Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rey Maualuga and Glenn Dorsey.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Rey Maualuga and Glenn Dorsey. Reply with quote

What do you guys think about bringing in Rey Maualuga to replace Jasper Brinkley and bringing in Glenn Dorsey to beef up the D-line?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Bengals fans will tell you that Maualuga has been bad this year, he isnt really an upgrade over Jasper Brinkley. Basically the same type of player, someone who will rack up tackles past the LOS and make very few impact plays.

As for Glenn Dorsey, id consider him. However, if Kevin Williams is resigned to be a starter, Dorsey doesnt really fit the mold of a NT. I dont think Dorsey offers much upside as a backup to Williams, he is 28. Id rather get a young DT to groom behind Williams. If Williams does leave, Dorsey would be a solid free agent option.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Most Bengals fans will tell you that Maualuga has been bad this year, he isnt really an upgrade over Jasper Brinkley. Basically the same type of player, someone who will rack up tackles past the LOS and make very few impact plays.

As for Glenn Dorsey, id consider him. However, if Kevin Williams is resigned to be a starter, Dorsey doesnt really fit the mold of a NT. I dont think Dorsey offers much upside as a backup to Williams, he is 28. Id rather get a young DT to groom behind Williams. If Williams does leave, Dorsey would be a solid free agent option.

I would like the idea of Williams at NT and Dorsey at UT because of his leverage advantage and his quick initial burst. As for Maulagua, I think he is just a little better than Brinkley. Do you think the Vikings will try to pull the trigger on Te'o?
AQuintus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to PFF, Maulagua is the only MLB in the league this year that has been worse than Brinkley. So, not to him.

I'd be open to Dorsey at UT as a replacement to Kevin Williams, but not at NT.

Edit:

KeithVikings28 wrote:
Do you think the Vikings will try to pull the trigger on Te'o?

If not Te'o, there's also Ogletree, Mosley, Arthur Brown, and Minter (though I'm not a fan), all of whom should be available with our first and maybe with our 2nd or even 3rd.

Out of all of the MLBs in the draft, including Te'o, I like Ogletree the best for this team due to his size, speed, and coverage ability.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
According to PFF, Maulagua is the only MLB in the league this year that has been worse than Brinkley. So, not to him.

I'd be open to Dorsey at UT as a replacement to Kevin Williams, but not at NT.

Edit:

KeithVikings28 wrote:
Do you think the Vikings will try to pull the trigger on Te'o?

If not Te'o, there's also Ogletree, Mosley, Arthur Brown, and Minter (though I'm not a fan), all of whom should be available with our first and maybe with our 2nd or even 3rd.

Out of all of the MLBs in the draft, including Te'o, I like Ogletree the best for this team due to his size, speed, and coverage ability.

I am huge on Olgetree, he is fast and very rangy. He is the ideal player for the Vikings MLB position. The only thing is his off field issues and where he falls in the draft. If the Vikings pick in the 20s it'll be a tough decision between MLB Olgetree and DT Jesse Williams. I really really want the Vikings to draft WR Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd or 3rd round, he is exactly what the offense needs. Rogers and Olgetree would be immediate impacts.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsey would be an interesting add. Would begin as a depth player, because he's not starting caliber on this team at the moment, but he has untapped ability primarily because he's played out of role for his entire career. Although he entered the league as a quality penetrating 3-tech, he's developed into a solid overall run stopper despite the regression in playing behind the opponents' OL, which made him a touted interior player at LSU.

Te'O? My favorite prospect in the draft as it currently shakes out. Unfortunately, we won't be picking top 10 - and more specifically, mid-high top 10. He is as complete a linebacker as you'll find in the game today.

I'd still be more than happy with Arthur Brown in the latter portion of round 1. Perhaps we pick in the late teens, early twenties and complete a minor trade back to gain proper value out of it if that's the route we go. Who knows at this point, but this is a good linebacker class at the top.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
I am huge on Olgetree, he is fast and very rangy. He is the ideal player for the Vikings MLB position. The only thing is his off field issues and where he falls in the draft. If the Vikings pick in the 20s it'll be a tough decision between MLB Olgetree and DT Jesse Williams. I really really want the Vikings to draft WR Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd or 3rd round, he is exactly what the offense needs. Rogers and Olgetree would be immediate impacts.

Narrowed down that much huh? I don't think so. Williams is also only a 2nd-3rd rounder at the moment. So taking him at 20 is a bit of a reach also considering he's a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ogletree is completely off our radar unless he falls into the 2nd round. We seem to avoid character concerns with our first round picks. Small sample size, but it appears to be the direction the team is going.
Captain Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be fine with Dorsey but not mauluga. I look at the best 4-3 defenses of the last decade and they all have one thing in common: elite middle linebackers (Willis, urlacher, and Lewis).. I think he will he gone before we draft but if the Vikings have ab opportunity to take Teo they had better take him or the Captain is going to stomp.his feet and throw a lil temper tantrum (you hear that Spielman). We desperately need an elite player in the middle of our defense. I believe Teo is just that guy.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
We seem to avoid character concerns with our first round picks. Small sample size, but it appears to be the direction the team is going.

That is a very small sample size, especially considering that we drafted Percy Harvin, who failed the "idiot test" at the Combine.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was at a completely different time for our franchise. When we drafted Percy in round 1, we were on the cusp of contention with a veteran laiden team and Harvin was a top 10 talent.

We are a rebuilding team now and building a team with troubled guys and unreliable people is going to cost you if you don't have a strong enough locker room around them.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

Narrowed down that much huh? I don't think so. Williams is also only a 2nd-3rd rounder at the moment. So taking him at 20 is a bit of a reach also considering he's a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ogletree is completely off our radar unless he falls into the 2nd round. We seem to avoid character concerns with our first round picks. Small sample size, but it appears to be the direction the team is going.

Percy Harvin had way more character concerns that Alec Ogeltree. Alec Ogeltree will fly up the boards once the combine rolls around. I think he will even make a push to replace Te'o as the 1st ILB taken in the draft. Te'o has reached his potential but Ogeltree is still progressing and has a higher ceiling. When he runs in the 4.5s and Te'o runs in the mid to high 4.7 range that will open a lot of people's eyes. And where are you getting your rankings that says Jesse Williams is a 2nd or 3rd round prospect? I can guarantee you that he is the 3rd DT taken off the board after Hankins and Lotulelei.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97502&draftyear=2013&genpos=DT
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbs and nfldraftscout are the same rankings essentially.

Walter football has him as the third rated nose tackle, and, currently, a 2nd-3rd round pick.

Kawann Short and Sheldon Richardson have a better chance of being the third DT off the board as they have pass rush ability whereas Williams doesn't. And, like I said, Williams is a better fit for a 3-4 defense.

-----

Percy Harvin was a Brad Childress era pick. I was speaking more to the draft picks since Spielman fully took over. Again, it's a very small sample size, but he seems to take high character, intelligent guys in the first round.

Last edited by rpmwr19 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
We seem to avoid character concerns with our first round picks. Small sample size, but it appears to be the direction the team is going.

That is a very small sample size, especially considering that we drafted Percy Harvin, who failed the "idiot test" at the Combine.

Different "regime" if you will, and I acknowledged it was a small sample size. The one I'm speaking of is even smaller than the one you bring up going back to Percy Harvin.
El Raymundo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
I really really want the Vikings to draft WR Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd or 3rd round, he is exactly what the offense needs. Rogers and Olgetree would be immediate impacts.

I can't think of a single guy with an apostrophe in his first name who's ever amounted to anything good in the NFL. I'm sure there must be some examples, but I can't think of any.

"Live as brave men; and if Fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." -- Cicero
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Raymundo wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:
I really really want the Vikings to draft WR Da'Rick Rogers in the 2nd or 3rd round, he is exactly what the offense needs. Rogers and Olgetree would be immediate impacts.

I can't think of a single guy with an apostrophe in his first name who's ever amounted to anything good in the NFL. I'm sure there must be some examples, but I can't think of any.

You remind me of the anonymous team-exec who asked Andy Dalton about how the lack of success red-headed quarterbacks have had in the NFL, back in 2011. Laughing

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: