway is against doing so, it just needs to be feasible and practical.


We're all agreeing here. The point I made was merely to emphasize the fact that High priced FA's don't fit the bill.

Onre thing that's never mentioned about the Pats is the number of compensatory picks they get when losing their own FA's. Denver seems headed down that path. It's a great way to keep the cupboard stocked with in house developed talent. Harris, Carter and WW are perfect examples. All undrafted, but all would garner Denver picks if signed away as FA's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group