Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Do Teams Waste Mid-Round Picks On QB's?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Why Do Teams Waste Mid-Round Picks On QB's? Reply with quote

This is a bit of a bold statement but one that I think may be agreed on on a wide level but one that not an issue many people talk about.

Basically, all teams that spend a 3rd, 4th or 5th Round Pick on a QB have wasted that pick in my opinion, Why? Because QB's that have Franchise QB potential go in the 1st Round (Top 10 to be exact)

Pretty much every QB that gets selected outside of the 1st Round has serious issues be it height, arm strength, accuracy, reading defences, character issues or the system they played in college, and rarely, do these issues get resolved when they make the transition to the pros.

Recent examples of QB's taken outside of the top 2 rounds since 2008 are:

Kevin O'Connell
John David Booty
Dennis Dixon
Josh Johnson
Stephen McGee
Rhett Bomar
Nate Davis
Colt McCoy
Mike Kafka
Ryan Mallett
Ricky Stanzi
TJ Yates
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Kirk Cousins

Some of these guys have started games, 1 has even won a play-off game (surrounded by a Top 5 RB and a Top 5 Defense) but all of them no longer start and some are no longer in the league (unfair to judge 2012 Draft Class yet)

Now these guys are 3rd, 4th and 5th Round picks. You can even go as far as to include the 2nd Round as well where Chad Henne, Pat White, Jimmy Clausen, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick and Brock Osweiler were selected.

Now my point is that too many GM's are wasting picks on developmental, troubled or frankly, bad QB's with picks that are considered by people as valuable. Why spend a pick on a flawed prospect when it can be used on a prospect who has potential to be a franchise player at a different position? Yes, I know the draft is more art than science but selecting a 6'0, 190lb QB with a mediocre arm is a terrible decision - they are never going to take you to a Superbowl. Also, when there are 6'6, 270lb DE's out there who just need coaching, or there are RB's who maybe a little bit small but could be used as COP RB or a KR/PR.

I am not advocating the Al Davis approach and just drafting HWS guys but these mid-round QB's are only available because they are NOT going to be Franchise QB's for whatever reason. People will throw around the Tom Brady argument or the Drew Brees is only 6 feet tall but these players are the exceptions to a pretty valid rule.

Look at the list of players who were selcted post-2008 in the 3rd-5th Rounds. How many of those guys will/could lead an NFL Franchise to the Superbowl?

How many 3rd - 5th Round picks in those drafts would you want on your team? Just looking at those drafts I have seen an enormous amount of players that would be upgrades on my team and these aren't even guys who are exceptions, they have the physical measurables, but just needed coaching.

I think if I were in the position of some of these GM's I'd only draft a QB if I was in a position to grab a genuine, elite prospect who had very little flaws but also had the ability to be a Franchise QB. Even if I was drafting a player to groom behind a current veteran, I would spend a 1st Round Pick, just as the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers, or I would pick up a FA stop-gap and if that didn't work and the following season was a failure, I'd be able to draft an elite prospect in the top half of the 1st Round - where the elite prospects are, but at least I wouldn't have wasted a 3rd Round pick on a stop-gap QB who failed because he couldn't hit any deep passes, or didn't have the ability to read a defense, all things that would have shown up in the pre-draft scouting report.

Just wondering if I was on my own in thinking that teams that draft mid round QB's would be better off hedging their bets on other prospects who don't have obvious flaws in their ability to translate to the professional level.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Montana- 3rd round pick...
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know about those later round guys. Say a team drafts a guy in the first. They have to(or used to) see how he pans out for at least 3 years. One of those later round guys could be his backup. The thing here is those later round guys could maybe win a super bowl but nobody knows because he's rotting on the bench. I'm sure there are some gems out there but we never get to see them.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
PowerElite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need backups. Head coaches don't operate under the principle that most fans operate. That is the principle of if the starter gets injured it is best to tank the rest of the season for a better draft pick. Coaches want a guy that can win them some games when called upon.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Depth.

Grab a Free Agent. Use the 3rd Round Pick on a player who could potentially be elite in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supply and demand. NFL coaches have huge egos and believe they can win the lottery drafting a raw prospect in the mid rounds and turning him into a legitimate starter.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
You need backups. Head coaches don't operate under the principle that most fans operate. That is the principle of if the starter gets injured it is best to tank the rest of the season for a better draft pick. Coaches want a guy that can win them some games when called upon.

Most of these guys aren't even viable back-ups though? There are so many decent veteran back-up QB's that you could pick up and save yourself from wasting that pick on these (in some circumstances) noodle-armed, weak minded QB's.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mainly because of depth and the hope that he will show enough that he will translate draft picks.

Look at what guys like Shaub, Kolb, Feely, etc. fetched.

Every so often, you get a Brees, Montana, Brady, etc.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
PowerElite wrote:

Most of these guys aren't even viable back-ups though? There are so many decent veteran back-up QB's that you could pick up and save yourself from wasting that pick on these (in some circumstances) noodle-armed, weak minded QB's.

Teams often have a veteran backup, and a young backup... Team rarely have two young backups. Young being 2 NFL season and less.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You draft a mid round guy so you don't end up with Graham Harrell on your 53 man roster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
You draft a mid round guy so you don't end up with Graham Harrell on your 53 man roster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmlVLUBvbw

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
It's mainly because of depth and the hope that he will show enough that he will translate draft picks.

Look at what guys like Shaub, Kolb, Feely, etc. fetched.

Every so often, you get a Brees, Montana, Brady, etc.

Wasn't Brees selected in at #1 in round 2? Not really a mid-rounder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmlVLUBvbw

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000067579/Jenkins-fumble-recovery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
PowerElite wrote:

Can you name some of these "decent veteran back-up QBs that you could pick up"?

And what round were these veterans selected?

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: