Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Browns QB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: 2013 Browns QB Reply with quote

1. Weeden wakes up and shows he is NFL QB. Banner decides he is the franchise QB and we build around him.
2. McCoy wins job in training camp beating out Weeden.
3. FA acquisition.
4. Trade either Weeden or McCoy plus draft pick for veteran.
5. Draft Smith or Barkley or best QB for west coast offense.

Right now, these are our alternatives for 2013 QB and I put the list in order by my likelihood of happening. Haslam and Banner are certainly making the big decision on Weeden as he is no longer a rookie. Unless things improve in 3-4 games 9, I suspect we will see McCoy.

Haslam and Banner will need to make the GM and HC and OC decision for 2013 before they make final decision on QB. The off season will certainly be entertaining for the Browns. Bottom line is QB decision is imperative to offense and what personnel are required to build on his skill set.
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Browns QB Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
1. Weeden wakes up and shows he is NFL QB. Banner decides he is the franchise QB and we build around him.
3. FA acquisition.

Right now, these are our alternatives for 2013 QB and I put the list in order by my likelihood of happening. Haslam and Banner are certainly making the big decision on Weeden as he is no longer a rookie. Unless things improve in 3-4 games 9, I suspect we will see McCoy.

Haslam and Banner will need to make the GM and HC and OC decision for 2013 before they make final decision on QB. The off season will certainly be entertaining for the Browns. Bottom line is QB decision is imperative to offense and what personnel are required to build on his skill set.

I think 1 and 5 are the only real possibilities personally
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't draft one.

We won't finish with the 1st pick and the Chiefs will. They will take Geno.

If we even think for a moment about taking Barkley, I will murder.

There are no FA or trades.

Colt is not the answer.

Unless Weeden completely flames out this next 7 weeks, he is our guy for next year.

there are no other real alternatives.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!

Last edited by nugpimpen on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt McCoy sees the field the end of this year unless Weedon gets injured. Weeden is the QB the rest of the season and next. It would take something major for that to change. THe browns are not drafting a new QB at this point.

Last edited by Dropkick_pride on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Browns QB Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
bigdogsandiego wrote:
3. FA acquisition.

I think 1 and 5 are the only real possibilities personally

I agree. If Weeden craps the bed from here on out, they may bail on him and draft someone. Otherwise, he will probably get another full season as the starter.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of #5, what guarantees that we take a QB specifically designed for the West Coast offense? Odds are Shurmur's out and that doesn't mean we stick with the same offensive scheme.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
In terms of #5, what guarantees that we take a QB specifically designed for the West Coast offense? Odds are Shurmur's out and that doesn't mean we stick with the same offensive scheme.

Only things I can think of is because Banner was with FO's that ran the WCO.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

Only things I can think of is because Banner was with FO's that ran the WCO.

Banner will let the coach decide I'm sure.... So unless they hire a coach that wants to run a spread option read offense with a running QB I am pretty sure weeden stays.

Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign vick once he gets cut just to sell tickets. Haslem needs to make his money back
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
Sign vick once he gets cut just to sell tickets. Haslem needs to make his money back

Sign Vick and Tebow and draft the kid frm Kansas state? Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
sdrawkcab321 wrote:

Sign Vick and Tebow and draft the kid frm Kansas state? Shocked Laughing

A 3-QB set offense would be innovative. Considering Paul Brown invented the west coast offense it would be fitting........

To the OP, Weeden will probably get another year, even if it's by default. There is no other option for an immediate upgrade. There is no stud, can't miss, franchise QB in this year's draft. And nobody worth looking at as a starter in FA.

The only option I see is trading for a starter. Would think SF and New England may be willing to trade their backups, but keep in mind that we don't have a 2nd round pick.

Trading future or multiple picks isn't a good option and doesn't prove that we will get a viable upgrade over Weeden. Best bet is to stick with him another year and build up the defense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 Browns QB Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
3. FA acquisition.

I debated whether of not to respond to your post because you used language that suggests that Weeden needs to "wake up" and "show" he is an NFL QB.

Perhaps it is you that needs to "wake up" and "show" why he is not an NFL QB.

I feel like you would be well served by looking at the history of rookie QBs. Ask yourself why they all tend to struggle and play inconsistently.
Ask yourself why teams historically don't spend consecutive 1st round draft picks on the QB position.

Weeden is nowhere near a "bust" at this time. He has several skills he needs to work on, but is that unusual? Will a different QB skip the development process?

I think it's rather concerning that some people are so unfamiliar with how football works that they seem to truly believe that there is a "magic" component to success. See, it would take "magic" to bypass fundamental concepts like "player development".

If the season ended today, Weeden is the best option at QB moving forward. Anyone disagree? I assume the OP does because he started a thread that suggests that the team, right now, should think about McCoy, 2013 draft picks, or some unknown vet to play QB going forward.

McCoy has already been outplayed by Weeden. Start a thread about it if you disagree. 2013 draft picks are unknown, so there can be no serious analysis of why they could be any better, especially when you consider that they, too, will be rookies. And unknown vets? Sure, you can imagine an unknown vet being better than Weeden pretty easily, but it is still imaginary.

Is this about the recent comments made by the new regime regarding using the next 7 games to determine if Weeden is the guy going forward? Well, it would be pretty stupid and incompetent to say that Weeden is the starter next year no matter what, right?

Anyone think Luck, RG3, and Tannehill are not going to be evaluated the same way? How about the vets? Every player will be evaluated. They are all frequently evaluated.

Now the real question is: What does Weeden need to do better in the next 7 games to make his job safe next year?

My answer is simple:
Complete a higher percentage of passes
Throw more TDs
Throw less INTs

I'll tell you right know that if he does that, his job is safe, even if we don't win another game (which would be very unlikely).

Even if he doesn't do that, it will be no guarantee that he is replaced next year. So the next question is: What does Weeden have to do to lose his job?

This answer is a little complicated, but here's a beginning to the answer...
Commit a serious crime
Devastating injury
Play at the level he played during the Eagles game, for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Entropy here...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Agree with Entropy here...

Me too, even though I didn't read it. But, I will later.

If Weeden craps the bed the next 7 games it will still be better than what McCoy could do. What Quinn could do. What Anderson could do once teams realized he made one throw with any accuracy.

Weeden will be talked about as a top 10 QB next year. He may even get in the conversation at the end of this year. Trust me, he has what it takes, and I haven't said that about any QB since our return.

(Not that I know anything, I really don't...But I'ma saying it anyway)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden is most definitely a viable option as a starting QB, I'm just worried that the incoming FO will be to vested in finding their guy, that they'll completely disregard the promise Weeden has shown.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: