Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dove Valley - Official Front Office Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
From what I understand, Gibbs was brought in to help the young players develop and hone their technique, not to coordinate a blocking scheme. The primarily MBS with occasional zone plays mixed in will continue to be our approach.
That makes sense considering our personnel. I wonder if they will use him for game planning? That is another strength of his. Good move in my estimation. The guy makes great players and his influence always creates good offensive lines. The Broncos will be lethal if they improve as a team rushing the football. Gibbs can have that kind of impact.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
From what I understand, Gibbs was brought in to help the young players develop and hone their technique, not to coordinate a blocking scheme. The primarily MBS with occasional zone plays mixed in will continue to be our approach.
That makes sense considering our personnel. I wonder if they will use him for game planning? That is another strength of his. Good move in my estimation. The guy makes great players and his influence always creates good offensive lines. The Broncos will be lethal if they improve as a team rushing the football. Gibbs can have that kind of impact.

He's also incredible at developing young talent. Guys like Matt Lepsis come to mind. Given all the raw young talent on the OL it should be fun to watch how they develop. Preseason ought to be fun. Especially our 2nd unit OL.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, Big Al mentioned on The Drive that Gibbs is going to bring an intense personality with him. That in fact it can be suspected that this may have been the sole reason for this addition since Magazu already is a very good OL coach.

Can some of you who are more familar with Gibbs back from his Shanahan days share some insight on this? Is Gibbs the hardarsch who Alfred says he is?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gibbs is just being brought in to sort of implement some ZBS ideas and let Magazu do his work.

The Broncos have a very good group of coaches as is, I think Gibbs just adds to it, but he'll have respect for the dynamic. He's not gonna come in and start demanding the OL guys don't talk to the media again, for example.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Yesterday, Big Al mentioned on The Drive that Gibbs is going to bring an intense personality with him. That in fact it can be suspected that this may have been the sole reason for this addition since Magazu already is a very good OL coach.

Can some of you who are more familar with Gibbs back from his Shanahan days share some insight on this? Is Gibbs the hardarsch who Alfred says he is?

He is.

really, I think more than anything he's being brought in to develop the kids. Gibbs is the best "technician" in the game and his OL's reflect it.

I'm expecting some very rapid development among our young prospects.

Personally I don't think a ZBS has much to do with him being here.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see Gibbs back in the NFL. Hopefully he manages to influence the rest of the coaching staff because he's always been brilliant at what he does.

Somehow it's weird seeing him with us where a lot of the interesting developments regarding zone blocking teams are happening with read/option and things like that. I can't help but wonder what Gibbs' view on all that is.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Good to see Gibbs back in the NFL. Hopefully he manages to influence the rest of the coaching staff because he's always been brilliant at what he does.

Somehow it's weird seeing him with us where a lot of the interesting developments regarding zone blocking teams are happening with read/option and things like that. I can't help but wonder what Gibbs' view on all that is.

My guess is he thinks it's a stupid gimmick. Just based on his personality it seems that'd be the case.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
My guess is he thinks it's a stupid gimmick. Just based on his personality it seems that'd be the case.

Gibbs actually studied Urban Meyer's Gators(and they studied him, heavily) and some other teams a lot when he was with the Falcons and installed some concepts with Michael Vick. Obviously it wasn't well developed relative to what Washington did last year(because no read/option ever was as well developed as what Washington did last year) but he's already shown interest.

Anyone interested in Alex Gibbs(which you should be if you're a decent human being) should know about this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eapTYIeEzpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fRunvq4hA (+ the 7 other parts of this)

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Gibbs actually studied Urban Meyer's Gators(and they studied him, heavily) and some other teams a lot when he was with the Falcons and installed some concepts with Michael Vick. Obviously it wasn't well developed relative to what Washington did last year(because no read/option ever was as well developed as what Washington did last year) but he's already shown interest.

I completely forgot that he worked in Atlanta. I could be completely wrong then. He just seems old school to me, in that he would use these read option plays sparingly and not make an entire offense out of it.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I completely forgot that he worked in Atlanta. I could be completely wrong then. He just seems old school to me, in that he would use these read option plays sparingly and not make an entire offense out of it.

No good NFL offense would make their entire makeup be about the read/option. A lot of people talk about team's last year like they played like that. But if you look at the 49ers or the Redskins, the reason their read/option plays worked is because they were a compliment to a running game that was already killing opposing offenses. Whereas the Panthers at times were a little closer to basing a run offense around the read/option and of course it was a mess, with a lot of plays where DeAngelo Williams takes a carry and gets stuffed. It was like watching a Chip Kelly's Oregon teams playing in the NFL. Not a pretty sight.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

No good NFL offense would make their entire makeup be about the read/option. A lot of people talk about team's last year like they played like that. But if you look at the 49ers or the Redskins, the reason their read/option plays worked is because they were a compliment to a running game that was already killing opposing offenses. Whereas the Panthers at times were a little closer to basing a run offense around the read/option and of course it was a mess, with a lot of plays where DeAngelo Williams takes a carry and gets stuffed. It was like watching a Chip Kelly's Oregon teams playing in the NFL. Not a pretty sight.

I was at the Carolina/Denver game last year, and you're completely right. I remember them trying to run read option plays in the first two quarters and it was obviously a disaster. Not surprisingly, once Ron Rivera and co realized it wasn't working, the offense did much better in the latter part of the season.

The Redskins, in my opinion were the next closest to running an offense like Carolina's but it was more controlled, if that makes sense. They had a good idea of how to run the read option and do it successfully instead of just running it for the hell of it like Carolina.

Thanks, Tzimisce
hibdib31

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Anyone interested in Alex Gibbs(which you should be if you're a decent human being) should know about this stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eapTYIeEzpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fRunvq4hA (+ the 7 other parts of this)

Thanks for these...very cool.
Here's one reviewing the Denver line with Terrell Davis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNa3gZfQfH0

Can really pick up on his personality in these and I love it!

"We don't block corners, we block safeties. We make corners tackle. They're as s****y as tacklers in our league as in yours."
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure where else to put this, but apparently the three guys who stood out today at OTAs were:

Brock Osweiler
Greg Orton
Chris Harris

I'm glad to see the first two stepping up, and there have been multiple tweets about how good Osweiler looked and how improved his footwork and hip drop have been from last year.

Orton, like I said, looks to have an inside track to the #4 spot, as the coaches reportedly really like him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Not really sure where else to put this, but apparently the three guys who stood out today at OTAs were:

Brock Osweiler
Greg Orton
Chris Harris

I'm glad to see the first two stepping up, and there have been multiple tweets about how good Osweiler looked and how improved his footwork and hip drop have been from last year.

Orton, like I said, looks to have an inside track to the #4 spot, as the coaches reportedly really like him.

Whoa! QB controversy.
copeland

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Brock Osweiler
Greg Orton
Chris Harris

Do you think King or Caldwell make the team? Or either?
I guess I can see King remaining with the organization over Caldwell, mostly because he was a draft pick. In what capacity, I'm not sure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: