Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Super material stops speeding bullets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not even planes so much as cars?

If this thing can stop bullets, two cars in a head on collision, going say, 50 mph, so 100mph impact - the cars should be fine. Clearly the airbags would deploy, but the idea of there being no damage or whatever?

the insurance industry would be pisssssed Laughing
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Riot shield? I think that's a pretty practical use, based on what I know.

Depending on how heavy the material is (<-- kinda stupid) it would definitely be a practical material ... even though riot shields are pretty good right now Laughing

Riot shields aren't bullet proof. Some of them are bullet resistant, but that's still a minority.

Like you said though, it would totally depend on the weight.

Judging by the thickness of it, it looks pretty light. That guys holding a hand sized chunk with no issues

What kind of logic is that? Laughing

I could hold a rock that size, no problem.

Try lifting a rock the size of a riot shield and you'll look like an idiot unless you're ridiculously huge. This is coming from a guy who spend a good amount of time last summer working at a rock quarry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Depending on how heavy the material is (<-- kinda stupid) it would definitely be a practical material ... even though riot shields are pretty good right now Laughing

Riot shields aren't bullet proof. Some of them are bullet resistant, but that's still a minority.

Judging by the thickness of it, it looks pretty light. That guys holding a hand sized chunk with no issues

Try lifting a rock the size of a riot shield and you'll look like an idiot unless you're ridiculously huge. This is coming from a guy who spend a good amount of time last summer working at a rock quarry.

Thats true...didn't think that one through, 3 AM alright man?! It looks like a jelly substance though, I doubt it would weigh more than the metal riot shields they use now.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Thats true...didn't think that one through, 3 AM alright man?! It looks like a jelly substance though, I doubt it would weigh more than the metal riot shields they use now.

It's got to have some rigidity though, or it wouldn't hold up it you tried to build anything out of it. I'd imagine it's a pretty dense material to be able to stop a bullet. My guess is that it's pretty heavy, and that's probably something they're still trying to work out.

But yeah, almost all ballistic shields need to have wheels to be practical. The shields that stop bullets are pretty damn heavy, so if his is light enough to not need wheels, its an improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

If this thing can stop bullets, two cars in a head on collision, going say, 50 mph, so 100mph impact - the cars should be fine. Clearly the airbags would deploy, but the idea of there being no damage or whatever?

No the stuff sorta surrounds the bullet ... if two cars were to hit eachother at 100mph and bounce off each other, the drivers would probably have severe backlash probably enough for it to be fatal.

Cars are supposed too take as much impact as possible to slow each other down at the slowest rate possible ... thus reducing the impact that it has on the body

I know there is a physics equation to explain this but its slipping my mind that the moment

Bolieve in Masai
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

No the stuff sorta surrounds the bullet ... if two cars were to hit eachother at 100mph and bounce off each other, the drivers would probably have severe backlash probably enough for it to be fatal.

Cars are supposed too take as much impact as possible to slow each other down at the slowest rate possible ... thus reducing the impact that it has on the body

I know there is a physics equation to explain this but its slipping my mind that the moment

Ahhh. Shows what kind of scientist NBT is.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Gmen4ev wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

M(momentum)=M(mass)V(velocity) I believe is the equation ... mass for the cars would vary of course ... but if a crash takes lets say 2 seconds and brings the total speed down from 100 to 60 while still being very fast and most likely fatal its more likely survivable than going 100.

But if the cars were to bounce off of each other and the crash would take say .3 seconds then it would only bring the speed down to say 90-95 making the impact/momentum greater and the chance of it being fatal much higher.

Bolieve in Masai
maes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about ballistics, but 9mm is pretty weak i thought... don't we already have material that can do this?
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maes wrote:
I don't know much about ballistics, but 9mm is pretty weak i thought... don't we already have material that can do this?

Yes and yes.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on/in the helmets!

R.I.P. Stylish
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Superman is worried.
nahhhh Wink

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah great stuff there, but how does it deal with the blunt force trauma generated by the bullets velocity

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Yeah great stuff there, but how does it deal with the blunt force trauma generated by the bullets velocity

My first thought is it would deal with it much better than vests we have now due it being a gel like substance

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Hope they can incorporate it into saving lives.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: