Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dove Valley - Official Front Office Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Fox's press conference today JD Walton will be the starter going into next season. Didn't know where else to put it, but that's that.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Per Fox's press conference today JD Walton will be the starter going into next season. Didn't know where else to put it, but that's that.

And he should be. He played very well at the start of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I agree. There were some who thought it should be Koppen, though. Big issue for Denver will be OL health though, per Mase (@MaseDenver) the only healthy OL for OTAs will be Zane Beadles.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I agree. There were some who thought it should be Koppen, though. Big issue for Denver will be OL health though, per Mase (@MaseDenver) the only healthy OL for OTAs will be Zane Beadles.

Whats wrong with Franklin?

I dont think we'll be that bad with depth. Those 3 (Walton, Clady and Kuper) will be fine by training camp and this gives Phillip Blake, Manny Ramirez, SJ Davis, Chris Clark and a couple camp rookie bodies, the chance to win a job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Whats wrong with Franklin?

I dont think we'll be that bad with depth. Those 3 (Walton, Clady and Kuper) will be fine by training camp and this gives Phillip Blake, Manny Ramirez, SJ Davis, Chris Clark and a couple camp rookie bodies, the chance to win a job.

Franklin had toe surgery, but Mase just said he'll also be back for OTAs.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jup, I think this news belongs here. Anyways... yes, Walton should be the starter. How long is Koppen under conract, though? Decent back-up.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt know where else to put these thoughts so I bumped this thread up because it fits on my thoughts. AAA and elliot, hope its not that big of an issue. My intentions were sincere.

I got to thinking about how our front office acted in free agency this morning. After I let the dust settle and my fanhood to cool down, I wanted to dive into the perspective and plans they have in mind.

Ok, clearly Peyton Manning is on a two-year plan with the team. He'll be the starter for a minimum of two-years. This point was made clear when the front office decided not to restructure his deal, leaving the team to owe Peyton $20M over the next 2 years. Everyones on-board with this, barring injury.

Now looking at the signings we just made... Aside from Vasquez (which is an excellent signing for the present and future of this OL), Big Vick (2 years) Knighton (2 years), Welker (2 years), Bradley (1 year) and DMC (1 year) all are apart of "The two-year plan". Elway and the Front Office are "All-In" for these final two years of Mannings tenure in Denver, then the team will switch over to a younger team, with Brock Osweiler at the helm.

The next step in the offseason process in the draft. Some say we will address the needs of S and MLB. While I dont disagree that we might, I actually think were on a different plan. All these signings are for two years or less and made very few weaknesses on this team.

Okay, now hear me out...

Last year, we drafted Wolfe (future DT- my opinion), Brock (high-potential- future QB), Hillman (high-potential- big play RB), Bolden (high-potential- future starting CB) and Malik Jackson (high potential- future situational DL) to name those drafted first. Thats a DT, QB, RB, CB and DE/DT. All those positions had older players playing ahead of them.

This year, I think the plan might be to draft depth but not just any old depth, HIGH-POTENTIAL depth. We take take a risk on a high-potential player (like Brock Osweiler and Omar Bolden last year) because they can sit a year or two to learn. Look at the positions of DT (Both free agents were 2 year deals), WR (Welker got 2 years) and CB (DMC got 1 year and Champs got 2 more). I believe we will focus on these positional groups to supplant these veterans when their deals are done.

Basically, I believe Elways got a 2-year "All-In" type of plan with veterans, then look to fill those spots with high-potential draftees after 2 years of maturity in the NFL. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jersey I agree with your insight. It's a two pronged approach. Win now while building for the future. And Elway is doing it with precision. Starting next year, you will see a couple veterans per year not resigned while being replaced by emerging draftees.
By the time Manning leaves, our salary cap should still be in awesome shape and the team should still be in a position to contend year in year out having stacked draft class after draft class of players who have had a chance to come in and learn on the job with no pressure to perform right away.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Didnt know where else to put these thoughts so I bumped this thread up because it fits on my thoughts. AAA and elliot, hope its not that big of an issue. My intentions were sincere.

I got to thinking about how our front office acted in free agency this morning. After I let the dust settle and my fanhood to cool down, I wanted to dive into the perspective and plans they have in mind.

Ok, clearly Peyton Manning is on a two-year plan with the team. He'll be the starter for a minimum of two-years. This point was made clear when the front office decided not to restructure his deal, leaving the team to owe Peyton $20M over the next 2 years. Everyones on-board with this, barring injury.

Now looking at the signings we just made... Aside from Vasquez (which is an excellent signing for the present and future of this OL), Big Vick (2 years) Knighton (2 years), Welker (2 years), Bradley (1 year) and DMC (1 year) all are apart of "The two-year plan". Elway and the Front Office are "All-In" for these final two years of Mannings tenure in Denver, then the team will switch over to a younger team, with Brock Osweiler at the helm.

The next step in the offseason process in the draft. Some say we will address the needs of S and MLB. While I dont disagree that we might, I actually think were on a different plan. All these signings are for two years or less and made very few weaknesses on this team.

Okay, now hear me out...

Last year, we drafted Wolfe (future DT- my opinion), Brock (high-potential- future QB), Hillman (high-potential- big play RB), Bolden (high-potential- future starting CB) and Malik Jackson (high potential- future situational DL) to name those drafted first. Thats a DT, QB, RB, CB and DE/DT. All those positions had older players playing ahead of them.

This year, I think the plan might be to draft depth but not just any old depth, HIGH-POTENTIAL depth. We take take a risk on a high-potential player (like Brock Osweiler and Omar Bolden last year) because they can sit a year or two to learn. Look at the positions of DT (Both free agents were 2 year deals), WR (Welker got 2 years) and CB (DMC got 1 year and Champs got 2 more). I believe we will focus on these positional groups to supplant these veterans when their deals are done.

Basically, I believe Elways got a 2-year "All-In" type of plan with veterans, then look to fill those spots with high-potential draftees after 2 years of maturity in the NFL. Thoughts?

I mostly agree, but not about the "Manning two year all in part". I think it's just part of this FO's personnel policy. Draft for the future, high character, high motor competitors. Then fill out your roster with 1/2 year contracts.

I think the long term deals and extensions will be saved for our drafted players.

Elway and Sullivan have become the kings of the short term cap friendly deals. Sometimes only slight roster upgrades, but upgrades none the less.

Your point about Vasquez is very relevant. The only guy with a long term deal. Gives our OL continuity, quality and youth. Good qualities.

I love the approach and it's pretty tough to argue with success
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

That's totally cool. This was created with the intention of being a running thread anyway, it's just non-stickied running thread.

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

I see and understand what you're saying here.

But I don't think it represents the full-out "all in for 2 years." If you look at the free agent deals we've made under Elway, most of them are low-risk moves to fill in gaps in the roster while the real core of the team is acquired via the draft. Free agents are basically stop-gaps. Vasquez, like you point out, is a different story as he's a building-block that fills both a short-term need and provides a long-term option at a key position.

I certainly don't think you're wrong here, I'm just viewing it a different way.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Cutler06

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've noticed about Elway and the FO is they keep things close to the vest. You don't hear leaks about it until it is in the works.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know free agents are stop-gaps. My feelings are that just because we got Wes Welker doesnt mean we wont take a WR in the 1st round. Id actually think they will consider it more. Look at high-potential guys, that may slip, who can sit and learn behind a seasoned veteran.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I know free agents are stop-gaps. My feelings are that just because we got Wes Welker doesnt mean we wont take a WR in the 1st round. Id actually think they will consider it more. Look at high-potential guys, that may slip, who can sit and learn behind a seasoned veteran.

Good post. IMO you couldn't be more correct. With our FO's mastery of FA, we're really left with few holes and basically nothing dire.

Both you and germ-x have been proponents of drafting with an eye towards untapped potential. We're well positioned for that type of approach. Pretty tough with our present roster to find places where a rookie will step right in as a major contributor anyway.

Be interesting to see which way we go in the draft. Beats the hell out of me! Wink
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see us taking one of the safeties in the first round which would be a solid choice. Lacy is another option. We will draft a WR early, I feel pretty strongly about that. I think it'd be smart too

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Good post. IMO you couldn't be more correct. With our FO's mastery of FA, we're really left with few holes and basically nothing dire.

Both you and germ-x have been proponents of drafting with an eye towards untapped potential. We're well positioned for that type of approach. Pretty tough with our present roster to find places where a rookie will step right in as a major contributor anyway.

Be interesting to see which way we go in the draft. Beats the hell out of me! Wink

germ-x is always ahead of the game with the high-potential players. Hes got me beat every year. Love his insight when its offered.

broncos67 wrote:
I can see us taking one of the safeties in the first round which would be a solid choice. Lacy is another option. We will draft a WR early, I feel pretty strongly about that. I think it'd be smart too

I dont see Lacy as a RB that John Fox likes, nor a RB that fits this offense. Hes a slow bruiser that lacks in pass pro and being a receiver out of the backfield. Not a hurry-up (Peyton) guy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: