Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Barkley QB Southern California
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Matt Barkley QB Southern California Reply with quote

Matt Barkley, QB, USC

Quote:
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 230
40 time (projected): 4.74

Quote:
Stats:

2012: 226 of 349 (64.8%), 2,972 yards, 33 touchdowns, 13 interceptions
2011: 308 of 446 (69.1%), 3,528 yards, 39 touchdowns, 7 interceptions
2010: 236 of 377 (62.6%), 2,791 yards, 26 touchdowns, 12 interceptions
2009: 211 of 352 (59.9%), 2,735 yards, 15 touchdowns, 14 interceptions

Career: 12,026 yards, 113 touchdowns, 46 interceptions

Quote:
Game Film:

vs. Syracuse (2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgrEnfRlBVg

vs. Stanford (2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiBzzHdUaTQ

vs. Utah (2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIDYJzlZ2IA&feature=related

vs. Oregon (2012): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SfjfEyBgc

vs. UCLA (2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8hqpPL_SA

vs. Oregon (2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g3r3wYz_6I&feature=relmfu

vs. Arizona State (2011): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWxu0etXIhQ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on him as an NFL prospect?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USC's track record has to worry you in some ways, but Barkley is under a different regime than when the others came out. I think Barkley has a lot of good qualities about him, but is limited in terms of how great he can become. I was really high on Barkley coming into the season, but I haven't seen the big jump that I anticipated. He'll still probably be a top-10 pick though.
Nobody

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't run a 4.7.

Also he is going to be a bust if he keeps getting so much unworthy praise and stays a first rounder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
USC's track record has to worry you in some ways, but Barkley is under a different regime than when the others came out. I think Barkley has a lot of good qualities about him, but is limited in terms of how great he can become. I was really high on Barkley coming into the season, but I haven't seen the big jump that I anticipated. He'll still probably be a top-10 pick though.

If you watch his two best games from his junior year (vs. UCLA, @ Oregon) he looks like a guy with franchise quarterback potential. He looks really underwhelming this year compared to how he finished off his junior year at USC.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley's combine is going to make or break his draft stock. If he measures out well and puts zip on his passes all over the field I think he could be in contention for the first overall pick. If he comes in at 6'1" and doesn't spin the ball well I could see him falling out of the top ten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't draft him in the 1st

He doesn't have ideal NFL qb size
Arm is decent but nothing special
Not very mobile
He is still throwing too many int's

He needs to sit for a year or two IMO. If he gets drafted in the top 3 and is forced to start he will struggle a lot.
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley isn't very mobile in terms of picking up yards with his feet but he can move around the pocket and extend the play if he needs too. He's also good throwing the ball on those play action roll outs that have become a staple of the USC offense over the years.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His decision making worries me at times. He has an arm that can make all the throws, it is now going to jump off the screen at you, but his arm is in the same bracket that Andrew Lucks is.

I like his ability to move inside the pocket and avoid the rush. He resets well, squares well and throws well on the run. He has a lot of responsibility in the offense that he runs, he has full command of the line of scrimmage and knows that offense inside and out mentally. He is very efficient when the field gets small (Inside the 10 yard line).

I was really big on Barkley after watching what he did in 2011, but he has been a bit careless with the football in 2012 thus far, he is making poor decisions and throwing the ball into spots he should not be. He has upside because of his mental ability and the ability to put the ball where it needs to be on any and all NFL routes (Except probably the 10-12 yard out from the opposite hash, though that is a throw rarely made in the NFL anyway).

Not a guy I would be comfortable taking in the top 5, but in that 8-12 range I would be happy taking him based on what I have seen in 2011. Not an elite prospect by any stretch, but the position he plays, the track record, the head on his shoulders, he is going to end up in that sort of a range.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
His decision making worries me at times. He has an arm that can make all the throws, it is now going to jump off the screen at you, but his arm is in the same bracket that Andrew Lucks is.

I like his ability to move inside the pocket and avoid the rush. He resets well, squares well and throws well on the run. He has a lot of responsibility in the offense that he runs, he has full command of the line of scrimmage and knows that offense inside and out mentally. He is very efficient when the field gets small (Inside the 10 yard line).

I was really big on Barkley after watching what he did in 2011, but he has been a bit careless with the football in 2012 thus far, he is making poor decisions and throwing the ball into spots he should not be. He has upside because of his mental ability and the ability to put the ball where it needs to be on any and all NFL routes (Except probably the 10-12 yard out from the opposite hash, though that is a throw rarely made in the NFL anyway).

Not a guy I would be comfortable taking in the top 5, but in that 8-12 range I would be happy taking him based on what I have seen in 2011. Not an elite prospect by any stretch, but the position he plays, the track record, the head on his shoulders, he is going to end up in that sort of a range.

I think he's going to struggle throwing intermediate sideline routes outside the hashes. I can't see him being successful throwing the intermediate or deep out and the intermediate or deep comeback.

I also don't like how much of his body he has to put into intermediate and deep throws. Brings back memories of Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen. The issue those guys had once they got to the NFL is that they couldn't throw the ball downfield because they couldn't put their body into it anymore since they were having to operate while wading through trash.

That'll be an issue for Barkley. I'm quite worried about him frankly.

I really question him physically and am not sure if he'll be a successful NFL starter. Could see him ending up like Leinart or Quinn because he'll struggle pushing the ball down the field.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i never really understood the hype last year, and i still really don't.

Not to say he's not an NFL QB. He has a lot of the smarts and the tools you want, but my question is...is he a true franchise changing QB? And my answer right now, is no. I just don't see it.

Isn't spectacular in any aspect of the game. Has too many 'off games'. Has too many 'ooops mistakes'. Doesn't have a great arm, and seems to get rattled by heavy pressure. These things are excusable with a mid-round prospect...but i feel like more than anything, running a pro-style offense has inflated his value, along with running an insane group of offensive weapons to throw to.

Again, that's not to say he can't be an NFL QB. But i just don't see him as the sort of high-upside guy you'd want to pick top-15.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any dome teams need a QB?
coors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im really interested in seeing all of his measurements and numbers when the combine comes around before the draft.. because I personally have never really thought of Barkley as a QB with potential of going #1 overall like a good amount of people throughout this country believe. He just reminds me of a lot of other QBs to come out of USC... (Leinart, Sanchez, even a John David Booty and some Carson Palmer too). I think that USC QBs tend to get overrated.. and I think that same thing of Barkley.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Any dome teams need a QB?

Minnesota?
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I think he's going to struggle throwing intermediate sideline routes outside the hashes. I can't see him being successful throwing the intermediate or deep out and the intermediate or deep comeback.

I can see that (Though outside the numbers not outside the hashes), those types of throws though will often depend the type of coverage and how good your receiver is.

The hardest thing with Barkley is that right now he is not throwing those outside breaking, outside the hashmarks throws (Something that made me fall in love with Tannehill as a prospect) so we cannot get any kind of gauge on whether, if asked, he could do it.

The thing is, those throws can be very effective on the collegiate level there must be a reason why the USC offense does not incorporate them, the #1 reason would be that you don't feel your QB is really capable of making those stick throws to the sidelines, those 10-12 yard outs and the 16-18 yard comebacks.

I have said about four or five times in twitter, and possibly here, the guy that I see the most when I look at Barkley is Chad Pennington.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: