Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Branden Albert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Branden Albert Reply with quote

We already talked a little bit about what it might take to bring Jovan Belcher back in 2013, and I wanted to get some opinions on what you think would be a solid contract offer for the Chiefs to present to Branden Albert and his agent. This offseason could be very interesting as both Jake Long and Ryan Clady are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents this upcoming offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if the agents for Clady and Albert play a wait-and-see game on contract negotiations that take place between the Miami Dolphins and the agent for Jake Long. Because of that, I think it could end up being harder to re-sign Albert early in free agency unless the Chiefs are willing to set a pretty high standard with a big contract offer. Personally, I would have tried to lock Albert up long before the 2013 offseason approached.

Ryan Clady rejected an offer earlier this year that was reportedly a deal for $50 million over 5 years with $28 million guaranteed. I would say unless there is a big market change, this contract would be the starting point for any future negotiations between both the Broncos and Clady and the Chiefs and Albert. In fact, I think if we want to get Albert signed as soon as possible to get that item off of the to-do list, we will have to come up with a contract that is larger than that amount. IMO the Duane Brown contract (see below) is likely to be a good baseline in negotiations with Albert.

The franchise tag does provide some flexibility to retain his rights through 2013 while allowing the team to continue to negotiate a long term deal for awhile longer.

The projected 2013 franchise tag for offensive linemen is $9.278 million.
(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/early-look-2013-franchise-tag-223213965--nfl.html)

Joe Thomas Contract

Duane Brown Contract

So what would your contract offer be to Albert if you were GM?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him $35mm for 6 years 15-20 mil guaranteed. Go from there.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:

RVM, I am not sure that deal would even get Albert and his agent at the negotiating table.

Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Rearviewmirror wrote:

RVM, I am not sure that deal would even get Albert and his agent at the negotiating table.

Why not? He's not some elite LT. He very good. Duane Brown got 7 for 56 that's 8 a year. 6 a year for Branden sounds pretty good to me. Maybe I'm wrong? Is he worth 8 a year?

I'd hope to get him for 6 years 42ish. 7 a year ultimately. I'm just talking about a starting point. Branden asks for Brown money I offer that we settle in the middle.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect Albert to get franchise tagged this offseason. I made that conclusion as soon as Stephensen was drafted and I haven't seen anything to contradict that. Just like Asamoah, Stephensen has seen a lot of rotational time in short yardage situations and "big" packages, lined up as a TE. If Albert comes cheap (doubtful), I see him being re-signed, but if not, I see Stephensen being our starter in 2014, giving him 2013 to keep learning and developing during the 2013 season. If he really impresses in camp, I could potentially see us moving Albert to LG and starting Stephensen at LT, but I also think that's unlikely. The only players I see us making a true effort to re-sign this offseason are Bowe, Belcher, Draughn and Maneri.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Mikek163

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
I fully expect Albert to get franchise tagged this offseason. I made that conclusion as soon as Stephensen was drafted and I haven't seen anything to contradict that. Just like Asamoah, Stephensen has seen a lot of rotational time in short yardage situations and "big" packages, lined up as a TE. If Albert comes cheap (doubtful), I see him being re-signed, but if not, I see Stephensen being our starter in 2014, giving him 2013 to keep learning and developing during the 2013 season. If he really impresses in camp, I could potentially see us moving Albert to LG and starting Stephensen at LT, but I also think that's unlikely. The only players I see us making a true effort to re-sign this offseason are Bowe, Belcher, Draughn and Maneri.

I remember having this discussion with you a while back. I completely agree and see it the same way you do. Stephenson will be given every possibility to start at LT in 2014. If he doesn't pan out then we simply sign Albert long term. If he does Albert is gonzo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:

I remember having this discussion with you a while back. I completely agree and see it the same way you do. Stephenson will be given every possibility to start at LT in 2014. If he doesn't pan out then we simply sign Albert long term. If he does Albert is gonzo.

See this is what I don't really get. I have seen comments regarding Bowe and now Albert that insinuate that we have the option of re-signing these players long term at any time at our convenience.

Your comment on Albert assumes that after we franchise him we can simply work out a long term deal at our leisure if Stephenson doesn't work out. So what do we do, franchise Albert at close to $10 million, move him to guard and have Stephenson start at left tackle? If Stephenson flops horribly we move Albert back to left tackle and sit Stephson? Then during the 2014 offseason we call Albert's agent and magically sign him to a contract?

So Stephenson is the starting left tackle in 2013 and Albert is the starting left guard? Are we giving up on Allen?

It's the same thing when I hear the people saying we do this or that and if this doesn't work out, hell, sign Bowe long term!

Mikek163

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:
ryknowssd wrote:

See this is what I don't really get. I have seen comments regarding Bowe and now Albert that insinuate that we have the option of re-signing these players long term at any time at our convenience.

Your comment on Albert assumes that after we franchise him we can simply work out a long term deal at our leisure if Stephenson doesn't work out. So what do we do, franchise Albert at close to $10 million, move him to guard and have Stephenson start at left tackle? If Stephenson flops horribly we move Albert back to left tackle and sit Stephson? Then during the 2014 offseason we call Albert's agent and magically sign him to a contract?

So Stephenson is the starting left tackle in 2013 and Albert is the starting left guard? Are we giving up on Allen?

It's the same thing when I hear the people saying we do this or that and if this doesn't work out, hell, sign Bowe long term!

Nope. Franchise Albert and play him every game at LT. Stephenson is simply given another year to mature and get better technically. The coaching staff should be able to tell if he can handle the LT duties after the years done. And like I said, if he isn't, we resign Albert long term and give him the money that he's earned. Albert isn't going to complain the same way Bowe did about his contract. 2 different positions completely in terms of wanting the "longevity" of a contract.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there no way hes going to get paid like Long or even Clady.
That said he is a solid OT. I woudl still extend a fair contract offer.

WORST COACH IN KC HISTORY
Thanks for the sig Saintsfan
Mikek163

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedandGold wrote:
there no way hes going to get paid like Long or even Clady.
That said he is a solid OT. I woudl still extend a fair contract offer.

Just throwing ths out there but have you seen Long play at all this year? The guy isn't even playing like a top 15 LT in the league.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Albert at all costs and I do not see Stephenson starting at LT for our team anytime soon. LTs have a very high value, when you have a top 10 one, like the Chiefs and still young enough, you keep him, especially that our new young QB will need to be well protected next year and beyond.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, some teams have been looking for a decent LT for years. I'd rather not just assume we can find one somewhere. We need to attempt to re-sign him now. I'd think we could land him for a 5-yr deal that was in the $35MM range, maybe as high as $40MM.

Andrew Whitworth (2011) - 5yr - $31MM ($6MM avg)
Brick Ferguson (2010) - 8yr $73.6MM ($9.2MM avg)
Duane Brown (2012) - 6yr $53.4MM ($8.9MM avg)
Donald Penn (2010) - 6yr $41.7MM ($7MM avg)

I'd think a deal that averages $7MM per year is appropriate given the above. Maybe $7.5MM considering the new CBA shift to vet's getting paid more.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Yeah, some teams have been looking for a decent LT for years. I'd rather not just assume we can find one somewhere. We need to attempt to re-sign him now. I'd think we could land him for a 5-yr deal that was in the $35MM range, maybe as high as $40MM.

Andrew Whitworth (2011) - 5yr - $31MM ($6MM avg)
Brick Ferguson (2010) - 8yr $73.6MM ($9.2MM avg)
Duane Brown (2012) - 6yr $53.4MM ($8.9MM avg)
Donald Penn (2010) - 6yr $41.7MM ($7MM avg)

I'd think a deal that averages $7MM per year is appropriate given the above. Maybe $7.5MM considering the new CBA shift to vet's getting paid more.

I can't help but think he is going to be somewhere inbetween Donald Penn and Duane Brown. We need to get him locked up before Long and Clady. It seems that Clady is looking to top Brown's deal.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Donald Penn contract is pretty interesting because according to spotrac.com, his signing bonus was $2,000,000 but through 2011 and 2015 he gets a $1,000,000 misc. bonus (roster bonus maybe?)

2010 : $4,500,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $0 misc. bonus, $4,833,333 cap hit.
2011 : $7,200,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $8,533,333 cap hit.
2012 : $5,100,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $6,433,333 cap hit.
2013 : $5,000,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $6,333,333 cap hit.
2014 : $6,400,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $7,733,333 cap hit.
2015 : $6,500,000 base salary, $333,333 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $7,833,333 cap hit.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this offer? 5 year contract, $40,000,000 total value, $11,000,000 signing bonus, $2,500,000 in roster bonuses (2014-2017). The contract averages $8,000,000 per year.

2013 : $4,000,000 base salary, $2,200,000 signing bonus, $0 roster bonus, $6,200,000 cap hit.
2014 : $5,000,000 base salary, $2,200,000 signing bonus, $250,000 roster bonus, $7,650,000 cap hit.
2015 : $5,500,000 base salary, $2,200,000 signing bonus, $500,000 roster bonus, $8,200,000 cap hit.
2016 : $6,000,000 base salary, $2,200,000 signing bonus, $750,000 roster bonus, $8,950,000 cap hit.
2017 : $6,000,000 base salary, $2,200,000 signing bonus, $1,000,000 misc. bonus, $9,200,000 cap hit.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: