Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gabe Carimi = Poor Man's Chris Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronickerr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Gabe Carimi = Poor Man's Chris Williams Reply with quote

He flat out SUCKS! Next step, guard. If he can't hang there, cut in year 4
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say, as a Badger fan I thought he'd at worst turn out to be a solid starting tackle in the NFL, but man he looked terrible tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe why seattle passed on him for james carpenter
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stoped watching the game just after the 2nd half started and drove in to town and got pretty drunk. That was so hard to watch the Offense line as a HOLE. Did they fair any better?

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
1-Rush for 4 yards. HALL OF FAME!
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:
I stoped watching the game just after the 2nd half started and drove in to town and got pretty drunk. That was so hard to watch the Offense line as a HOLE. Did they fair any better?
No. I don't know what was going on but it was four quarters of bad.

How did Carimi turn out to be such a disappointment? Is it lingering effects from his knee injury? He just seems to be coming up short in so many aspects of his game, he seemed like a rock solid RT prospect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were many who thought he was an extremely safe pick as a RT but I always was a bit worried about his ability against speed rushers. Even I didn't think he would struggle this badly against them though. He's really not thick to begin with, so his lack of athleticism is a huge concern to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

It got worse.
bzane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

How did Carimi turn out to be such a disappointment? Is it lingering effects from his knee injury? He just seems to be coming up short in so many aspects of his game, he seemed like a rock solid RT prospect.

I mentioned in another O-line thread that Pro Football Weekly, in their draft prospectus that year, pegged Carimi as overrated- not athletic enough to handle speed rushers, and not a true power right tackle- they described him as more of a leaner and a shover than a guy who created any surge. He was also described as cocky- a player who had a high opinion of himself, not supported by the game tapes. Every draft year there are positions that thin- it might be argued that next April's draft will have no Luck or Griffin at QB- but teams with desperate needs will overdraft a player, just because he's the third- or fourth-best at his position. It appears that offensive tackle was a weak group in 2011- Tyron Smith alone at the top (and even he had question marks, a super-athletic prospect who would need development)- and the next tier of OT's after him- Carimi, Castonzo, Solder- all had issues.

In such cases you see guys who really are second round, or even third-round talents, being over-drafted in the first, just because of need. It may be that Carimi was a middle-round guy who was a reach in the first round. Thus far in his career it has seemed that PFW was right about him.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
TheGreatZepp wrote:
DABEARSLCF04 wrote:

I mentioned in another O-line thread that Pro Football Weekly, in their draft prospectus that year, pegged Carimi as overrated- not athletic enough to handle speed rushers, and not a true power right tackle- they described him as more of a leaner and a shover than a guy who created any surge. He was also described as cocky- a player who had a high opinion of himself, not supported by the game tapes. Every draft year there are positions that thin- it might be argued that next April's draft will have no Luck or Griffin at QB- but teams with desperate needs will overdraft a player, just because he's the third- or fourth-best at his position. It appears that offensive tackle was a weak group in 2011- Tyron Smith alone at the top (and even he had question marks, a super-athletic prospect who would need development)- and the next tier of OT's after him- Carimi, Castonzo, Solder- all had issues.

In such cases you see guys who really are second round, or even third-round talents, being over-drafted in the first, just because of need. It may be that Carimi was a middle-round guy who was a reach in the first round. Thus far in his career it has seemed that PFW was right about him.
I can attest that his ego was way too big for him, though I thought he was going to be a (+) pass protector from the right side. Maybe Aldon Smith just had his number but it wasn't the first time I saw him struggle this year. He had pretty good strength and movement in college, don't know what happened there, even if he gets blown up once in a while(everyone does), I expect him to win a lot more plays then he has been. Total disappointment, good news is it can only go up from here right?

I know premium positions always get overdrafted but as far as tackles go, I thought he graded out better then he's performed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find quality starting Olinemen in the third round as many third rounders start their rookie years and stick in the league. Even if Carimi was drafted too early in the first round, at worst we should be facing having overpaid him for his 'true' round value.

Our only hope is that he's still recovering from his injury.

For having an Oline background, I'm seeing pretty poor results from Tice and our Oline. Either that or we have the worst pile of dog poop talent on the Oline in the whole NFL.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carimi is a bust.

The problem was not that he was getting beat and giving up pressure, the problem was that he was not even competitive on a NFL field. At least Webb go bull rushed slowed him down and gave up a sack.

I have moved on from Carimi and the sooner the Bears admit the mistake the better.
rub10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, did he look bad. He was getting overpowered, out run, just out everything. He looked terrible. Carimi literally looked like he was one of those blocking dummies they use for practice. I dont know if he will be back next year if he keeps having these types of performances.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gabe Carimi = Poor Man's Chris Williams Reply with quote

Chronickerr wrote:
He flat out SUCKS! Next step, guard. If he can't hang there, cut in year 4
If you want to cut everyone who looked like crap last night there won't be enough players left to form a basketball squad.

Our world beating defense looked like it had never played a game and was just as bad as our offense. I mean they had their heads handed to them by a rookie and were baffled the entire game.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Gabe Carimi, Chris Williams, and Marc Columbo all have in common: 1st round OTs who sustained injuries and had their development stunted as a result of it.
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Carimi is a bust.

This word get thrown around far too hastily on these forums. You cannot pronounce a player a bust when he hasn't even plated two seasons. Having said that, Carimi did play horrible. I don't think that knee is going to ever be right again unfortunately and it may spell the doom of his career before long.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: