Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dove Valley - Official Front Office Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
Elway repeatedly said they're looking to hit on their top pick with a guy that will play for 10 years.

Does anyone take that as - no boom or bust types/no projects? Will they want to pick someone they have enough knowledge/tape on that they know what they'll be getting?

To me that sounds like one of those Derek Wolfe types. The type of guy that you'd see the Steelers take, "bring your lunch pail to work" type guys.

In this draft and in the first round, Id immediately throw out the names of Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones, Margus Hunt, DJ Hayden, Bjoern Werner, Blidi Wreh-wilson and John Cyprien.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:
Elway repeatedly said they're looking to hit on their top pick with a guy that will play for 10 years.

Does anyone take that as - no boom or bust types/no projects? Will they want to pick someone they have enough knowledge/tape on that they know what they'll be getting?

To me that sounds like one of those Derek Wolfe types. The type of guy that you'd see the Steelers take, "bring your lunch pail to work" type guys.

In this draft and in the first round, Id immediately throw out the names of Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones, Margus Hunt, DJ Hayden, Bjoern Werner, Blidi Wreh-wilson and John Cyprien.

'throw out' as in presenting to us players who fit the Wolfe type or as in making a case for ignoring them?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

'throw out' as in presenting to us players who fit the Wolfe type or as in making a case for ignoring them?

PRESENTING as Wolfe-like players. Guys that have no had much question about work ethic and very few about production.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two really entertaining articles. The headline on one is misleading IE; "Immediate Impact" No where does Elway reference immediate.

Anyway, thought you guys would enjoy these. Elways becoming quite a draft "poker player". Really hard to read/

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23084121/broncos-john-elway-has-plenty-options-deep-nfl

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23083545/john-elways-draft-goal-remains-same-broncos-immediate
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos sign Ex-Browns GM

Albert Breer wrote:
Heckert will be assuming the role of director of pro personnel vacated by the departure of Keith Kidd.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/tom-heckert-to-join-broncos-front-office-staff/

- - -

Major move by Elway which immediately improves that department. Heckert had a couple of very good drafts in Cleveland and many Browns fans on this forum were hoping for him being retained by the new regime.

Good move!

by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Broncos sign Ex-Browns GM

Albert Breer wrote:
Heckert will be assuming the role of director of pro personnel vacated by the departure of Keith Kidd.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/tom-heckert-to-join-broncos-front-office-staff/

- - -

Major move by Elway which immediately improves that department. Heckert had a couple of very good drafts in Cleveland and many Browns fans on this forum were hoping for him being retained by the new regime.

Good move!

Although Andy Reid had final say in Philly, Heckert didnt show much there IMO. His last 2 years drafting in CLE were decent. I guess it cant hurt to have another experienced voice in the room.

In Elway we trust.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Heckert, that's a good hire! He has experience as a GM in his own right and has worked under the likes of Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid. He'll be another strong, experienced voice in the room.

Another homerun from Elway.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in NFL News, I think his title is a misnomer. Heckert has decent draft experience and I think with the 2014 draft being big and all drafts really post-Manning, we needed another draft type guy in the room.

This FO is much more about collaboration then titles, and while he may report up to Elway and Russell, he will have a very important role.

Love the hire personally.

Thanks, Tzimisce
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heckert looks just like a relative of mine minus glasses. Good hire though.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
As I said in NFL News, I think his title is a misnomer. Heckert has decent draft experience and I think with the 2014 draft being big and all drafts really post-Manning, we needed another draft type guy in the room.

Hes Pro Personnel not college. Russell is in charge of College scouting, that wont change.

I think Heckert will play a large role in Free Agency and roster decisions.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Hes Pro Personnel not college. Russell is in charge of College scouting, that wont change.

Right, I know he's pro personnel, and what I'm saying is I think it's a bit of a misleading title because he's had a lot of success dealing with the drafts in Cleveland, and his role will be collaborative with Russell and Elway.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Right, I know he's pro personnel, and what I'm saying is I think it's a bit of a misleading title because he's had a lot of success dealing with the drafts in Cleveland, and his role will be collaborative with Russell and Elway.

This is true. Cleveland is well known for their draft picks. They have been very successful as a result.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way my friend at Dove Valley explained it, Heckert will be on the same level Russell. Those two, along with Fox whose influence on personnel decisions is not fully appreciated by fans and the media, will form a triumvirate under Elway. All three have roughly equal pull with Elway on personnel decisions, pro and college, and work in collaboration together and, in turn, rely on the advice of their various underlings in the personnel departments and coaching staff.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much the Heckert hiring stems from the mess of Dumervil's contract. That incident embarrassed the team. With additional veteran contracts coming up soon, an experienced exec will help.

There is also the possibility that Andy Reid wanted to hire Heckert in KC to replace Pioli so Elway moved to deny a rival.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
The way my friend at Dove Valley explained it, Heckert will be on the same level Russell. Those two, along with Fox whose influence on personnel decisions is not fully appreciated by fans and the media, will form a triumvirate under Elway. All three have roughly equal pull with Elway on personnel decisions, pro and college, and work in collaboration together and, in turn, rely on the advice of their various underlings in the personnel departments and coaching staff.

Good to hear. For the first time in a decade I feel like we have a top notch, first tier franchise front office.

by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: